Crushed insect, what is it?

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
tecsinnet
Reactions:
Netherlands

Crushed insect, what is it?

Post by tecsinnet »

I found this insect hiding on my counter, under a cutting board. When I lifted up the cutting board it appeared and moved to hide against a bottle. I lifted up the bottle where it sat for a moment, so I crushed it before it could move. Can anybody still tell what it is?
20240913_153742.jpg
20240913_153742.jpg (275.52 KiB) Viewed 192 times
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Crushed insect, what is it?

Post by livingplanet3 »

tecsinnet
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by tecsinnet »

Do you have any idea whether I should expect there are more in my kitchen? As of the stories I know about cockroaches they spread quite quickly.
vabrou
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

Living here for the past 75 years in Louisiana, I can guarantee that every person in the state deals with these 6-legged bastards 12 months every year. You can find hundreds of products out there to get rid of these roaches. Roaches are primarily nocturnal and most species fly about. Here at my home we have 6 or more different species, the largest Periplaneta americana (Linnaeus) a common pest that enters homes was actually introduced in to N.A. from Africa. All 6 of these species here at my home normally habit the surrounding woodlands. Only a few are pests get into homes.

Most of the species which are pest to humans, including the very large P. americana can be controlled without spraying deadly toxic poisons throughout your home using easily obtainable Boric acid. About 40 years ago I ordered a case of https://www.amazon.com/Harris-Tablets-Kille, boric acid in an easily and safe to handle form (tablets) which you simply place 2-3 tablets behind your appliances, in pantry's, in closets, in hidden areas. Works better than all other products found today and not really expensive, just toss around and forget about it. I still have half of the case I ordered 40 years ago, unused today. All of those roach sprays are very destructive and dangerous to spray in your living areas, as they use neurotoxins deadly to all living creatures. And the roach spray toxic poisons are delivered usually using petroleum liquids, not good for wood and plastics in your home.

Plectoptera picta is a tiny roach species (jpg attached) that I first collected here in Louisiana back in the 1970s, that when I obtained an ID on, it so happens that back then there were only 4 adults known to have been captured in the USA. Well over the past half century I have personally captured tens of thousands of this tree dwelling species in my high-wattage UV light traps. Jpg attached of some pinned and labeled adults. Over the past half century I have placed hundreds of specimens of P. picta in several US museums.

Equally surprising is that most persons living in the Gulf states have never ever seen the most common roach that occurs here. It never enters buildings or homes and stays hidden among trees, and is totally pastel green in color. There are other brown species which are also found among leaf liter which never enters homes here.
Attachments
Box #21-218 coleoptera + 231 Plectoptera picta tot-449 60%.jpg
Box #21-218 coleoptera + 231 Plectoptera picta tot-449 60%.jpg (529.54 KiB) Viewed 163 times
tecsinnet
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by tecsinnet »

Thanks for your extensive answer. However the link doesn't work for me.
BTW I live in the netherlands, usually we rarely see cockroaches over here. So I have little experience with them and was wondering whether this one could already have laid eggs. Is it a yound one or adult enough for that?
vabrou
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

search for boric acid roach tablets where you live. If you have one, you have a lots of others. The spray cans of neurotoxins wont continue to kill these roaches, but the boric acid tabs will continue to kill them for years.
tecsinnet
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by tecsinnet »

Indeed found a second one now. I also ordered a gel containing imidacloprid. It seems they eat this and take it with them in their hiding place where they then die. There others are killed by eating the dead ones.