So, what's on your spreading board ?

General discussion on entomology
vabrou
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: So, what's on your spreading board ?

Post by vabrou »

58chevy,no chevy's here, but I was both a 68 Super Bee (motor: 383 cu.in. magnum) and a 68 Roadrunner (motor: 383 cu in)....

Regarding Melittia cucurbitae, the genus name was revised in recent years to Eichlinia. I have run clearwing moth traps 24-hours daily and non-stop since 1968 until 2024 , logging 32,500,000 trap hours just using semiochemical lures alone, and I have never captured a single specimen of any Eichlinia species using these hundreds of different semiochemicals singly or in any various percentage combinations.

Knudson & Bordelon (2010?) listed five species of this genus in Texas, but this species only from a single county in NE Texas. E. cucurbitae has no doubt been reported from various locations in N.A. but some were actually the differently marked E. calabaza which is found broadly across eastern Texas. K&B also listed these other species of the genus Eichlinia for the state of Texas: E. snowii, E. grandis, E. gloriosa and E. magnifica. Though most of these apparently captured by hand netting and not using semiochemicals.

My small series of E. cucurbitae captured in Louisiana were captured using hand netting near the larval foodplants, and a single female taken in one of my numerous dozens of automatic-capture light traps operating for the past 55+ years.

Here pictured is that single light trapped captured female taken 11-23-2007 near Abita Springs, Louisiana, USA. We have been operating clearwing moth traps across Louisiana using semiochemical lures every year since they became available to us in 1975 until today 2024.

So you can appreciate the extent of our self-funded research involving clearwing moths, I have also attached listings of the hundreds of traps and lure identities we used in just one 26-month study of the clearwin g moths of Caddo Parish, Louisiana. This kind of CW moth semiochemical research has occurred non-stop over the past 49 years across Louisiana.

and Trehoppr1, In the USA, the largest species is E. gloriosa, not E. cucurbitae. E. snowii is the smallest of the genus. Most, if not all members of this CW moth genus occurs also into Mexico. Sorry I don't have a more exhaustive answer about these, but I collect all insects and need to sleep some times.
Attachments
2019 -87 trap-lure identities jpg.jpg
2019 -87 trap-lure identities jpg.jpg (267.22 KiB) Viewed 596 times
2018g.jpg
2018g.jpg (736.12 KiB) Viewed 596 times
2011-11-23_19-24-50_-_DSCF0009-removebg-preview.png
2011-11-23_19-24-50_-_DSCF0009-removebg-preview.png (224.04 KiB) Viewed 596 times
vabrou
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

To clarify: the illustrated two specimens by 58 chevy on Aug 23, are actually Eichlinia gloriosa and not E. cucurbitae. Here is the plate from Knudson & Bordelon (2010?) showing all of the Texas species of the genus Eichlinia.
Attachments
species names.jpg
species names.jpg (182.99 KiB) Viewed 589 times
adults 9-16.jpg
adults 9-16.jpg (167.32 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Last edited by vabrou on Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Vernon, thanks for the info. I was unaware of the genus revision. Looks like I had the wrong species ID anyway. Time to make a new label. E. gloriosa appears to be rarer than I thought it was. I'm glad my specimens have survived all these years.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hello 58chevy and Vernon,

Thank you both for your replies regarding the picture of 58chevy's squash fine borer species. I knew immediately when I saw those two specimens pictured that they were NOT Eichlinia curcurbitae based on their size. At the time, I just could not come up with the species name from memory.

I first found out about E. gloriosa through pure happenstance. About 5 years ago a collector friend contacted me to come out and see a portion of a western collection that he had purchased. While we were looking through all of the wonderful material I spotted a singular specimen of E. gloriosa which was unmistakably bigger than any squash vine board type moth I'd ever seen.

I made sure to take two pictures of the specimen. I will post the two pictures of the specimen which I saw in my friends collection very shortly....
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Here are my 2 photographs of the lone specimen of
Eichlinia (Melittia) gloriosa which I first encountered
in a friend's collection some 5 years ago.

As you can see by the data the specimen was taken
in Kiowa Co., Kansas.
evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by evra »

I've found E. gloriosa to be really common in the southwest on Cucurbita foetidissima, which is a very conspicuous sprawling vine with big dagger-shaped leaves that grows along highways in patches. E. snowii also uses it and their larvae make galls in the vines of the plants, so it is really easy to know if they are present. I'm pretty sure the other species bore into the roots, so it's not so obvious if they are present, but in my experience if you find the plant, you should find at least 1 of the species. Here's a picture of 2 galls of E. snowii:
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg (178.92 KiB) Viewed 542 times
The squash vine borer lure from Great Lakes IPM is really effective at attracting both of them in August. It also works on Euhagena emphytiformis, but that flies in October. I think that species feeds on Gaura, which is even more common throughout a lot of Arizona at elevations of 4000-7000'.

Like most clearwings though, without the lure it's pretty hopeless.
vabrou
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

Trehopr1, I cleaned up one of your (Ron Huber, coll.) Eichlinia gloriosa images. Feel free to save it to your files.

Vernon
Attachments
mpSUOfK-removebg-preview crorep.jpg
mpSUOfK-removebg-preview crorep.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Thank you very kindly Vernon ! 🙏☺️
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

boghaunter1 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:44 pm I see so many rare, beautiful leps (online & even here on this site) with huge (Japanese style?) gaps... &... yes I cringe!...
I used to mount in the style you prefer, but then when identification and morphology became more important to me I have largely shifted to the "low hindwing" style. I've become accustomed to it, and in some cases actually prefer it.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

As I clearly stated before... "yes I cringe!... again, my opinion only... everyone can do as they like..."
evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by evra »

Here are a few of the Saturniids I've caught in the last couple of months that are drying on my boards right now.
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 209 times
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Nice haul, Evra!