Inherited a huge collection

Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
CalZap0
Reactions:
United States of America

Inherited a huge collection

Post by CalZap0 »

Hello!

I have received a collection that belonged to my great-grandmother. I have 50 species of butterflies, all of them are from China, I have the paperwork on all of the butterflies, they are in mint condition and organized. I am unsure of the legality on selling butterflies from China (this collection is from 1956). I do adore insects but I do not have a hobby in collecting mounted insects. I want to sell the collection to someone that does. But I want to make sure its legal. I also am positive that some of the species might be extinct or endangered now than in 1956.
I have a image that proves this but the image is too large.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Inherited a huge collection

Post by Chuck »

Hi,

Condition and data for each specimen is important. You can get a free account and host images at imgur and then post the link here.

1956 predates CITES and many other laws. It does not predate Lacey Act, however in 1956 China didn't have many export regulations, and to prove any specimens are illegal someone would have to dig up the Chinese laws of 1956 and translate them.

There are retailers that will buy bulk collections, and depending on what you have, some people here might too.

Note that you cannot be positive that some might be extinct, because that's not exactly positive.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

CalZap0 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:38 pm I have a image that proves this but the image is too large.
I originally had picture posting problems. You can edit your picture, both in Pixels, and in size itself, it's easier than you might think.
I've been able to post photos from the phone, which takes very high resolution, as well as from the Nikon. With a few tries, it should become
a simple thing. Believe me, I have a number of mental blocks when it comes to technology, but I was able to manage.
I do use a laptop for editing, I don't know if the phone itself can do that.
Hepialus
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Hepialus »

Depending on species I might be interested in some of these.