Recent posts
Topic: It's just a word- | Author: kevinkk | Replies: 6 | Views: 87
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: It's just a word-

by adamcotton » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 am

A. S. Meek was a famous insect collector, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Stewart_Meek

Presumably one of the levels (number of posts) is named after him.

Adam.
Topic: Travel in Saudi Arabia | Author: africaone | Replies: 9 | Views: 325
radusho

Re: Travel in Saudi Arabia

by radusho » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:34 am

Last year there was an expedition to Saudi Arabia and they succesfully brought Hipparchia tewfiki and Lasiommata felix among others
Topic: A beetle from Borneo | Author: lamprima2 | Replies: 1 | Views: 18
lamprima2
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

A beetle from Borneo

by lamprima2 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:24 am

unnamed.png
unnamed.png (766.4 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Cassidinae

by Cassidinae » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:04 am

Yes, of course, catching insects it is a problem in SOME Muslim countries (typically: Egypt, Turkey, Indonesia, in recent years Malaysia). The reason is most often national pride or the opportunity to get some extra money. Certainly not because of nature conservation :) The only Muslim country (as far as I know) that doesn't mind because of nature conservation is probably Malaysia and perhaps Brunei.
Cassidinae

by Cassidinae » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:56 am

adamcotton wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:03 am
I don't understand this, did you actually mean 'NOT worthy of attention'?

Adam.
Sorry for my english. I meant something like: "they don't care about catching insects" (= they consider it to be a strange pastime at most).
Topic: Papilio oenomaus female | Author: livingplanet3 | Replies: 1 | Views: 38
livingplanet3

Papilio oenomaus female

by livingplanet3 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:29 am

Not long ago, I acquired a female specimen of Papilio oenomaus, which is found on Timor and its surrounds. Males are rather commonly encountered in the trade, but females appear to be only rarely offered -

http://swallowtails.net/P_oenomaus.htm
Topic: Agrias butterflies | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 71 | Views: 1977
livingplanet3

Re: Agrias butterflies

by livingplanet3 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:34 pm

Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm Now that one has always been ESPECIALLY striking with those blue bands in the forewings. It was also the first (I believe) captive bred hybrid produced for the hobbyist; perhaps four years ago.
True, it does seem that this particular hybrid only just appeared a few years ago; I can't recall having seen them prior to then. While the commercial production of Agrias and Prepona hybrids to supply collectors may be a relatively recent phenomenon, certainly, captive-bred hybrids have been around for a while now, with the following report from 2008 being one example -

http://www.troplep.org/TLR/18-1/Furtado-Hyb.pdf
Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm However, I don't own one because it has always fetched pricing in the $200 plus range for anything exceptional.

I don't religiously watch the Agrias classifieds as I am generally not in the market for these financially but, in time I hope to acquire at least four or five more for diversity.
The pricing on various captive-bred Agrias / Prepona hybrids has come down somewhat since they first entered the collector market, but yes - exceptional examples that have unusual colors / patterns do typically command rather high prices, especially large females. I've had to restrict myself to mostly specimens that are in the lower-to-medium range, but even these are still quite impressive. An advantage of these butterflies being produced in captivity of course, is that they have no flight wear.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

by kevinkk » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:32 pm

eurytides wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:23 pm Very well said Chuck.
I know everyone does have something, and I have liked the Agrias as well, but it's just interesting, and I find all that hybridization
a little overwhelming, and for hybrids, I've seen the dubernardi x graellsia crosses, and other crosses with isabellae, I can get behind that,
I couldn't get my isabellae even to pair , I tried 3 times and that's not cheap, let alone getting the timing right to get a hybrid.

Anyway, I am curious and maybe projecting my particular sense of humor in asking abut designations, for instance, I see Chuck is "meek"
what's with that? I think I recall seeing some Darwin, I can take a guess at that, this is the porchlight thread after all.
Do not worry, I'll chime in when I think my thoughts need some air. And I've learned how to post photos- a milestone in communication,
it certainly brings things to the upper level, be it specimens, or things like Cabintom's photo journalism.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Trehopr1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Now that one has always been ESPECIALLY striking with those blue bands in the forewings. It was also the first (I believe) captive bred hybrid produced for the hobbyist; perhaps four years ago.

However, I don't own one because it has always fetched pricing in the $200 plus range for anything exceptional.

I don't religiously watch the Agrias classifieds as I am generally not in the market for these financially but, in time I hope to acquire at least four or five more for diversity.
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:09 pm

Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 pm Very nice indeed !

I too only very recently purchased three captive bred hybrids. I have yet to spread them. I know I have at least one of those lachaumei/dexamenus males.
From the same dealer, I also got two male specimens of Agrias C. lugens X Prepona dexamenus. Here's an example of this hybrid -

https://bruceblue.smugmug.com/Folder-of ... -wPggDpT/A
Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 pm I'm going to give Olivier's vodka relaxation method a go on mine. If luck is with me I too will have some nice specimens to share here.
I plan to try this method soon as well. Many of my Agrias were purchased pre-spread, so at least I won't have to worry about personally mounting those. The vast majority of my collection however (both Lepidoptera and Coleoptera), is not yet spread, so I'm really hoping that the vodka technique will work well for me also, and perhaps I can get all of my specimens prepared sooner rather than later!
Topic: How to perfectly relax butterflies : the vodka method | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 20 | Views: 607
Paradesia

Re: How to perfectly relax butterflies : the vodka method

by Paradesia » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:58 pm

I have used vodka or gin with no apparent difference. Love this method because it inhibits mold and the drying time is faster due to a lower vapor point.
Chuck

by Chuck » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:55 pm

Do agrias floresce flouresce florece however you spell it, under UV? Do they reflect other spectrums when observed at an angle, as some Troides do?
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Trehopr1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 pm

Very nice indeed !

I too only very recently purchased three captive bred hybrids. I have yet to spread them. I know I have at least one of those lachaumei/dexamenus males.

I'm going to give Olivier's vodka relaxation method a go on mine. If luck is with me I too will have some nice specimens to share here.
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:29 pm

I don't have very many hybrid butterflies, but I recently obtained this nice pair of Agrias c. lugens X Agrias b. lachaumei, captive-bred (Satipo, Peru), which I chose from a sampling of around ten pairs -

Agrias c. lugens X Agrias b. lachaumei (hybrid) (M).jpg
Agrias c. lugens X Agrias b. lachaumei (hybrid) (M).jpg (281.98 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Agrias c. lugens X Agrias b. lachaumei (hybrid) (F).jpg
Agrias c. lugens X Agrias b. lachaumei (hybrid) (F).jpg (351.81 KiB) Viewed 56 times

I also have this Agrias b. lachaumei X Prepona dexamenus hybrid male, captive-bred (Satipo, Peru) -

Agrias b. lachaumei X Prepona dexamenus (hybrid)_1.jpg
Agrias b. lachaumei X Prepona dexamenus (hybrid)_1.jpg (206.53 KiB) Viewed 56 times
eurytides

by eurytides » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:23 pm

Very well said Chuck.
Topic: Coleopterists Society Meeting | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 1 | Views: 37
58chevy

Coleopterists Society Meeting

by 58chevy » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:56 pm

2023 The Coleopterists Society Annual Meeting, 9 Dec. 2022
Inbox

Mike Quinn via listserv.uh.edu
9:42 AM (1 hour ago)
to TX-ENTO

The event is open to all and registration is free, but you must register in advance to receive the Zoom webinar links

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Max Barclay <0000acb15f33f30d-dmarc-request@lists.psu.edu>
Date: Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 6:57 PM
Subject: You're Invited! 2023 The Coleopterists Society Annual General Meeting and Symposium Friday, 9 December 2022
To: <ENTOMO-L@lists.psu.edu>

From Entomo-L

This great event is available to non-members as well, and is also an opportunity for non-members to join this illustrious society!
Max

On behalf of The Coleopterists Society Executive Council,
we invite you to:

The 3rd Annual General Meeting and Symposium

Friday, 9 December 2022, from 1:00 PM
- 6:00 PM ET.

Virtual, over Zoom

Featuring winners of awards programs and introductions
to the new council members.

Keynote speaker:

Bruno de Medeiros

Field Museum in Chicago, USA.

You can take a look at the program on our website here:

https://www.coleopsoc.org/event/2022-annual-meeting/

The event is open to all and registration is free, but
you must register in advance
to receive the Zoom webinar links. Register here:

https://uk01.l.antigena.com/l/DiQ2zYdkm ... 0ut2YtRBL9

image.png

This is also a good time to remind everyone to pay
dues for 2023 to continue your
membership for another year. Dues support the
continued production of the Coleopterists Bulletin and our awards and outreach programs.

https://www.coleopsoc.org/become-a-member/
Chuck

by Chuck » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:05 pm

kevinkk wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 pm I haven't felt as though I have anything
to contribute lately.
Everyone has something to contribute. Every contribution adds to our understanding of entomology.

The more research I do, the more I realize how little we know.

Perhaps there are those who have a small collection of eastern US/ Canada Lycaenidae that is seemingly insignificant. Well, as of late, every specimen may be important, since the systematics recently was turned on its head. We just saw a discussion on Anea, and quite clearly a butterfly that's in our back yard may not be so easily pidgeonholed into the systematics as we understand it. I could go on.

Even if one considers their reference collection, and/or their methods, to be basic, there are new people coming here. They need the basics more than they do lessons on MtDNA. Personally, I'm interested in seeing photos of environments in which people conduct field work.

I don't care if it's a photo of one common specimen, or an analysis of variation in morphology, or a short field report. It's worth reading. I have no Agrias, but do appreciate the many photos posted lately; perhaps because I don't "do" Agrias I can actually appreciate them like a layperson for the color and variation. Wolf's field photos from Norway are amazing, it's like a travel journal for people who don't care to visit cities or the resorts in Bali.

Every post, every photo, every observation has value. If it doesn't today, it will tomorrow.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:49 am

I don't know the exact number of posts for each 'level', but most designations are dependent on the number of posts a member has made to the forum.

I am sure Olivier can provide a list.

Adam.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

It's just a word-

by kevinkk » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 pm

I have been reading posts as usual, things lately are over my experience and or field of interest, that is I haven't felt as though I have anything
to contribute lately.
However- I see it's donation time again, I can participate in that. "premium member".. that must be an appreciation of my
support, my status as a "premium" individual is certainly up for conjecture. I've noticed a number of different designations,
and I'm curious.
Perhaps we could have a guide explaining the differences.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm

Thanks a lot, Manfred.