Recent posts
Retinise

Breeding Onthophagus gazella, and Scarabaeus sacer dung beetles!

by Retinise » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi! im working on a project for work and was wondering if anyone had any tips or guides/methods on how to successfully breed dung beetles(Onthophagus gazella, and Scarabaeus sacer). Specifically of the burrowing variety. Thanks!! Its been really hard to find any info online, so any help is greatly appreciated :) Specific temp, tank size, substrate, and specific ammounts of what would help a lot if possible too.
Topic: Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei | Author: laurie2 | Replies: 5 | Views: 114
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei

by adamcotton » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:29 am

Recent DNA analysis of genus Papilio, on which I am a co-author and has recently been submitted for publication, shows that Papilio bairdii is a separate species to the Palaearctic P. machaon. I wasn't going to mention details until after publication, and will inform Insectnet readers about other interesting changes in the genus when the paper is eventually published. I decided in this instance that there is no harm in confirming the status of Papilio bairdii since it has been treated as a separate species before.

Adam.
Topic: Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei | Author: laurie2 | Replies: 5 | Views: 114
laurie2

by laurie2 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:08 am

Thanks Adam!
Topic: Consul panariste | Author: livingplanet3 | Replies: 17 | Views: 423
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Consul panariste

by kevinkk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:40 am

A lot of shiny butterflies that don't need image manipulation. I agree the subject specimen looks fake. That is it is a fake photo of a real insect,
It's just like the way people are manipulated in advertising in one respect, A little vasaline on the lens and mood lighting, and you're a model.
Fake is fake and if it's fake, there's no other way to look at it, it's an impossibility and just like repro art has little value other than eye candy,
I think the natural world does well enough without being manipulated. I recall there were some hi-res images posted some time back that were
some kind of layering , if I recall that correctly, those images are/were in a different class deserving some merit.
Although- I suppose your model doesn't always cooperate, I tried a few times this last season to get some of those great shots, and just before
closing in, the butterfly decided to fly off, hey! I just want a picture. Next time you'll come home in a jar and then we'll see.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 pm

Note the black circle in the red anal 'eye' is connected to the margin, not centred in the red eye.

Adam.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:42 pm

All of these are Papilio bairdii:
bairdii sadj.jpg
bairdii sadj.jpg (325.61 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Adam.
laurie2

Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei

by laurie2 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:56 pm

Is there a form of bairdii that is yellow, referred to as brucei or do we have two different beasts?
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

by livingplanet3 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:56 pm

daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:59 pm It's a male Asterope sapphira.. then known as Callithea sapphira. From Brazil. Here are a pair from my collection...
That's a really stunning species. Probably the closest thing that I have to it in my collection, is Asterope leprieuri -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterope_ ... 13885).jpg

https://cahurel-entomologie.com/gs/inde ... d=asterope
Topic: Agrias butterflies | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 73 | Views: 2216
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Agrias butterflies

by livingplanet3 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:38 pm

wollastoni wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:18 pm
Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 pm I'm going to give Olivier's vodka relaxation method a go on mine
Be sure to practice on small Nymphalidae or Pieridae before trying on Agrias.
Absolutely - I will start with some common, low-value specimens before working with any important ones.
Topic: How to perfectly relax butterflies : the vodka method | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 25 | Views: 852
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to perfectly relax butterflies : the vodka method

by wollastoni » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:44 pm

My vodka brand is "Eristoff", 37,5% alcohol.

But my friend is using other vodka brands and I have never checked the alcohol % on his vodka, I guess all vodka would work.
Topic: Zethera hestiodes | Author: daveuk | Replies: 3 | Views: 103
daveuk

Re: Zethera hestiodes

by daveuk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:37 pm

Trehopr1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:10 pm Wow, never knew of the existence of this extraordinary species !

Have never seen it pictured anywhere. Never seen it in any private collections over here (that I've seen).

A truly unique and magnificent species ! 👏🎉
Thank you so much Dave for sharing with us. ☺️
Thanks Trehopr. It is a lovely species. I see males offered occasionally but this was the only female I have seen offered to date. Purchased about 15 year ago.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Zethera hestiodes

by Trehopr1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:10 pm

Wow, never knew of the existence of this extraordinary species !

Have never seen it pictured anywhere. Never seen it in any private collections over here (that I've seen).

A truly unique and magnificent species ! 👏🎉
Thank you so much Dave for sharing with us. ☺️
Topic: How to perfectly relax butterflies : the vodka method | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 25 | Views: 852
Chuck

by Chuck » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:30 pm

wollastoni wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:48 pm
Paradesia wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:58 pm I have used vodka or gin with no apparent difference. Love this method because it inhibits mold and the drying time is faster due to a lower vapor point.
I am glad you like the vodka method ! A game-changer !

chuck < you shoud try with vodka as explained, as your method doesn't seem to work : wings must not be wet at all.
With the vodka method, specimen look like a fresh specimen (they are not soaked, they have no humidity drops), with easy-to-move wings.

Going back, I had misread the original Vodka method as ALSO having water. It does not.

It will be a couple weeks, but then I'll try to Vodka method as written. What brand of Vodka? If I'm going to try it, I want to do it exactly; I have to buy Vodka anyway since I don't have any.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Paradesia wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:58 pm I have used vodka or gin with no apparent difference. Love this method because it inhibits mold and the drying time is faster due to a lower vapor point.
I am glad you like the vodka method ! A game-changer !

chuck < you shoud try with vodka as explained, as your method doesn't seem to work : wings must not be wet at all.
With the vodka method, specimen look like a fresh specimen (they are not soaked, they have no humidity drops), with easy-to-move wings.
Borearctia

by Borearctia » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:41 am

The photo of OP is signed by Luis M. Constantino.
I assume that this is Luis Miguel Constantino, a well-known researcher and entomologist from Colombia.
He has posted quite a few pictures on Flickr with similar photographic skill.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140413390@N06/
Since Flickr is not a scientific website, manipulation of the images posted there is legitimate in my view.
daveuk

Zethera hestiodes

by daveuk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:51 am

Pair of a large species of Satyrid from Mindanao, Philippines which mimic Idea leuconoe
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-232504_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-232504_Instagram.jpg (368.05 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Paul K

by Paul K » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 am

I personally think it is pinned specimen placed on the leaf.
There are only few species that rest with almost 90° angle and C.panariste is none of them as it can be looked on many other photos on internet.
daveuk

by daveuk » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:59 pm

livingplanet3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 pm What is the blue and black butterfly to the right of Zerene cesonia? A species of Eunica, perhaps?
It's a male Asterope sapphira.. then known as Callithea sapphira. From Brazil. Here are a pair from my collection.

The painting does resemble a Eunica in colouration more though.Like the male Eunica alcmena from Peru in the second picture
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-225320_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-225320_Instagram.jpg (379.2 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Screenshot_20221204-232631_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-232631_Instagram.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 309 times
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:05 pm

The panariste photo that started this discussion bothers me in another way which I don't think has been mentioned... it looks to me as if the left fw apex is casting a distinct shadow on the leaf, but the left tail isn't. The tail would have to be lying flat on the leaf to make this happen, and I don't think the butterfly is likely to adopt such a posture. And I agree that the colors have been fiddled with!

jh
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:57 pm

Chuck wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 pm
It's my experience that no butterflies of any size are ready to set in 24 hours; usually 2-4 days. If I get the same results, I'll go buy a bottle of Vodka and try again.
Chuck,

Guess you don't relax many blues and hairstreaks! Mine are usually ready to spread after relaxing overnight in an old-fashioned relaxer, with water-damp paper towels and some antifungal. But bigger stuff, even larger skippers, are a whole other ball of wax. I usually relax them 12-24 hrs, inject water, and return to relaxer for another day. Generally ready to go then. (I'm never in enough of a hurry to bother using hot water).

Interesting experiment you did. I really don't understand what the alcohol brings to the party, unless it lowers the surface tension of the water phase and wets the bug (inside and/or outside) faster as a result. I can't imagine any reason why ethanol or isopropanol would behave differently from each other. Both alcohols are usually sold as a water solution (Isopropanol is usually 70/30 alcohol/water, and "pure" ethanol is generally 95/5; vodka of course has more water than this), so any of these would have plenty of water to moisten a butterfly.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that pure, 100% ethanol or isopropanol alone would be very poor at softening butterfly tissues, but being retired from the lab I can't do the experiment. Anhydrous alcohols are quite hygroscopic and pull in atmospheric water quickly. Ethanol levels off at the 95/5 point, a "stable azeotrope" in chemist lingo. I don't think really anhydrous alcohols could be bought, save from a lab supply company, and they won't sell to individuals.

Cheers,
jh