Recent posts
Topic: Where to buy: Bioquip folding net "National Park Special" | Author: Chuck | Replies: 16 | Views: 10621
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Where to buy: Bioquip folding net "National Park Special"

by Chuck » Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 pm

COMPARISON: BQNPS and Stout/Raising Butterflies collapsible nets

SHORT VERSION:
1. The connecting handle sections are shorter on the Stout net (good)
2. The BQNPS net connection will fit the Stout handle sections, but not vice versa
3. Net bags are the same dimensions, but new nets are stiff!

LONG VERSION:

I'd like to say I learned this by trial and error, but really it was all error.

Due to the length of the BQNPS handle sections, if I was travelling I had to take an oversized bag that would only fit some airline overhead bins. This was a pain.

So I got smart, and cut down one of the BQNPS sections by about 3" so it would fit in a small carry-on.

In doing so I was able to fit the ring and one handle extension in a small carry on. Then, in the field, I frustratingly discovered that one section provides insufficient power and speed.

So I cut down a second BQNPS section, and drilled the connecting hole.

That's when I discovered that the Stout/ Raising Butterflies handle is comprised of shorter extension sections. Arrrrgghhh! These make it SO much easier to travel.

So today I grabbed "some stuff" and headed out to the field. When I got there, with the Stout ring and first extension, I discovered that it does not latch into the BQNPS handle extensions. "Fortunately" I only took a shot at one butterfly, and the assembly did not come apart.

Then I tried the various combinations, and determined that the BQNPS and Stout net-end and handle extensions are not compatible. So keep them separate; that said, it would be easy enough to modify with a file or dremel.

SUMMARY: Stout/ Raising Butterflies net is better for travel than the old BQNPS.
Topic: "Reptile Heaven" and "WildinsectUSA" = SCAM | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 4 | Views: 4767
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Reptile Heaven" and "WildinsectUSA" = SCAM

by wollastoni » Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm

Be careful "Reptile Heaven" now try to list some items in the marketplace. We have deleted their account but they may come back...
Topic: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II | Author: Chuck | Replies: 104 | Views: 567588
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II

by Chuck » Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm

The first Tiger spotted in the Finger Lakes region of NY was 18 may 2024. Weather was 22C and sunny. The previous two weeks had been cool, rainy, and garbage. Actually, the previous seven months had been garbage.

A lucky catch this morning- in the back yard-of "Spring Form". Clearly not canadensis, but looks more like MST than glaucus. The most recent capture of "spring form" was 2020- I've seen them, just can't get a net on them!

Now, Spring Form is very interesting. Way back in 1985 Hagen and Lederhouse proved that the spring flight and late flight were both univoltine. They were at the time though considered Papilio glaucus, as was what would later be split off as canadensis.

But now we know that the late flight (= MST) is a recombinant hybrid (and I'm waiting patiently for peer review of the description.) And we know canadensis is a different species. So what is "Spring Form"? Is it Papilio glaucus? Are there two univoltine flights of MST? Or is it yet another recombinant hybrid like MST and appalachiensis? If it is a recombinant, why is it univoltine when there's plenty of time for a second generation?
Topic: Eurytides marcellus | Author: Chuck | Replies: 10 | Views: 990
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Eurytides marcellus

by Chuck » Wed May 22, 2024 11:55 am

A pair of marcellus from northern KY, 2nd week of May.

wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Insectorama Seraing Fair 2024 - Belgium - 6 October 2024

by wollastoni » Wed May 22, 2024 9:53 am

The interesting Insectorama fair in Seraing (Belgium) will take place on the 6th October 2024 (one week anticipation versus what was at first announced).

See our list of insect fairs in 2024 here : https://insectnet.com/blog/insect-colle ... nsect-fair
Topic: Agrias butterflies | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 156 | Views: 15433
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Agrias butterflies

by wollastoni » Wed May 22, 2024 9:50 am

Chuck wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:18 pm
wollastoni wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:33 pm
Agrias are involved in very complex mimicry rings triggering different forms in each zone of Amazonia. Studying the distribution of each forms is very interesting. Each Rio of Amazonia seems to trigger different forms, these are the local forms. Then you have some individual forms (various forms inside the same population). Then you have "hybridization" between forms/subpecies at contact zones. Mix all that, and you have the craziness of Agrias (sub)genus ! That's why they are so interesting to study/collect.
A situation we are finding is far more common that ever thought- and not just in butterflies. Regional speciation in progress, recombinant hybrids, etc. In so many taxa, we can no longer put a specimen into a nice little "species box" anymore.
Indeed I guess it happens on several species group everywhere... and especially in Amazonia where Rios seems to build isolated populations. But on most species, you won't see it at work (except in DNA). In Agrias, it is visible, and in an impressive way.
vabrou

A few clearwing moths from my yard, St Tammany Parish, Louisiana, USA.

by vabrou » Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

A few clearwing moths from my yard, St Tammany Parish, Louisiana, USA. Now to relax them and pin and spread, and label them. There were a lot more, but these will do for now. These were captured using lures that have been sitting in my traps for over a year. Imagine if I would have used new fresh lures.
Attachments
2024 May 21  IMGP0916 adj 70 35$.JPG
2024 May 21 IMGP0916 adj 70 35$.JPG (768.13 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Annarobertson1947

by Annarobertson1947 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:20 pm

Agreed,i do same when selling, this time of year i sell off excess on eBay
Topic: Trichiotinus lunulatus | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 5 | Views: 439
58chevy

Re: Trichiotinus lunulatus

by 58chevy » Tue May 21, 2024 9:47 pm

Were all those Trichiotinus & Trigonopelastes collected in light traps?
Topic: Strategus mormon | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 6 | Views: 181
58chevy

Re: Strategus mormon

by 58chevy » Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 pm

Vernon, thanks for the pdf. Good info. Impressive horns on the antaeus.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 12:26 pm

Annarobertson1947 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am I understand this but one would have to admit that a lot of dealers do stretch things in asking price to point of absurdity
There is of course the point of asking as much as possible to maximize profit. There's a good chance somebody will come along and pay it. Remember, there are those for whom paying $300 too much is nothing, because it's only $300.

On the other hand, high $$ value attracts those who see themselves as top rarities collectors. I learned this many years ago at the LA Bug Show- I had a rare beetle that didn't sell on day 1. But instead of reducing the price on Day 2, I tripled the price. It sold quickly...then others were running to ask if I had more.

Finally, the high-$$ specimens may be part of the dealer's collection and they don't need to sell it, maybe don't want to sell it. I do this. I may price a $4000 item at $6000; you want to pay $6000 then you can have it, but otherwise I'll keep it, thank you.

It's easy for a dealer to initially price high, and reduce the price if it doesn't sell. That is what's typically and universally done.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 12:18 pm

wollastoni wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:33 pm
Agrias are involved in very complex mimicry rings triggering different forms in each zone of Amazonia. Studying the distribution of each forms is very interesting. Each Rio of Amazonia seems to trigger different forms, these are the local forms. Then you have some individual forms (various forms inside the same population). Then you have "hybridization" between forms/subpecies at contact zones. Mix all that, and you have the craziness of Agrias (sub)genus ! That's why they are so interesting to study/collect.
A situation we are finding is far more common that ever thought- and not just in butterflies. Regional speciation in progress, recombinant hybrids, etc. In so many taxa, we can no longer put a specimen into a nice little "species box" anymore.
Topic: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024 | Author: Chuck | Replies: 20 | Views: 668
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024

by Chuck » Tue May 21, 2024 12:09 pm

adamcotton wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 am Maybe they mated, laid eggs and now there are larvae 'everywhere'? It will be interesting to see what happens later in the year.

Adam.
A reasonable hypothesis, which had not occurred to me. If this is the case, the young Urtica foodplants would be stripped to nothing; though, they readily regrow. Yes, I suppose we may well be revisiting this in a month or so!
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Tue May 21, 2024 9:20 am

It is all about offer and demand, Anna.
If sellers don't sell their "rare forms", the price will decrease.

Prices are going down on Agrias for various reasons :
- several species are now bred. Prices of phalcidon excelsior forms have collapsed for example. From $1,000 to $100 in few years.
- more and more "old collections" are for sale in Europe (many collectors are very old / dead and their collection are for sale), reinjecting a lot of Agrias specimens on the market.
Topic: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024 | Author: Chuck | Replies: 20 | Views: 668
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 am

Maybe they mated, laid eggs and now there are larvae 'everywhere'? It will be interesting to see what happens later in the year.

Adam.
Annarobertson1947

by Annarobertson1947 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am

I understand this but one would have to admit that a lot of dealers do stretch things in asking price to point of absurdity
Paul K

by Paul K » Mon May 20, 2024 10:55 pm

I saw few 150km north of Toronto but nothing like few weeks ago on the shores of Lake Ontario
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Mon May 20, 2024 2:55 pm

Now that I think of it, I've not seen any in a while. Watch, I'll spot one later today. But, clearly they are not blasting around by the hundreds anymore.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Mon May 20, 2024 1:33 pm

Don't see them like that.

Especially on some species like phalcidon (the king of Agrias species to my mind).
Topic: Bug Fair May 18 and 19 Los Angeles Natural History Museum | Author: jellybean | Replies: 5 | Views: 225
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Bug Fair May 18 and 19 Los Angeles Natural History Museum

by Chuck » Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 pm

We've discussed this here in the past, same story.

LA is a great show, specimens you won't find commercially (some people don't feel like shipping), plus you get to meet some great collectors.

I tried on the east coast, there's little interest and costs are high (particularly insurance). The only way this could start up is as suggested, get some other collectors to start a niche at a gem or reptile show.

European shows are more successful because:
1. Momentum- once a show is running it's "easy" to keep going; starting a show is tough.
2. Not too far/ expensive- All of Europe can fit into US northeast; NY to California is a full day of air travel each way
3. US has plenty of forests and wild areas close to just about anywhere, less of a need to buy specimens
4. Culture- Europeans are more into exotic stuff like aquarium fishes, antiquities, etc.
5. USA has more alternative interest opportunities...Europe has far fewer motorcyles, snowmobiles, camping, etc. There more Porsches in USA and even more ski resorts in USA than in Europe.