Recent posts
Topic: Spring Captures | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 3 | Views: 18
eurytides

Re: Spring Captures

by eurytides » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:48 pm

Chuck, where did you capture this fabulous pair of Nihilis absentus?
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Spring Captures

by Chuck » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:03 pm

very nice, and how fortunate.

Here's a photo of my spring 2024 captures:

Impressed?
58chevy

Spring Captures

by 58chevy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:44 pm

A few butterflies from last month
Left: Anthocharis midea, Abaeis nicippe, Callophrys niphon
Right: A. midea, Polygonia interrogationis (winter form)
Note the professional-quality spreading boards (Hey, they work.)
Attachments
Feb 2024 catch small.jpg
Feb 2024 catch small.jpg (597.1 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Topic: Charaxes lydiae pair | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 2 | Views: 86
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Charaxes lydiae pair

by Trehopr1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:57 pm

Superb pair !
Topic: NY Man charged with smuggling birdwings | Author: Kona | Replies: 36 | Views: 8430
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: NY Man charged with smuggling birdwings

by Chuck » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:36 pm

kevinkk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm This topic has brought a question to my mind. Do people really make a living selling insects? I've tried it years ago, when the internet was young.
It seems like a difficult market. Perhaps it's the suppliers, but in any event, how many buyers are out there that continue to purchase material?
I find it difficult to believe many, if any persons actually make a living or get rich.
One still can make money. In the pre-internet days several companies had a number of employees, all drawing salaries. These days it's a lot tougher because of (1) foreign country controls (2) the onerous inspection of legal importers, and (3) the ability to buy direct, albeit illegally.

(1) has put a number of countries off limits, limiting supply.
(2) has made it difficult to legally operate a business; it's counter-intuitive, but USFWS hassles the legally registered entities the most; that's why I (and I believe Bill Garthe) quit.
(3) This is the real killer. The client base can buy direct, ilegally.

I should add a fourth, the "Amazon mentality"- buyer doesn't like it because today is Tuesday, they expect a full refund. The cost of business increases.

As you can see though, InsectNet has suppliers who move a lot of product. I can't say if any given seller is just a lucrative hobby, or supporting five people.

The most successful concentrate on the utmost rarities, have impeccable overseas contacts, know the laws inside and out, have cash, and have a client list not a website. Websites are for pedestrian stuff and volume generic stuff. No great collectibles ever get advertised, a phone call is made and it's sold. The stuff on websites is left-overs. I suppose if I wanted to get back into it I could, and make some good money, but it's a real hassle these days.
Topic: NY Man charged with smuggling birdwings | Author: Kona | Replies: 36 | Views: 8430
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm

This topic has brought a question to my mind. Do people really make a living selling insects? I've tried it years ago, when the internet was young.
It seems like a difficult market. Perhaps it's the suppliers, but in any event, how many buyers are out there that continue to purchase material?
I find it difficult to believe many, if any persons actually make a living or get rich.
Someone may have thousands in inventory, but that is different than actual sales.
I have bought maybe 1000 in deadstock in the last 12 years.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:40 pm

jellybean wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:19 am
kevinkk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:23 pm Agreed Chuck, clearly Charles knew what he was doing, continuing to receive material, he was still operating his business up until not long ago.
He was gruffy and perhaps conceited, tempting fate with the feds is not my idea of sound strategy.
Looks like Charles is still in business. There is a Dr. Charles Limmer, owner of Limmerentomological, selling wildlife on ETSY. He presently has 101 listings, mostly insects. Many listing have multiple specimens available. Total of approximately over 600 specimens at a total value of over $10,000.

It may be still going with old stock, or he may not have had the time or will to take it down. I'd ask before ordering anything.
Topic: Charaxes lydiae pair | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 2 | Views: 86
Annarobertson1947

Charaxes lydiae pair

by Annarobertson1947 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:27 am

Just aquired this beautiful pair
Attachments
20240301_175911.jpg
20240301_175911.jpg (172.74 KiB) Viewed 86 times
20240301_175854.jpg
20240301_175854.jpg (199.19 KiB) Viewed 86 times
jellybean

by jellybean » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:19 am

kevinkk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:23 pm Agreed Chuck, clearly Charles knew what he was doing, continuing to receive material, he was still operating his business up until not long ago.
He was gruffy and perhaps conceited, tempting fate with the feds is not my idea of sound strategy.
Looks like Charles is still in business. There is a Dr. Charles Limmer, owner of Limmerentomological, selling wildlife on ETSY. He presently has 101 listings, mostly insects. Many listing have multiple specimens available. Total of approximately over 600 specimens at a total value of over $10,000.
By the way, I never saw him claim to have the title of "Dr." until the last year or two. Maybe he thought he could get the exception to clearance of wildlife imported by accredited scientists per 50 CFR Part 14.55.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Jshuey » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:51 pm

adamcotton wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:21 pm Are they allowed to seize his whole collection, or only those specimens which were illegally imported?

Adam.
So, back in the days when those guys were poaching from US national parks and stuff, there was another less known case involving John Kemner and his commercial collecting in Mexico. In that case, USFWS seized all the Mexican bugs out of a collection I was aware of, but left the US material alone. In this case, the "seized" material was moved to Ohio State, wrapped in evidence tape like they use at crime scenes, and just left sitting for a few years. It was in an unheated storage area, dermesitids got into it, and everything was destroyed. Which was a shame - it had a lot of hesperiidae from higher altitudes in there - bugs that are pretty uncommon in collections in the US.

To avoid prosecution, Kemner moved permanently to Mexico.

john
Topic: Acanthoscurria Ferina | Author: Fibeebugs | Replies: 5 | Views: 121
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Acanthoscurria Ferina

by adamcotton » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 pm

No problem about asking for dead specimens on Insectnet.

Thanks for the clarification.

Adam.
Fibeebugs

by Fibeebugs » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:33 pm

Gosh don’t think I explained myself very well I wanted dead specimens for art purposes . I thought that was an ok thing to say on here . Sorry if it’s not . I’ve bought dead Acanthoscurria ferina before with no issues and they seem quite widely sold in small quantities. And thank you so much for taking the time to reply . Sorry for the confusion
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:23 pm

Agreed Chuck, clearly Charles knew what he was doing, continuing to receive material, he was still operating his business up until not long ago.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:21 pm

kevinkk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:13 am That's unfortunate for Dr. Limmer. I am sorry for him. Yes, he circumvented the rules. Nevertheless, I have sympathy, not everyone will, like I told
my defense attorney one time- "someone's got to do it" . If there is a market, there will be suppliers, I have limmerleps butterflies-
I feel for him in that he lost it, he wasn't thinking straight. That was obvious by the way he treated some of his customers, and his arrogant posts here; and of course by the simple fact that USFWS pulled his license, but he continued despite it being obvious they were out to get him. Insanity or whatever, the poor guy just wasn't wired right.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:13 am

That's unfortunate for Dr. Limmer. I am sorry for him. Yes, he circumvented the rules. Nevertheless, I have sympathy, not everyone will, like I told
my defense attorney one time- "someone's got to do it" . If there is a market, there will be suppliers, I have limmerleps butterflies-
stragus1

by stragus1 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:15 pm

Finally! a small amount of "justice" for the collectors Limmer burned over the years past... gecko 88
stragus1

by stragus1 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:13 pm

Finally! a small amount of "justice" for the collectors Limmer burned over the years past...
Topic: Net bag color? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 19 | Views: 3328
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Net bag color?

by Chuck » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:17 pm

Great, all the new bags I bought are black.

The "good" news is that it didn't matter on my last trip, since 10 days in FL I never had cause to take the net out.
Jshuey wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:18 pm By the way, I was just in the field where I found out that my open-weave white bag was in pretty bad shape. I used it for w few days, and then switched to a spare I brought along - BioQuip's black, very fine mesh, blunt ended net - pretty much identical to the bag in the video above. It sucked. The fine mesh meant that I missed several bugs that I tried to sweep up off the leaf litter - the fine mesh was like using a fan that pushed them away from the net mouth. The black net made it hard for me to see the little brown bugs inside - don't believe what he says about it being easier to see small bugs inside the net. And the blunt end made it really hard to confine things enough to get them into the killing jar - just too much room for them to hide in. At the end of the trip, I threw the net bag away rather than waste the jet fuel to bring it back home with me.

The moral of the story is simple. Check the condition of the net bag that is on the net before you hit the field. And remember that you hate black nets when you grab the back-up bag for a trip. In other words, I need to not be stupid.

John
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:02 pm

When the federal government agencies plan to search a home for evidence to arrest someone they have to get a warrant from a judge (this is about as hard as buying a hotdog at a hotdog vendor.) In the warrant application they have to cite where they want search and what they're searching for (and will seize). The latter almost always includes all communications devices (including computers and phones).

In a case like this, I'd think USFWS would seize the entire collection, because who has the expertise to even recognize what they're looking for? Inexplicably (to me) this is not always the case, and they do seize only part of a collection. I do not know if USFWS seized all of Limmer's collection (and commercial material) or just part of it.

The article says Limmer has to "hand over" his collection of 1,000 specimens. The article is written by a journalist for AP, not the most reliable source, so I'd not read too much into "hand over" (i.e., not assume it meant he still had specimens.)

In any event, Limmer plead guilty meaning there was a pre-trial negotiation between USFWS and Limmer and he agreed to surrender custody of whatever-it-really-is. This is different than if he'd gone to trial, after which win or lose, USFWS would have to return anything not proven to be contraband. But in a negotiation, the details of which I do not know, USFWS could have negotiated to keep his entire collection.

I've not seen the case published yet, so the details of what all this means I cannot say. I would suggest not provoking federal agencies who you know are watching you.

I've already suggested to an institution that they grab the collection, but was advised that these almost always go to Smithsonian. So if you're poking USFWS and don't like Smithsonian to be the recipient of your collection, either quit annoying USFWS or give your stuff to a different institution before they get you (add this because one collections manager told me that more collector's wills cite who NOT to give the collection to than cite a preferred depository!)
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Trehopr1 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:02 pm

I have had a side interest/fancy for tarantulas for quite some
years. I have even posted some of my dead, spread (articulated)
specimens here in the past for general interest/curiosity. Your inquiry
(from my view) begs more questions than ansewers....

Why would any "artist" need THESE specific species in their work ?
One could (for example) easily find/purchase the common and
RATHER benign species known as the Chilean Rose-Hair (Grammostola
rosea) for little expense and upkeep.

The Theraphosids which you speak of are in a whole nother league
(or level) of expertice and hardly something a typical artist of any
kind would dabble with.

The Rusty Bird-eating tarantula (Acanthoscurria ferina) is no longer
a valid species as it was synonymized with A. theraphosoides. Of your
2 species mentioned it is the more widespread (geographically) of the
two --- being found in Brazil, Bolivia, and Peru. When offered, they
fetch pricetags at a minimum of $90.00 USD. Their legspan is typically
about 4 inches (so they are not considered true "giants") and they are
largely "field collected". However, their reddish coloration and golden
joints make them attractive to true hobbyists. But, this terrestrial
species requires high humidity and is known to be fast, and VERY
aggressive in disposition. Thus, it is only suitable for ADVANCED keepers !

The Brazilian Orange-banded tarantula (Acanthoscurria juruenicola) is
yet another EVEN more elaborate species. This one is ENDEMIC to Brazil
and is quite "localized" in that it has only been found in 4 states there:
Mato Grosso, Para', Roraima, and Rhondonia. It is quite larger at around
7 inches legspan, MORE colorful, VERY aggressive in personality -- thus, not
often kept as a pet. Like the other species is not easy to maintain
because of high-humidity requirements and assorted care. Specimens
would cost closer to $150.00 USD if even located.

Brazil, has for many years running prohibited the capture, sale, or trade
in any of its endemic fauna. They are a "no-go" zone for such activity. Of
coarse, the black market exists and things from there are offered here and
there but, all are illegal to have/own.

So, it makes no sense to me why an "artist" choses to dabble in high-priced,
technically illegal species (if from Brazil), which happen to be attractive in
coloration yet, are VERY aggressive in nature AND are difficult to maintain
as "pets"/curiosities.

I think considerable more clarity is needed here.....