Arthur Evans - New Beetle Book

Give us your opinion about an entomological book or documentary and inform us about new publications.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Arthur Evans - New Beetle Book

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hello Beetle Lovers,

I recently received my new 2023 copy of Arthur V. Evans latest beetle book,"The Lives of Beetles - A Natural History of Coleoptera"; hardcover, 288 pgs., 7.75" x 10" x 1". Evans is a well known beetle expert & many will be familiar with his previous books, "An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles"(2000 - coauthored with Charles Bellamy), his two great companion volumes, "The Beetles of Eastern N. Am." (2014) & "The Beetles of Western N. Am." (2021).

This new book is a general introduction to beetles that will appeal to both beginner & veteran collectors/beetle enthusiasts alike. It has the following chapters; 1.) Introduction, 2.) Structure & Function, 3.) Evolution, Diversity & Distribution, 4.) Communication, Reproduction & Development, 5.) Feeding Habits, 6.) Beetles in Medicine, Science & Technology, 7.) Study & Conservation. This new volume is chock full of beautiful, crisp, closeup photos of common & rare spp. & of predominately live beetles (with a few nicely set specimens also). Full page photos of interesting & rare beetles such as Blind Cave Beetles, the Venomous Longhorn with stinging antennae (discussed in detail in a previous thread here on Insectnet), Trilobite beetles, Beaver Parasite beetles, Spanish Fly, etc., etc. are included. My only beef with this book is the tiny font used... put on your bifocals veteran collectors!

This newly released book is available on Amazon.ca ($44.00 CAD in Canada with free shipping) & on the U.S. Amazon.com site & on Ebay (the U.S. Amazon site & Ebay all have additional shipping charges making it more expensive).

John K. :geek: