Unusual Diurnal Moth Behavior?

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Unusual Diurnal Moth Behavior?

Post by boghaunter1 »

I have never observed this kind of mud puddling, by hummingbird moth spp., up here in cooler, temperate, central Sask., Canada. Is this a common sight in warmer climates where temperatures can really soar? Amazing how many of them dive briefly right into the water... just to cool off? I see only one actually sucking water/salts at the puddles edge...

John K.
Last edited by boghaunter1 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Unusual Diurnal Moth Behavior?

Post by Paul K »

I observed Sataspes species diving into the stream in the mountains of northern Thailand.
They fly fast few times diving into water and then rest on near by vegetation.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I've never seen behavior in eastern USA. When the moths are flying there is plenty of flowering plants, and it usually doesn't get very hot.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

Sataspes tagalica

I only have seen this species in northern Thailand twice although it is not easy one to spot.
I collected two specimens but one get quickly ruined in the net. This has to be quickly transfer to a killing jar in order to have a good specimen.
97D3A42B-C635-4269-B91D-6BCFD2A9CF5A.jpeg
97D3A42B-C635-4269-B91D-6BCFD2A9CF5A.jpeg (449.82 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

I once was traveling between Bunia & Kisangani and we got stuck in a long line of trucks trying to get through a particularly bad mud-hole. There were pond sized puddles of stagnant water all along that section of the road. Anyways, we were stopped and standing around waiting as the sun was beginning to set, when I began to notice Sphinx moths buzzing all over the place. There were must have been several hundred of them, and they'd just skim over the surface of the puddles, drinking (I presume) as they sped past, leaving little wakes behind them.

I snagged one
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Cabintom wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:06 pm I once was traveling between Bunia & Kisangani
What a marvel to travel there! I have old photos of Stanleyville, fabulous colonial buildings, people lounging around swimming pools. Seems to have changed a bit, though I do see at least one hotel does have a pool.