LIVESTOCK IMPORTATION

Off-topic discussions. Be nice. No politics/religions/insults (as on the rest of the forum).
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: LIVESTOCK IMPORTATION

Post by kevinkk »

Importation in the EU may be generous, but I read Actias.de just as well, and it's not a free for all when it comes to natives- we may not
be able to import exotics here in the USA, but I don't need to worry about what I bring back from the field.

Changing laws takes work. I changed two laws in my city and it took a lot of work. It takes missed dinners, I had to sit through boring meetings,
it took constant and intelligent argument to get through to our elected leaders. Looks like maybe I might already know what's in store
for my entomological pursuits. I'm not saying don't try-
bugmanbp
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bugmanbp »

Hello,

I know this is few months old post, I just wanted to share my experience. As a private hobbyist, I was able to get USDA permit to receive exotic butterflies and moths, which I do have my import and interstate permits. I only stick with pupae, since eggs will hatch quickly. If you are still interested of receiving exotic butterflies and moths I recommend applying for an PPQ-526 application with USDA, choose interstate movement. There is a company called LPS Imports and he sells them to butterflies houses and zoos and he can sell to any one that has a valid permit. This is what I did, it took me little over a year to get the permit. They will come out and inspect your room, the room has to be sealed and few other guidelines they want you to do before they approve the permit. Once you get your permit, send a copy of the permit to LPS imports and ask what is available for that week.

I hope this helps.
Brian
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Most of us already are aware of the permit system. Some of us just don't the feds crawling around their houses.
bugmanbp
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bugmanbp »

I understand, just wanted to share my experience. The person that inspect my room, he just ask me few questions and take pictures of the room and then he send the report back for further the application and what is needed for the room.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Good luck with it, I've known someone who got the permit, went through the work, and had nothing but problems with the livestock.
Perhaps the individual needed to put more work into the environment, or better sources.
bugmanbp
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bugmanbp »

Oh wow, hate to hear that not sure what type of problems that the individual was having. I have my permit for few years now and for the most part I don't have too many issues of them emerging. I had over 300 pupae over the past few years, I think I may have roughly 98% emergence success with the rest deformed wings or no emergence. I tried to keep the emergence cage around 75F and I try to spray them everyday to keep up the humidity. Some takes little longer to emerge like the Argema mimosae and the Attacus atlas. The biggest problem that I do have is how long the butterflies live, I have been trying to keep the temp and humidity up in their environment and I have been trying to make sure they drink the nectar, sugar water or fruit and that seem to help them to live little longer.