What is this biting me??

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
zaarin_2003
Reactions:
Great Britain

What is this biting me??

Post by zaarin_2003 »

We have a pet dog and cat, which both receive advocate anti-flea treatment, although I'm not convinced how much of it gets through their fur to the skin.

We spotted the attached bug on our bedding this morning and yesterday saw one crawling in our dog's fur. We've looked all over him and if there are more we can't see them. He's not scratching or in distress. So it can't be a serious problem for him.

I assumed fleas look more orange and fat. I think I saw this thing hop, but again, it wasn't like I imagined and am not really sure if it didn't fly. Does it even have wings? It's had to saw. It looks a lot darker and thinner than a flea. It's small too - about 2mm long?

Is this a flea or something else? Thanks

M
Attachments
IMG_6092.jpg
IMG_6092.jpg (563.26 KiB) Viewed 441 times
IMG_6087.jpg
IMG_6087.jpg (624.98 KiB) Viewed 441 times
IMG_6086.jpg
IMG_6086.jpg (453.68 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: What is this biting me??

Post by Chuck »

Looks like a cockroach, but 2mm would be way too small. I don't think that's what bit you.

The red area on your bite is a sub-skin infection resulting from the bite/ sting.

It would help if we knew where you were.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

zaarin_2003 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 am ...We spotted the attached bug on our bedding this morning and yesterday saw one crawling in our dog's fur...
This is most certainly a flea. I've had my share of experiences with them over the years, unfortunately! Yes, the bites can be incredibly itchy, and many people have an allergic reaction to flea bites, which makes things even worse. I can't tell which species of flea it is from the photos, but if it's a rather small and dark one, it may possibly be a cat flea, which are particularly aggressive biters! -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_flea

https://bugguide.net/node/view/30402
zaarin_2003
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by zaarin_2003 »

livingplanet3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:55 pm
zaarin_2003 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 am ...We spotted the attached bug on our bedding this morning and yesterday saw one crawling in our dog's fur...
This is most certainly a flea. I've had my share of experiences with them over the years, unfortunately! Yes, the bites can be incredibly itchy, and many people have an allergic reaction to flea bites, which makes things even worse. I can't tell which species of flea it is from the photos, but if it's a rather small and dark one, it may possibly be a cat flea, which are particularly aggressive biters! -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_flea

https://bugguide.net/node/view/30402
Thanks! That one - fifth from the left on your second link. That's the b*stard! I was blaming the dog, but it must be the cat. He sleeps on my wife's side, which explains why she's been bitten more.

I dosed the cat with Advocate just yesterday, but we got bit again an hour ago in bed. I want to dose him again, but don't know if it's bad for him! Sorry, I realise I should ask a vet about that!
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

It is likely not advisable for you to over-medicate (dose) your cat a second time with anything. You're only asking for a vet bill then....

Far wiser, to remove your bed sheets and wash them in hot water and clothes soap. You should as well remove any comforters or blankets that you have and see to it that they are also thoroughly washed in hot water and soap.

Your really fluffy or thick comforter can be taken to the local laundromat and washed in one of their big drum washers which can handle the load since the average washer cannot.

Further you should see to it that the carpeting in ANY bedrooms is cleaned by a steam cleaning service. They use (extremely) hot water in the carpet cleaning process which will kill any fleas or their eggs which are harbored in the carpeting; another favorite place (harborage) for fleas.

I was once an exterminator for a time so I do know something of the pest business....