Double Trouble - Real or Fake?

Discussion on other insect orders not covered above and on other invertebrates such as arachnids, centipedes, millipedes, etc,
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Double Trouble - Real or Fake?

Post by boghaunter1 »

Here is something very unusual that has "bugged" me for years... an awesome double barreled predator, from Thailand, that was for sale, online, years ago. It is the only example of a scorpion with 2 tails/stingers that I have ever seen before or since that time. Was it a real, natural scorpion? (looks convincing... my "I wanna believe" opinion only :? )... or is it a really good hoax/fake? Anyone out there own this beast? or know of similar specimens? Certainly an interesting conversation starter... :o :shock:
Heterometrus laoticus -Ab. with 2 tails - Thailand.jpg
Heterometrus laoticus -Ab. with 2 tails - Thailand.jpg (310.07 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
John K.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Double Trouble - Real or Fake?

Post by kevinkk »

I think it's fake. It's unlikely that anyone is going to be 100% sure from looking at just the 1 photo. I suppose it could happen, because just about anything can, but this looks too perfect and symmetrical. The stingers are in weird position as well.
I've never seen an animal like this depicted or for sale.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

Can happen and looks real to me.

Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

I would suspect it is real. Was it offered by “mybutterflybugs”? It looks like one of their offerings. If so, Sharon is a very honest seller in my experience. Also, numerous examples of living scorpions with two tails can be found with a little searching. They don’t all divide in exactly the same way or at the same joint, but they definitely exist. Nothing in the photo says “fake” to me.

“Update” - Eurytides - that was one of the photos I found as well! Almost posted it myself! There are numerous others as well. Your post appeared as I was writing mine.
Last edited by Panacanthus on Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

I'd never heard of a two-tailed scorpion until now, but indeed, they do occur -

https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/7020- ... d-stingers
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Many Thanks eurytides, Panacanthus & livingplanet3 for solving this long standing mystery for me... I thought it was possible & looked authentic, but just wasn't sure... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Sorry, I can't remember who the dealer was!... only that they were located in Thailand & sold some really nice "Bugs" about 10-15 years ago. I couldn't find them in the suppliers list on this site..

John K. :D
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

'Sharon' was a dealer in W Malaysia, not Thailand. I heard she was closed down by the Malaysian authorities.

Adam.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

adamcotton wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 pm 'Sharon' was a dealer in W Malaysia, not Thailand. I heard she was closed down by the Malaysian authorities.

Adam.
That’s unfortunate to hear Adam (unless ‘she’ deserved it of course!). I believe boghaunter1 meant the scorpion was from Thailand, not the seller. They always offered premium specimens though, and I had good transactions with them. Anyways the seller “mybutterflybugs” (from Malaysia) is still on eBay and they actually have another freak scorpion right now with an extra leg. Appears to be genuine and looks like the same species as what boghaunter1 showed, and it was collected in Thailand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154423878697?h ... SwlTheLF58
Last edited by Panacanthus on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

The scorpion in the photo does look like the common giant black scorpion (I don't know the scientific name). I seem to remember that the Malaysian species is different. These are very common here, and are almost harmless, just aggressive in appearance and behaviour.

I believe it is genuine, look at the shape of the segment above the split and you can see it has two sides.

Adam.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Panacanthus... Yes, I, mistakenly, thought both the scorpion & the seller were from Thailand. :? Looking at the ebay "mybutterflybugs" site, from Malaysia, I see that many of their showy, example specimens for sale, are very nicely mounted & often displayed with the characteristic yellow ruler. So the doubleheader scorpion may indeed be from Thailand (as Adam suggests) & the seller certainly appears to be from Malaysia (if they have been in business since 10-15 years ago). Thanks again to Panacanthus & Adam for clearing this up. It's getting to be a regular habit for Panacanthus & Adam & a few others 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) ... to clear up & answer my many mystery questions! Much appreciated & one of the great things (knowledge exchange) about this website!

John K.