boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Biggest Beetle

Post by boghaunter1 »

Some big beetles offered for sale online in the past III,

Dynastes hercules, 183mm, $6,000 USD (Probably reared?)
Dynastes hercules 183mm, Giant... $6,000.00 USD... Holy Crap....jpg
Dynastes hercules 183mm, Giant... $6,000.00 USD... Holy Crap....jpg (169.98 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Batocera kibleri, 370mm Antennae spread
Batocera kibleri -male 370mm Antennae spread- Bougainville.jpg
Batocera kibleri -male 370mm Antennae spread- Bougainville.jpg (230.24 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
John K.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I thought Batocera wallacei was longer/ larger than kibleri ??
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

That is a big Dynastes hercules. Rearing beetles brings up a thought, I've tried raising beetles, and it's not as easy as it might look. But there is the
possibility of manipulating living conditions to produce beetles much larger than might be found in the wild.
Is a reared beetle on the same par as a wild beetle? In other words- is a reared beetle worth as much to a collector than a wild capture, or does it matter? I would expect data for a specimen would include that information, as I use x-ova and so on for my animals.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Even bigger Titanus giganteus? We all are aware of the record 16.7 cm T. g.. Here are 2 older specimens offered for sale in the past that claim to beat that... these specimens looked fresh & not dried down when they would probaby lose 2-5mm?

1267050975_70912361_1-Photos-de-TITANUS-GIGANTEUS-168cmword-recordTiTAN-malewwwguyane-entomologiefr.jpg
1267050975_70912361_1-Photos-de-TITANUS-GIGANTEUS-168cmword-recordTiTAN-malewwwguyane-entomologiefr.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
6825754207_173a608539_z.jpg
6825754207_173a608539_z.jpg (148.88 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
John K.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Here's my largest T. giganteus specimen, at 152 mm. A fine and rather large example of the species, and I have no regrets about having purchased it when given the opportunity by a fellow collector in 2010. He was working on downsizing his collection, and gave me a great price. One of the front tarsi was detached upon arrival, but was a very easy repair with a bit of superglue -

T_giganteus.jpg
T_giganteus.jpg (160.18 KiB) Viewed 4238 times

I also have a slightly smaller specimen (150 mm).
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Beautiful specimen ! πŸŽ‰πŸ‘β˜ΊοΈ

You were very fortunate to get one that size and at reasonable cost. I looked around for about 3 year before I was able to land the 14.3cm that I have. Anything much bigger was in the $800 to $1,200 range with sizes running to 15.1cm (at that time).

At 15 cm beetles like this are pretty much the centerpiece or (nucleus) of anyone's beetle collection !

Bravo livingplanet3....πŸŽ‰πŸ˜Ž
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Those are incredible John....πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ‘

Thank you for showing these and the many other ones which were once offered for sale.

I never saw either of these Titanus offered so I'm very happy you have showed them ! ☺️
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Chuck wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pm I thought Batocera wallacei was longer/ larger than kibleri ??
I'm not sure which species of Batocera attains the greatest body size or has the longest antennae, but here are two of my Batoceras for comparison. I do not spread most Cerambycidae with their antennae in this position, but it's nice to see a few select individuals in this "showy" posture!

Batocera lamondi

body length = 83mm (could be 90mm with mandibles positioned forward but that head position doesn't work as well for spreading antennae in this fashion)

span of antennae as spread in photo = 435mm

IF antennae were spread straight out (no curve) the span would be 501mm from tip to tip (that's nearly 20 inches!!)

Batocera wallacei

body length = 84mm (again, could easily measure 90mm with mandibles facing forward)

span of antennae as spread in photo = 387mm

IF antennae were spread straight out (no curve) the span would be 438mm from tip to tip

Therefore, since body size is nearly equal for these two specimens, it does appear that at least between B. lamondi and B. wallacei, B. lamondi has the longer antennae. However, Batocera wallacei wins when it comes to length of front legs!

BW BL IN.jpg
BW BL IN.jpg (676.53 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
β€œSeems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

These may be a bit of a repetition, but here are a couple more Macrodontia cervicornis and another Titanus giganteus.

The largest male I've been able to acquire (afford!) is this one at 162mm.
MC IN.jpg
MC IN.jpg (514.3 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

And since this species is not commonly seen spread with its wings open, I'll add this one also. It was 153mm before spreading the wings.
MC spread IN.jpg
MC spread IN.jpg (708.65 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

Titanus giganteus 152mm
TG IN.jpg
TG IN.jpg (540.46 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
β€œSeems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

This is my largest Callipogon armillatus at 130mm. Specimens of this size are not easy to find with such clean and perfect elytra. It has also been fully degreased.
CA IN.jpg
CA IN.jpg (617.77 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

This is a pair of Xixuthrus microcerus buruensis. I purchased these many years ago.

Male = 127mm
Female = 113mm

XMB IN.jpg
XMB IN.jpg (560.88 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

:shock: :shock: Totally Awesome Specimens Panacanthus... very, very impressive & superbly mounted. Thanks for posting... got anymore?? :D

John K.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

I totally concur with John's comments. πŸ‘β˜ΊοΈ

Panacanthus, you really have the most impeccably prepared/presented specimens. πŸŽ‰πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

I am also AMAZED at some of the giants of the beetle realm that you have acquired. Holy Cow !!!πŸ‘€

Indeed, please do post any other grand examples you may have of Mega-beetles.πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Here is my own large example of Callipogon armillatus.
Body length is 11.6 cm.
Data: Brazil, Parana, 30.July.1962

Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Here is my example of Xixuthrus microcerus buruensis.
Body length is 12.3 cm.

I spread this one in a lifelike posture (as I also prepared
the Titanus and Macrodontia) a few posts earlier.

I get my "inspiration" from images I've seen on the web or
even in some books. I look closely at leg posture, how the
antennae are held (in life), and if mandibles appear closed
or open. I only do this with "special subjects" befitting their
already grand appearance.

I find the results appealing....

Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Panacanthus wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am
Chuck wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pm I thought Batocera wallacei was longer/ larger than kibleri ??
I'm not sure which species of Batocera attains the greatest body size or has the longest antennae, but here are two of my Batoceras for comparison. I do not spread most Cerambycidae with their antennae in this position, but it's nice to see a few select individuals in this "showy" posture!

Batocera lamondi

body length = 83mm (could be 90mm with mandibles positioned forward but that head position doesn't work as well for spreading antennae in this fashion)

span of antennae as spread in photo = 435mm

IF antennae were spread straight out (no curve) the span would be 501mm from tip to tip (that's nearly 20 inches!!)

Batocera wallacei

body length = 84mm (again, could easily measure 90mm with mandibles facing forward)

span of antennae as spread in photo = 387mm

IF antennae were spread straight out (no curve) the span would be 438mm from tip to tip

Therefore, since body size is nearly equal for these two specimens, it does appear that at least between B. lamondi and B. wallacei, B. lamondi has the longer antennae. However, Batocera wallacei wins when it comes to length of front legs!

The manner in which yours are set is expressive and impressive. That is though half a Cornell drawer for two specimens!

Wow. I just measured the longest antenna of my papered specimens of (formerly known as kibleri) and it's only 187mm. Double that, add about 5mm for the span between the antennae, and it's only 379mm. My lamondi are set in a manner that it would not be easy to measure antennae spread.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Chuck wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:33 pm My lamondi are set in a manner that it would not be easy to measure antennae spread.
I suppose you could use thread to follow the antennae, and then measure the length of the thread. Just an idea, I have never tried to measure beetle antennae as I do not have any.

Adam.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

58chevy wrote: ↑Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:35 pm Determining which beetle species is the largest on earth depends on how you measure it. Overall weight is the standard...
Well, if you go just by weight alone, I don't think that any other insect could rival that of the mature, 3rd instar male larvae of Megasoma actaeon, which can reach an incredible 200 grams, which has been demonstrated through captive breeding (Lai, 2016). The larvae of Megasoma mars may possibly reach similar weights. I've also seen some quite massive larvae of Dynastes hercules, but they probably don't match the weight of the largest M. actaeon larvae. The larvae of some Goliathus spp. can certainly exceed 100 grams, but don't even come close to rivaling the weight that can be attained by those of the giant Megasoma spp.

I'm not sure what the weight of a mature larva of Titanus giganteus would be, but to my knowledge, the larva of this species has still not yet been positively found, let alone weighed. Could they possibly rival, if not exceed, the weight of the largest dynastine scarab larvae?
Trehopr1 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:49 pm Here is my singular example of T. giganteus. It is of modest size
(for the species) but, was sensibly affordable at the same time...
Trehopr1 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:20 pm Another of the great ones is this primeval-looking
monster of the Amazon region. Its distribution is
rather wide with its presence in Brazil, Peru, Ecuador,
Columbia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, and French
Guiana. Males run the gamut of size from as little
as 8 or 9 cm on up to the record of 17.7 cm (owned
by a japanese collector).
Beautiful specimens!
boghaunter1 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 am Some big beetles offered for sale online in the past,

Macrodontis cervicornis, 170mm, Peru, $1,899.00 USD...
boghaunter1 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:50 am Some big beetles offered for sale online in the past II,

Titanus giganteus, 163mm, $2,776.34 CAD (Cheap... broken elytra & in Canadian $$!)...
boghaunter1 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:14 am Some big beetles offered for sale online in the past III,

Dynastes hercules, 183mm, $6,000 USD (Probably reared?)...
Very impressive!
kevinkk wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:02 pm Rearing beetles brings up a thought, I've tried raising beetles, and it's not as easy as it might look...
In regard to some of the more demanding, higher-maintenance species, especially those with long life cycles and rather specific requirements for successful pupation, yes - that is very true!
Panacanthus wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am I'm not sure which species of Batocera attains the greatest body size or has the longest antennae, but here are two of my Batoceras for comparison. I do not spread most Cerambycidae with their antennae in this position, but it's nice to see a few select individuals in this "showy" posture!...
Panacanthus wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:21 am These may be a bit of a repetition, but here are a couple more Macrodontia cervicornis and another Titanus giganteus....
Panacanthus wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:33 am This is my largest Callipogon armillatus at 130mm. Specimens of this size are not easy to find with such clean and perfect elytra. It has also been fully degreased...
Panacanthus wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:43 am This is a pair of Xixuthrus microcerus buruensis. I purchased these many years ago. I'm not positive if the name is still current...
Those are all truly remarkable specimens! :)
Trehopr1 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:11 am Here is my own large example of Callipogon armillatus.
Body length is 11.6 cm.
Data: Brazil, Parana, 30.July.1962...
Trehopr1 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:29 am Here is my example of Xixuthrus microcerus buruensis.
Body length is 12.3 cm...
Also very nice! :)
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Megasoma actaeon - not a true "monster" specimen at 122mm, but still quite a nice wingspan at 235mm!
Actaeon IN2.jpg
Actaeon IN2.jpg (787.59 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

Chalcosoma caucasus 128mm
CC IN.jpg
CC IN.jpg (548.33 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Superb specimens Panacanthus, beautifully mounted, as usual. :o I have mounted similar specimens to yours, except slightly smaller at 120mm for M. actaeon & 125mm for C. caucasus. I thought my C. caucasus was big...but yours is one of the largest I have ever seen.... Congrats! :shock: Anyone know just how big (wild only) these 2 spp. can reach... reportedly 130-135mm?

John K.