Insect World, San Diego, CA...

Request information on insect specimen traders or offer reports about your transactions from your personal experience. Only registered users can view this information.
akraider
Reactions:
United States of America

Insect World, San Diego, CA...

Post by akraider »

Has anyone done any business with them?...can't seem to find any feed back on them...they say they've been in business for 45 years...
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Insect World, San Diego, CA...

Post by Chuck »

There are some discussions about Insect World on the archived forums.

No matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to search for "Insect World" it seems to ignore the quotes.

So I searched on the owner's surname Derosa https://archive.insectnet.com/search/re ... xJV78Dz3PQ

Summary of years of observation: 25 years ago I bought a number of specimens from them. I got caught in the middle between IW and one of their suppliers and was less than satisfied, and never did anything with them again. Since then their selection has dropped a lot. Buyers report various levels of satisfaction.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Someone told me they are no longer in business as the owner has retired.

There is a chance this could be (hearsay) but, I have not heard of anyone in these past few years having done any business with them. I never ordered anything from them myself....
akraider
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by akraider »

Thank you...all my efforts searching for history or back ground on them have come up empty and their site seems a little flakey...I think I'll just quietly move on...
biscuit153
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by biscuit153 »

I made a purchase with them just about 2 months ago. It was over the holidays so there was a bit of a delay in getting the shipment to me but the communication was good. Several of the items I purchased were not available, so the website is not totally accurate. Some items were not of the quality as advertised, but again I was able to communicate with them and had replacements sent to me quickly. The prices were reasonable. I had a good experience with them and would buy again.
jellybean
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jellybean »

I placed an order with Dave De Rosa on 14 Jan 1976 from his 1975 Butterfly Art price list, and several more orders from the 1970's and into the 1990's. About 1985 Dave changed his company name to Insect World. I have a list of insects that I bought from him in 1991 at the Insect Fair at the Los Angeles Arboretum. Dave has had several tables at the LA County Natural History Museum "Bug" Fairs for many years, including the one last May if I recall properly. I have not looked for his website for awhile. Maybe he just does the Fairs now. He is one the nicest persons I have ever met.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

I have not purchased from Dave in quite a few years, but my experience is much like “jellybean’s”. In the past I have dealt with Dave countless times, both at fairs and through the mail, and have never had the slightest problem. Quite the opposite actually. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate dealer in my experience. And like jellybean said - very nice person.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Damoose
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Damoose »

I purchase insects from Dave at Insect World on a regular basis. I just got a box last week. He ships promptly and quality is good. Yes, he has been in business for 45 years.
rwhitman
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by rwhitman »

I have been doing business with them for over 15 years and placed an order just yesterday. I saw Dave (Dave DeRosa) at the Bugfair in Los Angeles in May 2023 as well. He is a great guy to know. Always helpful. Just write him an email: insectworld@gmail.com