French lepidopterists

General discussion on entomology
thejsonboss
Reactions:
United States of America

French lepidopterists

Post by thejsonboss »

I was looking at doing a trip to France in the next few years since they are more collector friendly than most and I know a good bit of the language. I want to avoid trouble as much as possible so I was hoping to connect with collectors in the country so I can avoid catching anything where I shouldn't. If anyone knows of any groups related to this or have experience in France I would greatly appreciate responses or DMs. Thank you.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: French lepidopterists

Post by Trehopr1 »

Perhaps, Olivier can get you in touch with Jean-Marc.gayman (JMG) who is on the insect collectors forum. I believe, he heads or is part of one of the lepidoptera societies there in France.

He seems a very nice and outgoing "gentleman". He may even be able to help you find places to stay or perhaps you could even go collecting with him whilst there.
Rumina
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Rumina »

Hi Trehopr 1, Having read your post I wonder whether you could help me navigate to a site where I can contact French lepidopterists / collectors please? Kind Regards, Rumina .
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I am sure you will get answers right here, as the owner of Insectnet is French. I expect he can advise when he sees the thread. There are also a number of other French members.

You could try the following link for the Association des Lépidoptéristes de France (ALF):
https://www.lepidofrance.fr/

Adam.
thejsonboss
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by thejsonboss »

Rumina wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:41 pm Hi Trehopr 1, Having read your post I wonder whether you could help me navigate to a site where I can contact French lepidopterists / collectors please? Kind Regards, Rumina .
I have found this forum, which is surprisingly very active. I haven't seen a lot of collectors though.
https://www.insecte.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Sorry for my late reply, I am in holiday in the French Alpes.

The best areas for collecting in number of species are Provence and French Alpes. I think Provence is the best for a foreigner as it is a wonderful place with great food and wine too. But it can be very hot in summer. French Alpes would be cooler thanks to elevation (but can be a bit rainy).
In Provence, I would recommend Luberon mountains.

You can collect everywhere in France, except National Parks.
There are few protected species : https://inpn.mnhn.fr/reglementation/pro ... Arrete/625 (Parnassius, Zerynthia, Euphydryas, Maculinea and few others).

If you respect these 2 easy things, collecting in Provence will be fun. There are plenty of foreign collectors there in Spring/Summer.

If you really go there, let me know, and I will give you some collecting spots I know.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

thejsonboss wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:03 pm
Rumina wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:41 pm Hi Trehopr 1, Having read your post I wonder whether you could help me navigate to a site where I can contact French lepidopterists / collectors please? Kind Regards, Rumina .
I have found this forum, which is surprisingly very active. I haven't seen a lot of collectors though.
https://www.insecte.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Why surprisingly ? There are PLENTY of entomologists in Europe. :)

There is also Insecterra forum with more than 8000 members : https://insecterra.forumactif.com/
thejsonboss
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by thejsonboss »

First, thank you so much for your reply. I feel much less blind.
wollastoni wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm You can collect everywhere in France, except National Parks.
I know you said everywhere, but are the regional nature parks like le parc naturel régional du Luberon ok then or are those considered national parks?
wollastoni wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm If you really go there, let me know, and I will give you some collecting spots I know.
Barring something horrific it will be happening. Next year is the plan unless there are very bad drought conditions.

I understand that it's not the time for specifics necessarily, but the french alpes are a big area (and seem to be mostly national parks). If you were to go to only one or two areas in them where would it be? Need to consider flights, lodging etc in making the big decision.

Thank you again.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Yes you can collect in "Regional Parks" : in fact they are not parks, they are "nice natural areas" with small villages and so on.

Best time to go :
- Provence : April/June. (airport in Marseilles / Avignon)
- Alpes, you can go to Haute Savoie : July (airport in Geneva / Annecy)

Between Provence and Alpes, I would recommend Provence except if you really want some high altitude species like Erebia.
In Provence, Luberon is great. Alpilles too. But I prefer Luberon