Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Eurytides callias

Post by Paul K »

Very nice species.
For tropical Papilionidae especially species in tribe Leptocircini one has to collect them when mud puddling, the net should be gently placed over and dropped on the ground to unable any butterfly in move too much before pinch or injection. They are very fast flyers and net these in the air is very difficult.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Yes, nice species. Trehopr, do you get E. marcellus where you are? They are difficult to catch, especially without knocking off the tails. The early Spring brood is most abundant and if you find a good spot for them you can get plenty of practice and some intact specimens.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Lovely specimenTrehopr. I have older specimens in my collection. This species not easy to obtain in my experience.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hi 58chevy,
I am only able to collect E. marcellus in the Central portion of Illinois and further on south to the Kentucky border. It's a minimum 3-hour drive to potentially find it but, it takes about 6 hours to get to the far southern counties where it can be collected more readily if you hit things just right !

I have collected perhaps 15 specimens of it over the years and I have only been able to actually catch it on purple clover while pollinating. Otherwise, the species is impossible to catch on the wing; their fast, erratic flight pretty much guarantees you won't get much of a swing at them and if you do you'll probably damage it.

Absolutely love the species and the mid and late summer generations has the longest tails. Have managed six or eight really good specimens out of 15 encountered whilst the rest were released due to damage.

For me, it's probably the most difficult swallowtail species (here) to capture much less get a good specimen of in the field. A worthy challenge indeed....