jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Sesiid lures

Post by jhyatt »

I'd like some advice from an experienced Sesiid moth collector:

Which 4-6 lures would you recommend be used to survey Sesiids in the Southern Appalachians, given no
previous data on which species might be present in the specific area? In other words, what lures would you use for shot-in-the-dark survey work
in Appalachian hardwood forest and nearby clearings?

And a second question: Can one successfully use two different lures in one trap? Is there any real, hard data on whether this is useful, or is a bad idea?

Thanks,
jh
evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Sesiid lures

Post by evra »

In the west the 3 most general lures seem to be:

greater peachtree borer
lesser peachtree borer
squash vine borer

I haven’t had much luck with the rest, but there isn’t raspberry or dogwood where I live. Those would probably be better in the East.

Yes, you can put multiple lures in a single trap. Only about 4 lures will fit at a time though. If you don’t care which lure attracted which species it works fine.
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

John, the answer is: all of the lures you can get your hands on. But, you cannot willy-nilly combine lures of different species without years of trial and error. My recommendation, is to never combine more than two different lure identities in a single trap. Consider, we have captured about 400,000 adult clearwing moths here in Louisiana amounting to around 35 described species and 25 or more newly discovered undescribed species. We have operating a series of self-designed, high-wattage automatic-capture light traps, automatic-capture bait traps, automatic-capture lure traps, flight traps, and pitfall traps for 53 consecutive years in the state of Louisiana, USA. We captured clearwing moths using all of these methods, and rarely using a hand net. Our insect trap inventory of insect traps is 450-500 units. Research and trapping efforts are ongoing 24--hours of every day/night, 365-366 days/nights of every year since 1969, and is especially concentrated on lepidoptera, with emphasis on the moths of the state of Louisiana. Most orders of insects are taken in the various traps and the majority of the non-lepidoptera processed specimens are usually deposited in museums here and abroad. To a lesser extent, research and collecting also includes Louisiana coleoptera, especially cerambycidae and scarabidae. Though certainly we have captured numerous billions of coleoptera in our unique automatic-capture traps of numerous types and designs. Well over 400 species of moths new to science have been discovered within the state of Louisiana in addition to newly recording about 3000 species of moths occurring in the state of Louisiana. Personal research collection of Louisiana lepidoptera ~(450,000) specimens is housed in Abita Springs, Louisiana. Also, engaged in revision of the world Erebidae moth genus Eudocima, including numerous new species descriptions. Targeted ongoing regional entomological surveys occurring at any given time within the state of Louisiana. The *Abita Entomological study site is recognized by researchers worldwide as the most studied location anywhere worldwide regarding its entomological fauna. Collecting has occurred at this particular location unabated every second of every day using 450-500 insect traps for the past 40 years. Researchers: Vernon Antoine Brou Jr. and Charlotte Dozar Brou. Here is a link to a 61 page (drawers) pdf illustrating about 10% of the adults we have captured and pinned/spread/labeled over the past half century. https://www.academia.edu/90658692/Addit ... _Louisiana I could spend another few lifetimes just working on these clearwing moths here in Louisiana. It seems we never have stopped discovering new undescribed species. The current Sesiidae literature (MONA) is a huge mess. E.g. those authors described Synanthedon arkansasensis Duckworth and Eichlin, in 1973, 49 years ago. But, during our decades of investigations we found that over the past half century, numerous hundreds of adult clearwing moths (13 different species) were determined and labeled by Duckworth (and/or) Eichlin to be S. arkansasensis. These misidentified specimens contain D&E determination labels and exist in various museum and university collections, and notable private collections. We picture nine of these species misidentified by these authors in our upcoming manuscript). Originally, I discovered that these authors had four other species mixed in with their original (1973 Type series in the USNM) of S. arkansasensis that were not S. arkansasensis. Attached is a jpg illustrating Louisiana Synanthedon scitula along with specimens of 3 additional new undescribed species, all of which were determined by Eichlin to be S. arkansasensis, but none of which are that species.

You asked about which lures. Attached is an example of the lures (identities and numbers of lures) placed in each of the 87 semiochemical lure traps we operated on a tree farm in NW Louisiana in 2019. We surveyed this location for 26 months. I have have often used two dozen or more lures in a single trap numerous times. Also don't believe any of that sales hype about lures only lasting a few months, most lures will last as much as 4 years out in the traps in the woods continuously for as much as over 4 years. My traps operate in the same locations year after year after year. We never pick up our traps, as we can capture clearwing moths every day/night of the calendar year from January 1 to December 31. Also is a list of the lures identities and quantities of the 65 traps we used at that same tree farm location in 2018. We also had traps at other locations, and we ourselves designed and fabricated the majority of our 250+ semiochemical lure traps.
Attachments
2018g.jpg
2018g.jpg (736.12 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
2019 -87 trap-lure identitiesportrait.jpg
2019 -87 trap-lure identitiesportrait.jpg (205.13 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Comparison.jpg
Comparison.jpg (223.51 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

John,

It is easy to use common plastic containers you throw out in your trash to fabricate clearwing moth lure traps that work far better than any available on the market worldwide. The commercially available traps are designed for monitoring species, not collecting species for study and place into collections. Attached are 30 trap examples on one jpg, also typical capture amounts seen in this one trap basket. And also we have attached an aerial view of that tree farm illustrating where we placed our 87 traps in 2019. I have used clearwing moth semiochemicals in traps since 1976 continuously and non-stop to present day. This is somewhat of an expensive group to study, as in order for you to find the species occurring in your study area, you really need traps and a wide variety of lures and a superior killing agent as one of the cyanides. I have used NaCn for the past 47 years, in fact purchased numerous drums amounting to at least 2,000 pounds of either granular or briquettes. No pest strips do not work, dichlorvos… strips are useless also. If you expect to collect clearwing moths with a hand net, you will be very disappointed. Clearwing moths are extremely hyperactive in a net and by the time you retrieve your specimens from the net, they are unrecognizable having few scales remaining, and consequently worthless. They need to be dispatched within 15-20 seconds after entering the trap in order to capture good quality adults, hence cyanides. Some species are active for only 15-20 minutes in a day and for only +/- 2 weeks in a year. For each species which 15-20 minutes and which 2 weeks is your impossible mission assignment should you accept it. You won’t live long enough to collect them standing in the woods with a hand net.

Regarding, which species occur in your study area, who the hell knows? You will have to survey your study location for many years. I am confident no one at all has ever studied the clearwing fauna in your study location. No one had any idea I would discover over 25 species new to science, or an additional 35 named species here in my state. You will have to collect all year long and do it 24 hours every day Jan 1-Dec. 31 to find these things. Some species are nocturnally active and most others are diurnal in activity. Even more some species fly mid-morning, others before noon, others mid-afternoon, others in late afternoon, others just before dusk, on and on……

If you have the MONA fascicle, there are dozens upon dozens of errors there. And, based upon the work we have done over 5 decades we must mention that the authors of MONA sesiids treated only 123 already described species, never describing a single new species in MONA. These authors disregarded the previous monumental works on the taxonomy of clearwing moths by Beutenmuller and Englehardt, thus anecdotally saying there are only 1,000 species worldwide. When I propose that there are far more than 1,000 species of clearwing moths just in the USA and Canada, not just 123. Also if you have any sesiids publications/semiochemical publications etc published in the past half century, consider most all of those specimens of all species were determined by these same two authors. This situation has drastically screwed up our NA taxonomical and lure related publications almost to a point of no return. If you have the Clearwing borers of Florida, all of those specimens were determined by D&E as well and there are many errors in that poorly done publication as well. In that publication there is one species identified under two different species names, and e.g. regarding S. arkansasensis, the specimen illustrated as that species (identified by Eichlin) is not S. arkansasensis but still another new undescribed species, but this specimen illustrated was actually captured in Wayne Co. Missouri by the late J.R. Heitzman, not in Florida. I have this material here sitting on my desk right now. Consider these same two authors have also published major works on clearwing moths in countries throughout the world. Another catastrophic mess lying in wait for sesiidologists of the world.

Now, to further expound on your questions, there are primarily 7 different semiochemical sesiid lure formulations in North America, plus a few others more recently developed. When and if you get a few years under your belt you may want to special order lures to your specifications. One year I began with 1,100 sesiid lures, most all special order lures. The species Carmenta pyralidiformis (Walker) within Louisiana has been captured utilizing ultraviolet light traps and semiochemical lures, in particular commercial lures labeled as Sequoiae Pitch moth, Scentry brand's L103, and Western Poplar. A very efficacious lure involves a combination of varying percentages of Sequoiae Pitch moth lures and Western Poplar lures, e.g. 50/50. Neither of these two western US species lures were developed for this eastern US clearwing moth. Additionally we have used dozens of lures manufactured manufactured in counties across the world. And we have in the past used lures for local noctuid species, local saturnid species and local pyralid species.

Hopefully I have enlightened you concerning these matters. See attachments
Attachments
DSCF5547 reduc.jpg
DSCF5547 reduc.jpg (479.44 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
TRAPS 1,2,3_Page_3cr.jpg
TRAPS 1,2,3_Page_3cr.jpg (560.26 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
map of traps 1-87 Caddo Parish.jpg
map of traps 1-87 Caddo Parish.jpg (308.25 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Vernon,

Thanks for the informative reply. I don't think I'm ready to invest the time or money required to try almost all of the commercial lures, but I certainly admire your tenacity in doing so!

Do I understand correctly from your Figure 2 that the listed lures failed to attract adult Sesiids in your study area? I would have thought that S. pictipes lure would have brought in something.

Many years ago I did some Sesiid trapping for a Chicago collector, name of Holoyda as I recall. He supplied lures and traps (the old green cylindrical ones with the flat "roof") and I caught a lot of moths and sent them to him. He was supposed to determine the species and return vouchers to me for my collection, but the poor fellow died shortly after receiving my bugs, and that was the last of that. But lately I've gotten the urge to look at local Sesiids again, and will try as many lures as I can justify buying.

Many thanks for your comments and the benefit of your experience!
jh
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Vernon,

I meant to mention that you're absolutely correct when it comes to net-collecting Sesiids. In my 50+ years of swinging a net, I've seen, recognized, and caught exactly two specimens in the family! And I don't recall ever having found one in my light traps...
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I'm more tempted to try lures, though Sesiidae are not my specialty.

I've taken under two dozen at the BLB and lucky net captures in over 40 years. I do see them, oddly enough near one corner of our house, but catching them is a different matter.

One I've always wanted is the Squash Vine Borer Eichlinia cucurbitae. I saw one about three years ago flying along a creek in Cattaraugus County, western NY. With the "hair" splayed out and the bright color it looked very impressive. Fortunately I had my net, and swept it up. Unfortunately, somehow, it was not in the net. Oddly enough, AFAIK there is no squash anywhere near that area.

That's the ONLY cucurbitae I've ever seen in my life, anywhere. But check iNaturalist, and sure has heck there are observations in my area...the power of thousands of cameras.

If anyone settles on a few of Vernon's successful lures and wants to split an order, or share, or let me know what and where they ordered, I'll give it a go. This would be even less work than MV lights, and FAR less work than being torn up and stung in the field.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

I would love to try that too.
Please if any one know where and what to order.
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

John, Keep in mind we have provided you with info of the traps and lures during 2018 ad 2019 at one location. We had traps at several other locations those years as well. And we had similar collecting every year continuously using semiochemical lures from 1975 to 2022, so far. Consequently we have experimented with a lots and lots of lures. What virtually all entomologist, regardless of how many acronyms are behind their names or how many books and publications they have written is: Every brand (manufacturer) of semiochemical lures is created in some part differently from other brands. Not only that, but every batch produced by each manufacturer of lures of a particular identity is created in some part differently from other batches. Not only that, but when a particular manufacturer replaces his equipment (e.g. gas chromatographs, etc.), and installs new equipment, the lures produced are again in some part differently produced, as well as when a particular manufacturer changes his production procedures and methods to produce a particular lure identity, those lures again are in part different from others. Then there is the various sources of the original feedstocks, this too affects what is ultimately produced. All of these scenarios can have differing outcomes.

You asked about Synanthedon pictipes. I have attached a jpg illustrating 8 different pictipes-like adults all captured here at my home, and I have similar others from locations elsewhere in the state. I have captured 6 of these 8 illustrated using S. pictipes semiochemical lures. Can you see which one of these is S. pictipes? Well when I sent examples of all of these you see here and more to Eichlin years before and after the publication of MONA, he returned them all to me with his determination labels saying they were S. pictipes (all of them). This despite the fact that I had dissected 4 of them for him illustrating all very different genitalia. Well the answer concerning these 8 is that none of these are S. pictipes. What does that mean? There are no experts. And of course, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

You need to be aware that the majority (95+%) of all the sesiidae literature produced in the past one and a half centuries in North America whether it be MONA, field guides, via universities, county agents, governmental researchers, on and on..... is unsubstantiated foolishness. How do I know? Well, over several decades back, I corresponded with numerous dozens of the active sesiid researchers who published hundreds of studies on sesiids and on semiochemical lure development. I asked them if all of their adult captures were made using (glue) sticky traps? To that question 100% of them responded yes. I also asked them all e.g. how did you determine the thousands of specimens you reported as 'such and such species' were actually those species? All of them answered in similar fashion... e.g. we used Dogwood borer lures so we assumed that is what we were collecting, and they further all had an explanation that most of the specimens were unidentifiable and damaged or destroyed due to the sticky traps. It was not always possible to readily identify the trapped specimens as they were more often very worn trapped over days/weeks/months. And these were the so-called learned experts.

Answers from all researchers regarding the species of clearwing moths they investigated were similarly worded as well. These agricultural researchers for the most part are not taxonomist and most of these publications are not centered around, nor do they address clearwing moth taxonomy. In fact, most of these agricultural related publications do not even broach the subject of taxonomy. It was plainly evident from the statements made in correspondence received from most of these researchers that it was not that important what the true identity of some or all the reported species were. These numerous dozens of investigators based their research and conclusions upon misguided belief that only the one particular species of moth is attracted to a particular semiochemical lure bearing the identification name of one species. Where such thinking originated from, shuns common sense and reality. We mention this as a forewarning to others that assuming what is documented in official scientific records to be valid and true, may not be worth the paper it is printed on. To exemplify the importance of mentioning this subject is, e.g. eight or more different species of clearwing moths were captured in Louisiana using Synanthedon scitula 'dogwood borer' lures'. Synanthedon exitiosa 'greater peachtree borer' has been captured using over 10 different clearwing moth semiochemical lures in Louisiana. Certain other described species of Louisiana clearwing moths e.g. Paranthrene simulans (Grote) 'oak borer' have been captured using semiochemical lures of more than twenty-four different clearwing moth (species) identities.

Yes, I captured Synanthedon pictipes, but it is not abundant here in the southern US; the Type locality is in Pennsylvania. What you need to know is that I have used lures from many sources (manufactures) e.g. Brand names: Alpha Scents, Pherobase, Pherobio, Suttera, Scentry, Scenturian, Trece, custom ordered ones, and others from private researchers, fellow collectors, and from several countries e.g. Austria, Holland, Japan, ...... Lures of the same species identity are produced by many different manufacturers. As I explained earlier all of these things are variable to some degree and the responses to these lures are also variable. A particular lure may have a contaminate e.g. as little as < 0.01% and consequently that lure will not attract specimens, but as a consequence actually will repel the target species.

Yes I sold John Holoyda many spread Louisiana sesiids before he died in 2001. Just checked my pc files for 1999, 2000 and 2001, he purchased 2,068 spread adult Louisiana clearwing moths from me those 3 years. John also sent me various clearwing moth lures as he had gotten his hands on some bulk chemicals back then.
Vernon
Attachments
2011 Black Synanthedon species 200 dpi.jpg
2011 Black Synanthedon species 200 dpi.jpg (741.48 KiB) Viewed 960 times
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

Chuck,
Regarding the squash vine borer lure, I have used many hundreds of these lures with this species name from several manufacturers for several decades. Off hand I have captured at least three species of clearwing moths with this lure:Paranthrene simulans, Podosesia syringae, and Vitacea polistiformis, but I have never ever captured a single squash vine borer moth using this lure. But, I have collected the moths by hand net flying around squash plants and in my MV light traps.

Of the 400,000 or so of Louisiana clearwing moths we have captured over the past 53 years, over 100,000 of them were taken in our high-wattage MV light traps. Though 98% are a single species Synanthedon acerni (larvae bore into red maple).

If you use semiochemicals of any kind, you must never touch or handle the lures with your fingers. Everything you do with them should be handled using (e.g.) tweezers and wash tweezers with common 70% isopropyl alcohol between handling lures of different descriptions. What I'm trying to convey is that everything the lure touches or comes in contact with will leave the chemical attractant there. If you touch the lure with your fingers then handle the trap, you fingers will leave the chemical everywhere your fingers subsequently touch, and the moths will be attracted there instead of entering your trap. Here is a female Melittia cucurbitae (Harris) 'squash vine borer' captured in one of my light traps.

Vernon
Attachments
2011-11-23_19-24-50_-_DSCF0009-removebg-preview.png
2011-11-23_19-24-50_-_DSCF0009-removebg-preview.png (227.2 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Spectacular image, Vernon.

I've tried squash and pumpkin in the back yard, darned deer eat it all up. There's squash growing in local farms, but I've never seen this species while tromping around.
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

John, earlier in this thread I stated "I have have often used two dozen or more lures in a single trap numerous times" I do not mean to infer two dozen lures in a single trap of different identities. Still I don't recommend combining more than two lures of different identities. But, I have taken lures used an entire season or two and removed them from some of the traps, using those 10-20 lures of say the same one identity placed into one or two newly placed traps. Any loss in the potency of the semiochemical is improved by combining what remains in the used lures into another trap for another season or two. We operate our semiochemical lure traps continuously Jan 1 to Dec 31 every year, only refurbishing any trap problems and replacing lures and cyanide every year or so. NaCn is hygroscopic, and here the humidity remains always very high year-round. Because of this the NaCn becomes watery after months of exposure while in the traps. Often every (6-12 months) I have to clean out the watery NaCn and recharge some traps with dry NaCn.

Attached are jpgs of 3 pages from an old manuscript I abandoned a decade or two ago. But it has some information illustrating how to self- fabricate a lure trap that actually works using discarded 2-liter plastic containers as a funnel, and some do's and don'ts involved that the reader may find helpful.

And by the way, do not waste money on reagent grade (laboratory) NaCn. I buy much cheaper industrial grade cyanide in bulk quantities. This chemical, as with all chemicals in the US has become harder to obtain because of all the restrictive communistic ever increasing government and ever increasing laws passed which has evolved in recent decades by our democrat corrupt government. This is not political commentary,it is in fact the present situation in much of the entire world. Entomologist I know in many countries of the world e.g. Soviet Union cannot obtain cyanides and similar chemicals e.g. zyclon-b (used by the Nazis at Auschwitz) for their entomological research and field use.
Vernon
Attachments
paage m  fig 9_Page_1.jpg
paage m fig 9_Page_1.jpg (396.07 KiB) Viewed 946 times
paage m  fig 9_Page_2.jpg
paage m fig 9_Page_2.jpg (439.4 KiB) Viewed 946 times
paage m  fig 9_Page_3.jpg
paage m fig 9_Page_3.jpg (277.49 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Last edited by vabrou on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Vernon,

Thanks for the further information, especially details of your trap design. Should be useful to a lot of people. My old traps (from Holoyda) are Multi-phers, but they still hold together pretty well.

I agree that pheromone samples will remain active for at least a couple of years. But here in the mountains where Sesiids do not fly in the cold months I have always stored my unused lures in a freezer - that should reduce volatilization and extend lifetime.
evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by evra »

I’m not quite as scientific about my Sesiid collecting as Vernon, but I’ve noticed a lot of similar things. For example, the squash vine borer lure from Great Lakes IPM was highly effective at attracting Melittia gloriosa, grandis and snowii, but the same lure from AlphaScents was not. I’ve gotten others to this lure as well, like Euhagena emphytiformis and Zenodoxus rudens.

Lures can last for more than a year even if not frozen. One time I was in the Peloncillo Mtns. driving on a dirt road with the windows rolled down on the way to collect Automeris randa and was thinking to myself “why are all these little wasps flying into my vehicle?” and then I remembered that I had a Sesiid trap in the back with lures from the previous year. I got about 30 Carmenta querci in 10 minutes once I pulled over.

It’s kind of amazing how common they can be considering you very rarely see them without a pheromone. Sometimes I’ll put out a trap and come back in a day or two and there are 200 specimens in it. But you wouldn’t even see one if you spent all day hiking around that same spot.