Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Fountainea nobilis

Post by daveuk »

Pair from Oaxaca Mexico( subspecies rayoensis)
Female recto & verso from Costa Rica( subspecies peralta)
Attachments
Screenshot_20221218-115757_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221218-115757_Gallery.jpg (573.74 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Screenshot_20221218-120219_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221218-120219_Gallery.jpg (248.1 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Screenshot_20221218-115817_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221218-115817_Gallery.jpg (358.4 KiB) Viewed 898 times
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Fountainea nobilis

Post by livingplanet3 »

daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:11 pm Pair from Oaxaca Mexico( subspecies rayoensis)
Female recto & verso from Costa Rica( subspecies peralta)...
I have a single male specimen of this species. Unfortunately, both of the hindwing tails are broken off. I have the tails however, so hopefully I can find some way to reattach them in a way that looks acceptable.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:20 pm
daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:11 pm
I have a single male specimen of this species. Unfortunately, both of the hindwing tails are broken off. I have the tails however, so hopefully I can find some way to reattach them in a way that looks acceptable.
Good luck with the repair. Annoying when that happens.
I was disappointed with the stain in my Mexican female's right hind wing but suppose I should be grateful to have a female.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:40 pm Good luck with the repair. Annoying when that happens.
I was disappointed with the stain in my Mexican female's right hind wing but suppose I should be grateful to have a female.
If anyone can recommend the best type of glue for making wing repairs, that would be much appreciated. In any case, I'm sure it will only require a very tiny amount to reattach the tails on my F. nobilis specimen.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I don't know, I did buy a couple vials of insect repair adhesive before Bioquip shut down, of course, the hope is to never need to use them.
I have glued some antennae and a marcellus tail, seemed to work, I have a misaligned Graellsia antennea tip that pokes me in the side every time I look at the case, at least it's all there.
A gel type super glue would be a good bet, something that dries quickly, as long as you get it right before it's too late.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

kevinkk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 am A gel type super glue would be a good bet, something that dries quickly, as long as you get it right before it's too late.
I use a tiny amount of 'superglue' (cyanoacrylate) to attach broken tails and antennae, but as Kevin says, you have to get it right very quickly.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

adamcotton wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:03 am
kevinkk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 am A gel type super glue would be a good bet, something that dries quickly, as long as you get it right before it's too late.
I use a tiny amount of 'superglue' (cyanoacrylate) to attach broken tails and antennae, but as Kevin says, you have to get it right very quickly.

Adam.
Quickly. And you get one attempt.

I use Elmer's glue which takes much longer to set up and gives time to position the tail. However, one has to support the tail sometimes, for which I use crossed pins. After placing the tail, I position the specimen at about a 45 degree angle, tails down, to take some of the gravity off.

Since I'm generally less concerned about the reverse side, I sometimes use a small dart of paper (same paper as for specimen labels) to support the tail. I first glue the wider part of the dart onto the reverse of the wing and let it dry. Then I put a tiny bit of glue on the upper side of the dart and position the tail. This provides a very easy, adjustable means to get the tail just right, and support it. Of course, if one flips over the specimen the paper dart is visible.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Chuck wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:54 pm Quickly. And you get one attempt.
Actually you can dissolve the glue with acetone if it is a really poor job and try again.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

adamcotton wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:34 pm
Chuck wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:54 pm Quickly. And you get one attempt.
Actually you can dissolve the glue with acetone if it is a really poor job and try again.

Adam.
Well no kidding. I didn't know that, wish I had! Makes for faster separation of fingers. I wonder if I can re-fix the wife's Christmas star that isn't quite straight.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

To support tails I use brush hair along the vain, it is almost invisible and strong enough. White glue ( dries on clear ) is also used.
If larger surface need to be attached I use underside a clear gift wrap paper so is visible but see thru.
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by mothman55 »

Have always used Bioquip adhesive for antennae and tails, but when it's gone I will go to white glue I expect. Even with Bioquip glue, it dries dark and shiny if you are just trying to mend a crack or slit. There must be a glue that is invisible when dry, I just haven't found it yet.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I use Chuck's method of repairing tails. I glue a small piece of paper (lightweight but stiff) onto the underside of the hindwing. Usually I color it with a marker before gluing to reduce the visibility of the repair. I have used both white glue (Elmer's) and plastic model airplane glue with success. Elmer's tends to warp the tail while drying. Both types of glue dry slowly enough to allow adjustments before getting too dry. I never knew Bioquip had its own adhesive.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

there is a solvent made specifically for removing super glue, - Golden West Super Solvent for cyanoacrylate glues. It works.
You can by a 2 oz. bottle at ...amazon... or contact SuperSolvent@gmail.com, 10 bucks if I remember correctly. It's worth it if your fingers are
glued like a flipper.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Thanks to all for the advice on wing repair and glues; I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.