Buprestis rufipes

Post your pictures of butterfly or insect art you have created or seen. Let's discuss the techniques.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Buprestis rufipes

Post by 58chevy »

This is one of my favorite N. American buprestids. They are widespread in range and not considered rare, but are seldom encountered. I don't know of anybody who knows a reliable method of capturing them. If you are aware of a good method, please respond here. They range in size from about 20mm to 35 mm.
Attachments
Buprestis rufipes-small.jpg
Buprestis rufipes-small.jpg (477.9 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Buprestis rufipes

Post by livingplanet3 »

58chevy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:28 pm This is one of my favorite N. American buprestids. They are widespread in range and not considered rare, but are seldom encountered. I don't know of anybody who knows a reliable method of capturing them. If you are aware of a good method, please respond here. They range in size from about 20mm to 35 mm...
Very nice! I saw a mass emergence of this species from a standing dead cottonwood tree in 1985. Since then, I have only come across it incidentally. Certainly, one of the most impressive buprestids found in the US.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Coincidentally, I know of another person who encountered a mass emergence of these from a dead tree. Not sure if it was a cottonwood or something else. He put about 50 of them in a jar and they tore each other to pieces.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

58chevy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:35 pm Coincidentally, I know of another person who encountered a mass emergence of these from a dead tree. Not sure if it was a cottonwood or something else. He put about 50 of them in a jar and they tore each other to pieces.
That's really unfortunate about them damaging each other; buprestid mandibles may be small, but they're likely strong enough to clip the thin, delicate legs and antennae typical of this family of beetles.