How do you find people to trade insect specimens with?

General discussion on entomology
AZ-MOTH-er
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: How do you find people to trade insect specimens with?

Post by AZ-MOTH-er »

Yes, I long for those days when exchanging insects was the typical situation and people didn't do all that buying and selling. How icky. It's like the good ole days when people actually grew their own food and bartered for items they didn't have. No one asked for money for one's daily bread. Times were simpler then. But then I guess some people realized there was money to be made selling food 🥺
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

You just need to post a want ad. Trading is the original form of capitalism, the issue is that one needs a trading partner, and it is simpler
to accept money, which can be saved for use at the right time. One of my first experiences with breeding livestock, I posted an ad for trade.
I got a response, while things turned out satisfactory, I have never posted another ad for trade. There may be people who can make a living
selling insects, but I don't know any. I know I never will, when I sell, it's to move animals and spread things around for other people, any
money I take in is insignificant to the amount of time and work it takes to raise anything. You may very well find a reliable person to trade
with.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I trade for specimens I need for my research projects. However, this is typically not value-for-value, but one of us sends a package, and one is sent back at some time. Or, perhaps, a return package does not come. No concern.

From perspectives of quantity, quality, and monetary value, my exchanges have been heavily weighted in my favor at times, and in the other party's at times.

The way I see it, it's not an exchange, it's assistance, a gift. If there is reciprocity, then fine; if not, also fine.

I do however, expect the recipient to acknowledge receipt. This can stick in my memory a long time- I sent a very rare specimen to a researcher at a top institution, and have no idea to this day if it was received, or if the recipient cared. That's almost 20 years ago, and it still annoys me.
Rumina
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Rumina »

Hi Miguel, What have you got that you want to exchange? Rumina