Travel in Saudi Arabia

General discussion on entomology
africaone
Reactions:
Belgium

Travel in Saudi Arabia

Post by africaone »

Does anyone have info for going In Saudi Arabia espacially about the possibility to hunt there, permits, how to go in choosen localities and agnecies to travel, etc.
thanks, Thierry
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Re: Travel in Saudi Arabia

Post by Cassidinae »

In Saudi Arabia, they don't pay attention with catching and exporting insects. As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention :)
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention
I don't understand this, did you actually mean 'NOT worthy of attention'?

Adam.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm In Saudi Arabia, they don't pay attention with catching and exporting insects. As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention :)
I wish that would be the case in Indonesia.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Paul K wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm In Saudi Arabia, they don't pay attention with catching and exporting insects. As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention :)

And Malaysia. And how about Turkey, that's a great Muslim country to break their collecting laws.

I cannot answer concerning Saudi, but I'd do some research before assuming it's no problem to collect. Further, plan to have a guide or the government watchdogs will want to know what you're doing. Be careful in Saudi, it's VERY WELL known that American businessmen commonly, and unsuspectingly, break laws there and get arrested.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Chuck wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:29 pm
Paul K wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm

And Malaysia. And how about Turkey, that's a great Muslim country to break their collecting laws.

I cannot answer concerning Saudi, but I'd do some research before assuming it's no problem to collect. Further, plan to have a guide or the government watchdogs will want to know what you're doing. Be careful in Saudi, it's VERY WELL known that American businessmen commonly, and unsuspectingly, break laws there and get arrested.
I probably shouldn't... I'm left handed and would be at a disadvantage on day 1. Watching dinosaur dig video might be a good start, you need
a lot of stuff, and a hat that says "do not kidnap no $"
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Post by Cassidinae »

adamcotton wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:03 am
I don't understand this, did you actually mean 'NOT worthy of attention'?

Adam.
Sorry for my english. I meant something like: "they don't care about catching insects" (= they consider it to be a strange pastime at most).
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Post by Cassidinae »

Yes, of course, catching insects it is a problem in SOME Muslim countries (typically: Egypt, Turkey, Indonesia, in recent years Malaysia). The reason is most often national pride or the opportunity to get some extra money. Certainly not because of nature conservation :) The only Muslim country (as far as I know) that doesn't mind because of nature conservation is probably Malaysia and perhaps Brunei.
radusho
Reactions:
Slovakia

Post by radusho »

Last year there was an expedition to Saudi Arabia and they succesfully brought Hipparchia tewfiki and Lasiommata felix among others
AZ-MOTH-er
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by AZ-MOTH-er »

وإن كانت الحشرة ضعيفة فإن الله يكلمك بها

"Feeble though the insect be, Allah speaks from them to thee"