General discussion on entomology
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Breeder stories....

Post by Trehopr1 »

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where breeders could regale us with stories of success, abysmal failures, food sources which were never expected to work, or any other related findings.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Breeder stories....

Post by Trehopr1 »

I recall finding a book in my local library in the early 1970s which was done by a breeder named Paul Villiard. It is titled Moths and how to rear them.

In his book, he related stories and showed black and white pictures of at least 20+ species of moths which he had reared. I believe the book was initially published in the late sixties.

He also showed how to prepare lepidoptera for your collection. A wonderful and quite informative book. A first of a kind at the time.

Of course, I eventually got myself a copy !
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I have a copy of Villiard's book, I was probably the only person who would check it out of the public library. Somehow a friend found a copy for me
and gave it as a gift. At the time Villiard wrote that book- Argema mittrei was a mystery, now...
I raise something nearly every season. I've mentioned some of this season's experiences in other threads. I bring home captured female Saturniidae,
or buy ova. Sometimes I'll buy diapaused stock for breeding, but it is more expensive and not 100% reliable.
I have an antique breeder's book- 'A Silkmoth Rearer's Handbook" published in 1956 in London. Names do change- but not technique, sure, some things get refined, and we have access to new equipment and materials.
This season I did have a higher than normal mortality rate for my Hyalophora euryalus, and it wasn't the black fluid mystery death, something else
took out 10 larva in various stages. We had a very wet spring, which caused one cherry tree to get some disease caused by too much water, I don't
recall the name, but it made the leaves spotty and yellowish, luckily, another cherry was unaffected. I've got the namesake food plant,
ceanothus, but it is hard to put a sleeve on that stuff without a good reason.
In case anyone missed it, never feed Rhodinia verecunda Lilac, Syringa vulgaris, if I spelled that correctly. It'll take forever for them to grow, we have yet to see an adult moth, so it could be worse than I think.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

The only butterfly species I ever raised through an entire cycle was our ubiquitous Monarch. When I was 9 or 10 years old I read that the monarch fed on milkweed. I learned to recognize the plant and before you knew it I was looking for monarch eggs and finally discovered one on a leaf one day.

I kept diligently at the upkeep and before you knew it an entire cycle went by and I had a butterfly emerge one morning. It was very exciting to see it emerge from the chrysalid and unfurl its wings.

However, I decided after that (more or less) that it took an awful lot of work and diligence (then I cared for); and thus found catching butterflies was much more fun.

Eventually, I came across some 2nd instar Polyphemus caterpillars on wild Willow and made a second attempt at raising them through but, they were even harder to keep up with (food-wise) and then definitely decided swinging the net was my best path forward.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I too have Villard's book. I offered it up for sale along with a bunch of other antique books as part of a package, and nobody wanted them.

On to the story.

I had about 200 4th instar luna in a 30 gallon aquarium in my bedroom. So long as they have food they'll stay there, so it wasn't covered. I was out late with some friends, got home about 2am and laid my head on my pillow. I felt something cold and wet. Got up, turned on the light, and there are luna cats all over the room- and no leaves in the aquarium. It took 45 minutes to find them all, then I had to get back in the car and go out to grab more Walnut; got to sleep about 4am.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

200 larva must have made an alien looking cocoon.
I raised a batch of luna indoors in an open room as well, a little different, I hadn't raised anything in years ,and forgot how much they eat, I went
to the nursery and bought live sweetgum. At the end, they went through two 5 gallon trees every day, most of them spun up in the trees themselves,
but when I moved, there were a few that I found under shelves. Before they spun up, I had a tarp spread out under the trees, and each morning
I'd wake up to the sound of caterpillar droppings hitting the tarp like rain. No one ever asked why I kept bringing trees into my apartment.
nomihoudai
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by nomihoudai »

The most rewarding breeding I had was of Philotes sonorensis from self collected eggs. I had the chance that my job at the time would bring me to the LA area during February/March. It was a bit difficult sourcing the host plant in Europe. Dudleya species. Each caterpillar would eat a small plant on their own going from first to last instar. I didn't get a pairing the year after and couldn't continue.

Other than that I also had 200 caterpillars of Saturnia pavonia at the same time. In their final days, I had to get a wheelbarrow of hazelnut every day for them.

The breeding that took the worst turn was of a species of Spilosoma. I didn't know that they empty their guts before pupating. I had about a hundred of them in a small plastic container. There was only so much liquid it could hold before the caterpillars started to drown...

Finally, I also had a breeding of Aglia tau of self collected eggs. The female came to my light trap, that was the second or third time ever in my life that I had put out a light trap. I was stunned when I saw it sitting next to the trap the next morning. The caterpillars look really great. I had a pairing and a new generation, but those caterpillars died when transported in a car and the sun hit the plastic cup they were in.
Lepidoptera distribution maps: lepimap.click