Need Help Identifying This Beetle

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
Lethe
Reactions:
United States of America

Need Help Identifying This Beetle

Post by Lethe »

Hi,

I moved in to my a new house construction and it has been about a year. All of a sudden I have been finding these small brownish beetles under my sink in the bathroom, and they are about 3-4mm long. They just suddenly started showing up around mid September, and I live in Southwest of the USA. I haven't seen them in the kitchen or anywhere else in the house. I appreciate anyone's input, and thank you.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Need Help Identifying This Beetle

Post by livingplanet3 »

Lethe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:25 pm Hi,

I moved in to my a new house construction and it has been about a year. All of a sudden I have been finding these small brownish beetles under my sink in the bathroom, and they are about 3-4mm long. They just suddenly started showing up around mid September, and I live in Southwest of the USA. I haven't seen them in the kitchen or anywhere else in the house. I appreciate anyone's input, and thank you.
It's Tribolium confusum (Confused Flour Beetle), or a very similar, related species -

https://bugguide.net/node/view/579086

Very common and found worldwide, and can be a nuisance if they become numerous. They feed on dried, stored food products such as flour and cereal.