A different way of mounting

General discussion on entomology
Bub
Reactions:
United States of America

A different way of mounting

Post by Bub »

Instead of sticking them on a pin, I've been experimenting with gluing them to a small square of poster board. This way I can hand them to someone for close examination. Here is a paper wasp.

And here is a large fly. I don't know what kind it is but it's big.

I use a touch of white glue at each leg.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: A different way of mounting

Post by kevinkk »

nice job with the legs, and an interesting idea. I've used glue for specimens in shadow boxes before. Don't use hot glue though, it can soften in
the heat and your bugs turn sideways.
Bub
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Bub »

A crane fly was a challenge. I ended up losing one of its legs.

Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

A "curious" take on insect preparation.

If you should decide to make any number of these I do hope you put them into a tight-lidded container of some sort to prevent insect pests from getting at them and from dust settling on them.

Perhaps, a pin is still necessary (at least placed in the cardboard) to prevent movement within any container that you store them in.
KKarns
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by KKarns »

For beetles, European workers have "carded" specimens for decades using various recipes of "gum" to glue the beetles to bristle board or card stock. This method never caught on in the US, and has inherent issues with visualizing ventral characters for determination.
Bub
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Bub »

Trehopr1 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:43 pm A "curious" take on insect preparation.

If you should decide to make any number of these I do hope you put them into a tight-lidded container of some sort to prevent insect pests from getting at them and from dust settling on them.

Perhaps, a pin is still necessary (at least placed in the cardboard) to prevent movement within any container that you store them in.
I keep them and some other trinkets in this plastic box with dividers. It keeps the dust off. I just do it for fun, and I enjoy handing a magnifying glass and one of these to someone and letting them have a close look. I'm 83. Long term storage is not one of my concerns. The white glue holds pretty well and it dries clear. Thanks for the comment.

Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Indeed, KKarns is absolutely correct.

Speaking for myself, I revel in meticulous preparation
but, I have always found the insect pin suffices (the best)
as the standard medium to observe specimens from all
angles.

Bub
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Bub »

I see what you're saying. But, you guys are serious collectors of some pretty special specimens. I'm just an old guy farting around with common bugs. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do what I've done. To me, they look more life like standing on their own legs. A pin sticking through them kind of spoils that illusion.

I know that there are standard methods, right down to how far the pin should protrude. That's not my idea of fun. I'm not trying to create a museum piece. Now I think I'll go paste some crickets on a cigar box.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I think it’s fine for what you’re using it for. They look realistic.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

Bub wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:29 pm I see what you're saying. But, you guys are serious collectors of some pretty special specimens. I'm just an old guy farting around with common bugs. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do what I've done. To me, they look more life like standing on their own legs. A pin sticking through them kind of spoils that illusion.

I know that there are standard methods, right down to how far the pin should protrude. That's not my idea of fun. I'm not trying to create a museum piece. Now I think I'll go paste some crickets on a cigar box.
I find it interesting that the individual who is trying to dissuade you from pursuing the hobby in a way that interests you and brings you joy, has also recently authored a thread lamenting that fewer and fewer people are interested in collecting insects and another thread complaining that too small a percentage of registered forum members are interacting.

Thanks for sharing this method of preparing and presenting specimens. I can see how you could use such a presentation to attract the attention and interest of people who might not otherwise share our fascination for bugs. I had a visit yesterday from a friend who brought his 10yr old with him. It would have been great to have something prepped to hand the boy so that he could look at it closely and from different angles (even, dare I say, touch it!). Instead he had to be content with looking at specimens pinned behind a pane of glass.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Not all of us are that serious. My data would induce fainting. There is a difference between doing a good job, and caring what other people think
or do. That's why there are people who dress funny...
My methods have improved, nevertheless, I see impressive things posted here, but replicating them? No, not my worry.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Enjoy this hobby at whatever level brings you the most joy ! It was never my intention to dissuade you in any manner.

I commented that I too like meticulous/tedious preparation (showing pic's of some examples) but, only indicating that an insect pin works well as the given standard.

Others, apparently "read-into" comments and "spin" the intentions negatively.

Best wishes in your hobby endeavors.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

They're your bugs. Prepare them in any way you deem fit!
bethanyfarah
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bethanyfarah »

These are beautiful! I might try and replicate this so I can hand my neices some insects to look at and touch. They both love bugs but they're too little for me to hand them a pinned specimen (4yr and 2yr.) How did you get them to stand up so perfectly? Were they fully dry before you glued them down?
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Maybe this is a good time, and thread to ask- how would Bub's glued specimens stand up to the USPS? Let's assume it's not Ace Ventura carrying
the package. I am planning on making up some shadow boxes and want to put them into the mail.
bethanyfarah
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bethanyfarah »

My husband bought me this shadow box a few years ago and it came in the mail. Just in bubble wrap and a box of I remember correctly. Some of their feets have fallen off but otherwise they came safe and sound. I would highly recommend you buy insurance on the package if it's something particularly valuable; I worked at the post office a bit and while they do try to handle packages with care, a lot can go wrong with the machines they use
IMG_20220927_195958342.jpg
IMG_20220927_195958342.jpg (764.03 KiB) Viewed 831 times