General discussion on entomology
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: The silence....

Post by kevinkk »

Glow in the dark caterpillars! I've got a couple UV flashlights, some of them are a little pricey. They work really well on my old monster models.
Pictures- I use a Nikon coolpix and have to resize everything, even my antique digital camera still takes pictures that are too big.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

eurytides wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:53 pm No matter how I try to resize a photo with my iphone, the actual size of the file remained the same. So I now email myself the photo and then it gives you the option of sending a small, medium, or large version of the file. I then save the image from my email and upload that. On the screen of my phone, I don’t notice any difference in resolution between the different file sizes, but I’m sure there would be a difference if you tried to magnify the image to the highest possible degree.
🤣🤣 I am doing exact same thing!
But it works
chrisw
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by chrisw »

I find that I am way too busy in the summer to post much. I have acquired a lot of new specimens this year, both field collected and purchased that I will post later this winter during my down time from work. I enjoy all the posts whether it be the eye candy purchased specimens or what someone did on a collecting trip.
bethanyfarah
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by bethanyfarah »

Trehopr1 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:19 am
NEVER FEEL as though you have little to contribute. A picture of something that you have seen, a question as to (why), or even a discovery new to you is always worthy of a mention and is bound to get a reply.

It really is all good and I feel enriches the very broad spectrum that entomology encompasses.
Thank you I needed to hear this. I'm personally at a very frustrating point in my entomology path where the layman thinks I know a lot about insects (because compared to them I genuinely do) but any serious entomologists would know within 5min of chatting with me that I'm barely beginning to understanding an enormous, complicated, and varied field. I'm scared to make mistakes and feel I have very little to contribute because I'm so new to the field. This helps put me at ease and it's greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to try and be a more active member in here in the future! (It's honestly a far better use of my phone time than watching mindless videos of people dancing on the social media)
WingedWishes
Reactions:
Belize

Post by WingedWishes »

I am dictating this through my phone so please forgive any errors. I apologize because I have been extremely busy with a couple of things this summer. The first is the massive amount of luck I had in my most recent trip to Belize. I was fortunate enough to collect most of the things on my desired list while I was there. The second is my small business of framing butterflies and selling them exploded! Fortunately for me, my business more than doubled since last year. I know my customers enjoy speaking with me but I attribute that to the third big thing from the summer. The third thing is that my oldest daughter left a bad relationship and moved back to be near me. Because she is running the Instagram part of my business things are doing very well. Once November arrives, I will have the time to begin a thread with the last adventure we had in Belize. We were so fortunate to be able to record GPS coordinates along with time of day for each specimen we collected. One last thing indicates to me that our hobby is alive. I have been asked to go and teach about entomology in schools much more often this year than any other year.

Cheers

Tyson
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I think it's videos of mindless people...
For sure, our friends and relatives think we know everything about insects. Everyone started at the bottom, and as different people, we put
different amounts of time into the hobby, Everyone has something to contribute, never think your experiences or opinions are too trivial to
share. I've learned a lot in the last few years, some things I have incorporated into my approach, be satisfied with what you do, and you'll be fine.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

bethanyfarah wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:15 am ...but any serious entomologists would know within 5min of chatting with me that I'm barely beginning to understanding an enormous, complicated, and varied field. I'm scared to make mistakes and feel I have very little to contribute because I'm so new to the field. ...
I've been doing this for over 50 years and know many who would know within five minutes that I am barely beginning to understand. In fact, I'd argue all professional entomologists are in the same boat. They may be experts in one niche of entomology, but there are other niches for which they know nothing.

It's my experience that even the top experts in any given entomological field will respond to an email. Try that with your local politician. Throughout my adult life I've reached out to many professionals, and my email list looks like a Who's Who of VIPs. But every one of them I've contacted has engaged.

As far as contribution, just do it. It may not appeal to focused experts, but may well appeal to the next new person. Harboring information without sharing is useless. I know a top collector of antiquities who refuses to share incredible knowledge because it might facilitate fraud; true enough, but on the other hand both his collection and his brain are useless; nothing contributed, nothing gained.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

kevinkk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:39 am I think it's videos of mindless people...
... Everyone started at the bottom, ... never think your experiences or opinions are too trivial to
share. .
LOL. I'm starting at the bottom, again.

I thought I was pretty smart when I pre-wrote my research paper in spring, and used it with only slight modification as my permit application. I figured that after the summer's field work, I'd just fill in the blanks and voila, I'd be done. But the summer's field work torpedoed my paper: wrong, wrong, wrong. I realized last night I have to scrap most of it. Back to the beginning/ bottom again.