getting rid of angry wasps in unused car door?

General discussion on entomology
Jon
Reactions:
United States of America

getting rid of angry wasps in unused car door?

Post by Jon »

I have an unused car at my residence that I keep around for parts for another car. Yesterday, when I went to open the rear driver's side car door, at least a dozen wasps came out from within the area between the door and frame. I got away just in time to avoid stings, but then had to wait until dark to return and close the door. My question is how to get rid of them? Problems I face is not knowing for sure their origin (where exactly within the car frame?) and how to proceed with extermination. I could simply wait until colder weather (I assume) as I don't think they'd be around once hard frosts arrive.

Thanks.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: getting rid of angry wasps in unused car door?

Post by kevinkk »

I'd probably wait for the cold weather, it might depend where you live, and how soon you need an extra car part.
One time years ago, I had to revisit a location to retrieve a pair of sunglasses after running away from a wasp nest-
those things will follow you a long ways, but winter solved the risk, and the glasses were just where they flew off..
Otherwise, you'll need to wait for dark and spray the suspect area, you might also try trapping the wasps, but cold
weather doesn't cost any money.
Jon
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: getting rid of angry wasps in unused car door?

Post by Jon »

All taken care of. I carefully watched exactly where they were entering the area between the doors, then quickly sprayed into the area with insecticide and backed away. Almost immediately, wasps began exiting and most were groggy and some falling to the ground almost instantly. After an hour, I decided to risk opening both doors. When I opened the driver's side front door, the roughly 6x4" nest fell to the ground with no wasps remaining. I simply torched it. The insecticide is what I sometimes use to spray around the outside of my residence and only needs applied every other month, so the coating within the doors should remain until colder weather. All good.