Exploring Hemileuca eglanterina Country

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Exploring Hemileuca eglanterina Country

Post by neominois »

Hello Everyone!

I have posted some videos in the past on the Insect Collectors forum but thought I'd post now here as well.

My video shows a trip my daughter and I took up on the Uncompahgre Plateau in Mesa County Colorado. Our find of the day was Hemileuca eglanterina, just eclosing up on top! I hope you enjoy our adventures!

https://youtu.be/7EmywqfCLZY
MikeH
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Exploring Hemileuca eglanterina Country

Post by MikeH »

The blue at 6:50 seems more likely to be Icaricia icarioides.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Great video & editing... filmed mostly by your daughter I see. Love to see Hemileuca in real life... sadly nowhere close to Saskatchewan. Right place & right time indeed to find such freshly eclosed individuals! I thought others have described them as very hard to catch on the wing. Love to see more of your entomological/habitat field trips.

John K.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

John, just click on his youtube channel and you will be able to access all his videos!
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by neominois »

Thanks John!

I appreciate the kind words! My daughter and I just enjoy recording as we explore. The sheep moths were quite a surprise. Usually they are hard to catch. They fly quickly. I brought home 5 specimens that were so fresh I collected with my hands.

Eurytides is correct, they are all on my YouTube Channel (Along with many Anatomy Videos you want to ignore).
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Great video, and timely! I was on exhausting travel with interrupted internet access, only my phone, and with only 10 minutes of down time before sleep, and watched it twice.

The editing is amazingly professional- very impressive!

I was surprised at the large size of eglanterina. Our local Hemileuca maia menyanthevora (Pavulaan, 2020) is much smaller, and almost extinct.

My gosh your daughter is getting older. It's great she accompanies you; my daughter will go with me if I stick to easy terrain like you show, but unfortunately most of my field work is in horrible thorns, thistles, and nettles. So fortunate you are!
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I'd like to visit the area in your video. My son lives in CO Springs. How far is it from there?
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by neominois »

58chevy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 pm I'd like to visit the area in your video. My son lives in CO Springs. How far is it from there?
I live about 250 miles west of Denver. We are only about 30-40 from Utah. Several of my YouTube videos are from this area.
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by neominois »

Chuck wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:53 am Great video, and timely! I was on exhausting travel with interrupted internet access, only my phone, and with only 10 minutes of down time before sleep, and watched it twice.

The editing is amazingly professional- very impressive!

I was surprised at the large size of eglanterina. Our local Hemileuca maia menyanthevora (Pavulaan, 2020) is much smaller, and almost extinct.

My gosh your daughter is getting older. It's great she accompanies you; my daughter will go with me if I stick to easy terrain like you show, but unfortunately most of my field work is in horrible thorns, thistles, and nettles. So fortunate you are!
Thank you so much for the message. Glad I could help kill some time for you! Our eglanterina is a good size. Most individuals I've collected from this area are at 4-5 cm wingspan. I'd love to have a couple maia, sad to hear they are so rare.

My daughter is interested in nature photography, so she loves to help out with my little butterfly videos! I try and avoid those thistles and thorns also, but we love the high altitude hikes. I'll post a video soon of us going up one of Colorado's 14,000 ft peaks. I have an entire butterfly video from there to edit and post! Stay tuned...

Matt