Poof posts MIA on new forum?

Report your InsectNet technical issues here or ask a technical question.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Poof posts MIA on new forum?

Post by Chuck »

I've had two posts recently disappear with no notice or warning.

The first was last week on one of the scum thieves.

This morning I replied to the post on cresphontes/ rumiko viewtopic.php?p=1698#p1698

This was before Adam replied. I saw my post posted, so it's not like I forgot to hit submit. Now the post is gone. Oddly, using "recent posts" it shows a banner above Adam's post with a thought bubble and "replies: 2" yet there is only Adam's reply. Perhaps "replies: 2" includes the original post? Or somehow it counted my post which is now gone? I don't know.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Poof posts MIA on new forum?

Post by adamcotton »

That is strange. I never saw a reply from you to the post about rumiko and I cannot see any banner with "replies: 2" either.

Another moderator deleted your post last week about the "scum thieves" as it was inappropriate, even if the thief deserved it. It seems that no message appeared about the deleted post, which is strange. He informed us that the post had been deleted for inappropriate language. I will ask the moderators why there was no statement left on the thread that the post had been deleted.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Adam.

Cresphontes: From forum home, click "quick links" at the top left; select "recent posts" then scroll down to your reply to the cresphontes post. Don't click on it yet though; note on the top of your reply is says "replies:2 Views: 48" (clearly, both could change). But there is currently reported to be two replies, yet there is only your reply. I don't know what this means. Nor do I know where mine went.

Theives: well, I was hoping moderation improved with the new forum, thus returned and invested significant time into the CITES review. Apparently I was mistaken. We'll call that strike one.

Thanks.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Chuck wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 pm Theives: well, I was hoping moderation improved with the new forum, thus returned and invested significant time into the CITES review. Apparently I was mistaken. We'll call that strike one.
I asked the other moderators why there was no explanation for the deleted post, and the moderator who deleted it said that he included an explanation, but for some unknown reason that is not publicly visible. We await an explanation from the admin, and hopefully future moderated posts will have such a comment included.

Adam.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

I think the moderator comments are visible to all when the post is "edited".
When the post is "deleted", only the poster should see the moderator explanation. (should be in your notifications, Chuck)

To moderators : when a post does not respect our rules, please "edit" it, don't delete it, so that all members understand that it has been moderated.

Chuck, your post has been seen as a physical threat, I can understand why it has been moderated.
I think we all agree that "Sounds like this punk needs a good ass kicking. Where does he live now ?" has nothing to do on Insectnet...
At least, it helps us test the moderation tools...

About your second "poof" post, no moderators/admin touch it, so I guess it is a bug or you preview your message without submitting it. No idea.
In the "Recent posts" section "replies:2" means "second post" so no post are missing. Compare with other topics.

Now let's talk about insects. The physical threat poof posts is not my passion...
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

wollastoni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 pm
When the post is "deleted", only the poster should see the moderator explanation. (should be in your notifications, Chuck)
Nope. No notification, no PM. Just poof. Perhaps settings, perhaps a missed manual step. Either way, don’t delete my posts. I’d invest significantly more data and observations (and sponsor $$) here if not for the deletions and inappropriate editing of my authored content. Lately it’s been going elsewhere, which is sad since I’ve been a member here for over 20 years.

As for the cresphontes post, I assure you it was submitted and subsequently appeared in the thread. I’d not expect a newly launched forum to operate perfectly, no matter how exercised the base software, so something to keep an eye on.