How to select lodging

Off-topic discussions. Be nice. No politics/religions/insults (as on the rest of the forum).
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

How to select lodging

Post by Chuck »

While touring the mountains of Virginia, we were searching for lodging for the night and found this one star review only two days old:

This is a rustic stay. And if you do not like rustic, go elsewhere.

The rooms have been updated and the beds are super-comfortable. The food is also very good, although there are a lot of fried items. However......

........there are stink bugs everywhere. When I got to my room, there were dead bugs and live bugs and I spent about 2 hours killing them all. There's a sign on the door that says they don't use pesticides and said to keep the room dark and cool so the bugs don't come out. It also said that at night we should keep a bathroom light on because the light attracts them and they'll stay in one place.

Well, I was there to write and relax. It was also cold out. When I thought I had a reprieve from the these annoying insects I opened the blinds and turned on the heat. Within one hour I had a bug crawling up my arm, 20 more on the window and a host of them on the ceiling fan. It's a hotel, not a tent, and seriously ........how can one function with all those bugs!? I was afraid to sleep.

I went to the office and they were very kind, offering to send housekeeping up to clean up the bugs that were dead and now all over the rug. I took them up on the offer and that helped, but only if the room was totally dark and there was no heat. I eventually realized I would lost it spending one extra night in this place and called my husband to come pick me up early. The owners were lovely, and didn't charge me for that night.

Naturally, that review cemented the decision. I figured a review like that would drive off the type of people I have no desire to associate with. And it proved to be correct. No bugs though.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Re: How to select lodging

Post by wollastoni »

Reminds me a night in Batutumonga (Sulawesi, Indonesia) with my wife in a small "chalet". Once we turned off the light to sleep, we felt something on us. When I put the light on again, about 20 huge cockroaches were crawling on us ! :)
I had to kill them all. But my wife didn't sleep at all, I spent a perfect night though and slept very well !