bigfoot in Oregon?

Off-topic discussions. Be nice. No politics/religions/insults (as on the rest of the forum).
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

bigfoot in Oregon?

Post by kevinkk »

]I just took an overnight trip to Jefferson county in Oregon, at Jack Creek Campground, nestled in the ponderosa trees. Near our campsite
was a suspected bigfoot lean to, made from tree limbs and ponderosa bark, the structure was purpose built, by whom or what, I cannot
say, but I was reminded of the thread detailing the descriptions of various bigfoot activity.
I did take a picture of the empty domicile, I'll see if I can resize it.. :roll:
DSCN1991.JPG
DSCN1991.JPG (163.09 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
OMG! I think I have figured out pictures
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Re: bigfoot in Oregon?

Post by bobw »

Where's Bluemoth when you need her?
jellybean
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jellybean »

Here are many more photos. https://www.google.com/search?q=forest+ ... 1583&hl=en
If this does not work, then just Google search for "forest branch huts" and select images
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Tree branch huts such as this, which are often built around a medium-sized tree for support, have been made for generations in teaching bushcraft to students / scouts. In such cases, only the basic framework is constructed, so that they can be easily disassembled and then put back together by the next group. They're basically meant to serve as emergency shelters - a shield against the elements in a survival situation. You can find them in forests across the country, as well as in the UK and Europe. Unless you've been involved in making them yourself, I suppose they would seem a somewhat strange thing to encounter out in the woods, especially when in their basic, uncompleted form.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Thanks for the explanations, what I'm most excited about are my new skills with photos and the forum. Another year or 2 and I'll cut my time in half:)
benihikage92
Reactions:
Japan

Post by benihikage92 »

A lumberjack I met at a campground near Bolan Lake in Josephine Co., Oregon in 1979 told me he had seen a bigfoot a few times in his life! :o

Kuni
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

benihikage92 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:57 am A lumberjack I met at a campground near Bolan Lake in Josephine Co., Oregon in 1979 told me he had seen a bigfoot a few times in his life! :o

Kuni
As interesting as stories can get, I dismiss the existence of Bigfoot, with the amount of time my parents have spent in the woods cutting firewood,
and hunting they've never seen a bigfoot, although one could argue that Bigfoot is shy of chainsaws, I find the whole thing implausible, it makes for good reality tv though. I've sure never seen a Bigfoot, and I've spent time in Humboldt county Ca, out in the woods...at night, hauling water,
guarding the veggies and swatting mosquitos.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

AFAIK, there haven't even been claims to have found Bigfoot (or Yeti, or Yowie, or Orang Pentang) shelters. That's clearly human. Note that it's no good in the cold; better to build a platform off the ground and be covered by snow than to hide from snow and sleep on the ground.

I'm not quick to dismiss the plausible existence of Bigfoot. Reports of giant humanoids goes back thousands of years and span the globe. People think they couldn't possibly hide, but LOL a couple years ago in mid-winter wife and I were deep in the woods sheltering under a pine tree, when a pair of XC skiers came right up to the tree and rested, not two meters away, talking about how remote they were and with no humans anywhere around.
WingedWishes
Reactions:
Belize

Post by WingedWishes »

Two weeks ago in Belize, I had just washed my long hair and had it down to dry. One of the village kids saw me in the rain forest and yelled to his mom ‘Look! A caveman!’
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I don't know how you do the long hair in the tropics. I'd overheat. As is, in summer I have to keep mine under ~7mm otherwise I can feel the heat accumulate on my head.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

WingedWishes wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 am Two weeks ago in Belize, I had just washed my long hair and had it down to dry. One of the village kids saw me in the rain forest and yelled to his mom ‘Look! A caveman!’
This is just wrong - no Bigfoot in Belize. Impossible in fact. Tata Duende certainly would have killed and eaten them hundreds of years ago.

I once asked some Maya about Tata Duende on a week long excursion into the Columbia Forest Reserve. They would not discuss the issue, and in fact they avoided talking with me for a couple of days after my question. Duende is serious business down there. I think I created some serious bad mojo on that trip, just by bringing up the subject in the middle of the rainforest - two day's walk back to the nearest village. It's hard to overstate what an impact my stupid question had on our four guides...

John
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Jshuey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:02 pm
WingedWishes wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 am Two weeks ago in Belize, I had just washed my long hair and had it down to dry. One of the village kids saw me in the rain forest and yelled to his mom ‘Look! A caveman!’
This is just wrong - no Bigfoot in Belize. Impossible in fact. Tata Duende certainly would have killed and eaten them hundreds of years ago.

I once asked some Maya about Tata Duende on a week long excursion into the Columbia Forest Reserve. They would not discuss the issue, and in fact they avoided talking with me for a couple of days after my question. Duende is serious business down there. I think I created some serious bad mojo on that trip, just by bringing up the subject in the middle of the rainforest - two day's walk back to the nearest village. It's hard to overstate what an impact my stupid question had on our four guides...

John
Bigfoots, spirits, and sorcery are no laughing matter in many remote locations of the world.

In parts of Malaysia the bigfoot Otang Mawas is considered very real. In Solomon Islands, the giant humanoids, not seen in generations, occur in many stories, so much so that the historical king of the giants had a personal name.

In New Georgia, my bush guide stuck a tea leaf in his belt and gave me one, to protect against "forest spirits". He may have been dubious concerning the need, but better to err on the side of caution.

On Guadalcanal, the head of an IT company, who was western educated, told me one of his employees lived on the other side of the island (a 24 hour walk each way) and used the Bush Motorbike to get to and fro every day. There is no motorbike, it's a the contemporary name for the ability to move instantaneously from one location to another. And this friend was a true believer.

On Makira island, the local lore includes numerous accounts of little forest people, the Kakamora. Virtually everyone there believes they exist.

Laughing at or discrediting local customs and beliefs can be a very big mistake. In doing so it builds a level of mistrust and concern for safety, even if the local isn't totally sold on the beliefs.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Whatever your personal feelings, you certainly need to respect the local populace, I've only been out of the country twice, one day when collecting,
a couple guys helped me net butterflies, and when they saw I was photographing one of them, the other came right over to have his picture
taken as well, I had no interest in facial pictures of the gentlemen, just their participation- but when in "Rome".
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

If you're interested in a scientific perspective on Bigfoot, read Jeff Meldrum's "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science". It should still be available on Amazon.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

58chevy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 pm If you're interested in a scientific perspective on Bigfoot, read Jeff Meldrum's "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science". It should still be available on Amazon.
Can you give us a summary? Various (and often dubious) publications cite Bigfoot evasion of physical evidence as intergalactic aliens, able to turn sideways and disappear, shape shifters, and experts in camoflage and evasion.

On the latter, I could understand that. I played paintball with a few Vietnam vets; one second they're next to you, the next second they disappear though they couldn't be far. It was eerie.

I can buy into the whole hard-to-spot thing. I've found new butterflies, and extended the known range of probably 100 species in areas that had been fairly well covered. And despite an extensive search for the big alligator in the caged pond, I could not spot him- till I stick my arm through the cage to grab a turtle, and voila, there he is...right there.

The lack of dead bigfoots (or parts) is hard to fathom; after thousands of years of dying, some certainly couldn't be found/ recovered. There are human remains on Everest and even Denali. There are indigenous burial grounds (and random bodies) all over the place. Why no physical evidence?
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Yes, no bodies- that reminds me of a disagreement I had about cats getting "stuck" in trees and dying. My position was that they fall out of the tree
after expiring.
Maybe the bigfoots just vaporize after death.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Chuck, Dr. Meldrum is an anthropologist who specializes in the evolution of bipedal locomotion. He doesn't discuss the weird stuff like disappearing aliens, shape shifters, etc. He concentrates on physical evidence, especially footprints with distinctive non-human dermal ridges, lack of an arch as in humans, and other differentiating characteristics. He has the world's largest collection of Bigfoot footprints. He presents only verifiable evidence for the creature's probable existence. He also discusses Gigantopithecus, the giant prehistoric ape that he believes is Bigfoot's direct ancestor. No B.S. or wild speculation in this book. It's strictly a scientific presentation of the evidence.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

The well-known lepidopterist and writer ("Butterflies of Cascadia" and several more works) Robert M. Pyle lives in the Pacific NW and wrote a little book about bigfoot ("Where Bigfoot Walks" I think was the title) several years ago. Pyle gives the impression that, based partly on some personal experiences, he kinda wants to be a believer but just can't quite get around the absence of physical remains. There ought to have been a cranium, a pelvis, or even a roadkill of a juvenile, found by now. I agree.
jh
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

jhyatt wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:02 pm The well-known lepidopterist and writer ("Butterflies of Cascadia" and several more works) Robert M. Pyle lives in the Pacific NW and wrote a little book about bigfoot ("Where Bigfoot Walks" I think was the title) several years ago. Pyle gives the impression that, based partly on some personal experiences, he kinda wants to be a believer but just can't quite get around the absence of physical remains. There ought to have been a cranium, a pelvis, or even a roadkill of a juvenile, found by now. I agree.
jh
I believe that book was the one made into the movie "The Dark Divide" which we discussed on the old forum. The subject of Bigfoot was relegated to a much smaller role.

My observation of humans is that anything they personally can't explain is either voodoo or attributed to something incorrectly. In my area, people are constantly posting photos and audio on SM and are 98% of the time wrong. In photos, foxes and coyotes "must be a wolf" when in fact there haven't been wolves here in 200 years. Audio is a beauty- often recorded at night, horrible noises, numerous well-wishers often cite that said audio is various nefarious deadly animals when all it usually is is two racoons fighting or a turkey being taken down by a coyote.

Not to say that there isn't the unknown or unexpected. I was laughed at when 30 years ago I reported seeing a coyote in our town; they'd been absent for over 100 years. Now the damned things are everywhere, eating cats.

I couple months ago I was staying at a remote cabin in KY, running my bucket trap at night, and poking around during the day. I found three Lucanus capreolus, three days in a row, in the morning at the bottom of the steps. Freshly deceased, on their backs. Kinda odd. I got only one in the light trap on the other side of the cabin. Sure there are plenty of natural explanations, but in this case it makes me wonder.

Same cabin, at night I'd hear what sounded like a 12" scarab trying to climb out of a box of plastic cups. Yes, it sounded exactly like that. And it was loud. And I could pinpoint it to an area near the fridge, but it wasn't the fridge. Nothing in the cabinets. Nothing outside that could do it. I've heard many times in my life birds and squirrels in walls, in gutters, on roofs, and this wasn't even close. I could HEAR the tarsi scraping against the plastic cups, and hear the plastic cups moving against each other. I mean, if I'd had the thought to record it, you'd say that's exactly what it was. I have no idea what could have repeatedly caused that noise.

Same cabin, I heard loud mammal-type noises from a few dozen yards in the dark forest. I did not recognize them, and certainly BF did occur to me, and BF had been reported from that area some 50 years ago. But I didn't jump to the conclusion that it WAS BF, as I am aware that I'm unfamiliar with local animal sounds. KY crows vocalize differently than do ours (you ever heard FL crows? They sound like they're dying) and even our local fox this past year surprised me with new vocalizations.

Another oddball story- so this past spring we were on the back deck, the forest is only 15' away in some spots. We were listing to an owl, when I told my wife "that isn't an owl- it's tailing off wrong." So I sent the wife inside, and got my night vision and went back out. And sure enough, 10m into the forest (so at that point 20m from the house) clear as day (well, green) there's a dude with short hair, good build, flannel-style shirt on his knees with hands on hips next to a tree. Gotcha, MFer.

Now, as everyone knows, when you spot something NEVER take your eyes off it. So I kicked the side of the house till wife came out, and told her to bring the big flashlight. Counting down from three, I turned off the NV and she hit the light (my NV isn't gated.) Nothing. Not there. Empty space. To make things more confusing, we doused the light and I turned on the NV again...and there "he" is. The next morning I walked into that spot; there's no manner of sticks or leaves that could possibly have created a human form. Nor was there so much as a broken twig or impression in the ground. I can blame the NVG for fabrication based on something, yet the whole observation is suspect.

Anyway, absence of evidence is an inference but not proof. Look at the Coelecanth.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Unseen noises are open to the imagination, we had a rat issue here at home, and it sounded just like they were in the walls, in the ceiling, in
places that seemed unlikely given the construction of the house, at any rate, just about anything is possible, but when the problem was
discovered by the people who went under the house, we were told that it was just the rats running along pipes near the concrete slab the house
sits on, and the noise would carry and bounce around. I'm down with people creeping around in the woods being weird, it happens and their
motives are inexplicable, it's certainly a good way to get yourself shot if you muck around the country at the wrong house.