Presentation

Important news, upcoming events, etc.
Eddie-Bug
Reactions:
Great Britain

Re: Presentation

Post by Eddie-Bug »

Hello,

My name is Eddie and I live in the UK, in Hertfordshire, which ia in the sourh of England.

I'm just an amateur interested in wildlife. We very rarely see anything even mildly exotic, the last I remember was a hummingbird hawk moth that visited our pond years ago.

We have fruit trees, hawthorn, holly, and ivy, so we get red admiral and holly blue butterflies, plus shield bugs. Various unusual wasps, etc find their way into our conservatory.

I keep a small log pile, and the occasional beetle (eg a cardinal) crawls out to say hallo.

So, pretty mundane really.

But I have just posted about the bug - large for us - that we have for a while.

Best wishes,

Eddie
Eddie-Bug
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Eddie-Bug »

Apologies - I'm working on the Latin
Eddie-Bug
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Eddie-Bug »

macroglossum stellatarum, vanessa atalanta, celastrina argiolos, acanthosoma haemorrhoidale, pyrochroa coccinea

on

equisetum japonicum, malus domestica, crataegus monogyna, Ilex aquifolium, hedera
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Eddie,

Welcome to Insectnet, and thanks for adding the Latin names. Please note that genus names should start with a capital letter, but species names start with a small one, so Macroglossum stellatarum and Celastrina argiolus (note spelling argiolus).

Adam.
(Originally from Brum, but been in Thailand since 1981)
Eddie-Bug
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Eddie-Bug »

Adam,

Thanks for your response, and the correction.

Regards,

Eddie
Hilwo
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by Hilwo »

Hi there,
I'm Hilwo from the Netherlands. I've come here in hopes to get a small fly identified. I live in a small wooden house behind my parents' house. The yard is pretty 'rural', we like it that way :)
akraider
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by akraider »

Hello...I'm Dave and I'm in Montana (born and raised) and have seldom ever left the state...started collecting all forms of insects on our family farm when I was 7 years old...pinned them and mounted them in cigar boxes that had melted paraffin in the bottom for a mounting base...was most attracted to butterflies and moths...fast forward many years and I'm married with 3 children and start the hobby again to interest them...they never really became all that interested but the flame was reignited in me...about 1982 I discovered Ianni Butterflies and the whole world of butterfly and moth possibilities amazed me...then I discovered Ken Thorne's Insect Shoppe and between the two outlets I began collecting Bird Wings and Australasian and Oriental Papilio...due to work constraints I had to pause collecting and packed my specimens away for a few years...I retired and took up the hobby again only to discover that about 40% of the collection had been destroyed by bugs...so for the last 1 1/2 years I've been rebuilding the collection and expanding it...a slow process and I might add, a little spendy...I am thoroughly amazed at the info here and the beautiful pictures of everyone's specimens...I check in and keep up on the current postings and this site is a major source of information for which I'm very grateful.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

akraider wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:31 am Hello...I'm Dave and I'm in Montana (born and raised) and have seldom ever left the state...started collecting all forms of insects on our family farm when I was 7 years old...pinned them and mounted them in cigar boxes that had melted paraffin in the bottom for a mounting base...was most attracted to butterflies and moths...fast forward many years and I'm married with 3 children and start the hobby again to interest them...they never really became all that interested but the flame was reignited in me...about 1982 I discovered Ianni Butterflies and the whole world of butterfly and moth possibilities amazed me...then I discovered Ken Thorne's Insect Shoppe and between the two outlets I began collecting Bird Wings and Australasian and Oriental Papilio...due to work constraints I had to pause collecting and packed my specimens away for a few years...I retired and took up the hobby again only to discover that about 40% of the collection had been destroyed by bugs...so for the last 1 1/2 years I've been rebuilding the collection and expanding it...a slow process and I might add, a little spendy...I am thoroughly amazed at the info here and the beautiful pictures of everyone's specimens...I check in and keep up on the current postings and this site is a major source of information for which I'm very grateful.
Hi Dave,

You live in an area with some interesting Leps!

If you're still interested in Australasian Papilio, note that this year was published a new study which moved some around, and generated new species. See A comprehensive phylogeny and revised taxonomy illuminate the origin and diversification of the global radiation of Papilio (Lepidoptera: Papilionidae)

Note too this forum has a "Suppliers" section, and you'll see some members signature lines have a list of reputable dealers.
centipededede
Reactions:
Romania

Post by centipededede »

Hello. I am an undergraduate student from Romania but have been collecting centipedes for around 6 years now and am currently active in centipede taxonomy and systematics.