Butterflies of Virginia, Clark & Clark 1951

Give us your opinion about an entomological book or documentary and inform us about new publications.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Butterflies of Virginia, Clark & Clark 1951

Post by Chuck »

I pulled this book out to research something, and got caught reading it. I'd forgotten just how wonderfully chock full it is with information. It's not just about Virginia's butterflies- it goes into extensive observations by Mr. and Mrs. Clark and other researchers, correlations with weather patterns, and goes well into other states. Unlike most books on identification (from Golden Nature to Opler or Scott) this one goes into details...it's more like a very thorough field notes.

Though many hypotheses and taxonomic "facts" have been changed in the 70 years since publication, it is astonishing the number of questions raised, generally in the form of observations that don't quite form a conclusion, that remain unanswered today. And being a snapshot of the time, focused on the early 20th century, some observations now may be relevant, such as one taxon that had apparently been moving north- an early harbinger of climate change?

It's an astonishing read, from end to end, because it's not just a book about butterflies, it's a story, a true story. Clearly, the author didn't intend it to be that way, but with all the name dropping, period observations, and data it has become a story.

Unfortunately, I could not find a copy available online to purchase. But you may want to keep your eyes open.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Butterflies of Virginia, Clark & Clark 1951

Post by jhyatt »

I reread my copy every few years, Chuck -- and not just because I live near, and collect in, VA regularly. There's fascinating info in there -- like the fact that they found only one specimen of Pieris virginiensis in Virginia, and it was about 200 feet from the WVA border (it's now dirt common in SW VA, and much further south, too), that Colias eurytheme was a recent addition to the VA fauna (it wasn't seen north of the NC border until around 1920, as I recall), and that Speyeria diana still flew on the outer coastal plain at their time of study (the type locality of diana is Jamestown, VA!). They gave records for the now-vanished Speyeria idalia in over 30 VA counties, too. I'm sure their long, long discussion of P. glaucus broods and variation is of great interest to your own research, too.

Cheeers,
jh
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Ha, John it never occurred to me that the book would be ESPECIALLY interesting and useful for those living in Virginia!

Yes, it's sad to now look back and see how so many species are extirpated from the lands they once occupied. I did find it interesting that in the early 20th century they reported (as you cited) species expanding in range, and apparently quickly.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Chuck wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 pm
Yes, it's sad to now look back and see how so many species are extirpated from the lands they once occupied. I did find it interesting that in the early 20th century they reported (as you cited) species expanding in range, and apparently quickly.
Chuck,

I think that all species are constantly trying to expand their ranges, and this leads to occasional range expansions and contractions pretty much randomly with time. Occasionally an expansion or contraction "sticks", like C. eurytheme moving north (well before temp increases became measureable, I note), and P. virginiensis moving south (at about the same time). And S. idalia seems to have moved from east to west over the past 50 years or so. Charlie Covell told me that Boloria bellona toddi moved much further south into and below Kentucky about the time of Interstate road construction, which might have provided some suitable flyway habitat, perhaps? And maybe the naming of S, diana with type loc. Jamestowon, VA just happened to occur in the middle of a big eastward expansion which didn't last long?

A big problem with biogeography is that we lack range data over big areas over long time periods for most species. So many bugs, so little time!
jh