DIY CORNELL_SIZE glass top drawers - How to >>>

General discussion on entomology
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

DIY CORNELL_SIZE glass top drawers - How to >>>

Post by vabrou »

I have fabricated these wooden glass top drawers for over a half century. Link to freely accessible detailed instructions to make high quality drawers:

https://www.academia.edu/30703260/Do_it ... en_drawers

Key to fabricating high quality drawers is using high quality wood. Start with scraps you will end with trash. Be sure lumber is seasoned and dry. Best selections in USA are: hard pines, medium to soft pines, basswood and poplar. Poor selections include: fir, redwood, cypress.

Best practice dictates is you make a batch of 20, 50, 100 drawers you must use a quality table saw with highest quality blades, e.g on a 10" dia blade, 100 carbide tipped teeth ( furniture grade blade). Beginning e.g. fabricating a batch of 50 drawers, Begin by cutting on the table saw, six foot lengths of 1" X 4" quality lumber into two lengthwise strips 6' X
3/4" X 1" and 6' X 3/4" X 2 3/16". Do not cut into four pieces for drawers until 100% of lengthwise cuts have been made to all 6' lengths of all 50 wood pieces. Then those cuts for 4 sides of drawers then can be mitered with 45º ends cut on a chop saw with carbide tip blade.
Keep matching cut pieces together during entire fabrication process. If building a large batch of drawers at a time, many cuts can be made at a single saw setting. This also standardizes the size of each component for all the drawers in the batch. Further cut or groove pieces to dimensions listed for drawer base (part A) and drawer lid (part B). See drawing. Painting (or adhesive white paper) the drawer sides white will make your final result stand out above over those without white sides.

Here is a jpg from 25 years ago of myself in front of a few of the hundreds of these drawers I have fabricated. If you are surprised at the cost of commercially available drawers. Try making these yourself and see why the cost so much. I have made several batches of 100 drawers at a time, and it took me years of spare time to complete all of them with very good quality results.

Citation to search on web:
Brou Jr., Vernon A. 1992. Do it yourself Cornell-size specimen drawers. South. Lepid. News 14: 57-59.

Attachments
Vernon Antoine Brou Jr.  11-11-2000-185%.jpg
Vernon Antoine Brou Jr. 11-11-2000-185%.jpg (392.85 KiB) Viewed 384 times
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: DIY CORNELL_SIZE glass top drawers - How to >>>

Post by 58chevy »

Do you sell drawers?
vabrou