Important news, upcoming events, etc.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

USA Insect Drawers

Post by Jshuey »

The guys that made drawers for BioQuip have started their own business - at https://pinitentomology.com/

John
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Re: USA Insect Drawers

Post by wollastoni »

Excellent news, they should advertise on InsectNet !
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I ordered some plastazote from them. They were very nice and the order was delivered promptly. I plan to become a regular customer.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

58chevy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:37 pm I ordered some plastazote from them. They were very nice and the order was delivered promptly. I plan to become a regular customer.
Are they selling the higher quality “finer” and “whiter” version, or the coarser one? I can’t remember if Bioquip referred to both of them as plastazote, but they had two types.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I think they only sell the "finer & whiter":

https://pinitentomology.com/products/in ... oam-insert
DrewAlan
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by DrewAlan »

I, too, have dealt with them and found them exceedingly helpful. The quality of the products I have familiarity with (drawers, unit trays) is excellent. I truly hope they manage to continue to grow with time.

Drew
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

58chevy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:31 pm I think they only sell the "finer & whiter":

https://pinitentomology.com/products/in ... oam-insert
Yes that does appear to be it! I didn’t see that photo when I checked their website a while back. Perhaps it was added since then. Thanks for the reply!
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

What is the main advantage of plastazote, over something such as foamcore? Do pins not leave visible holes in plastazote, if removed?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:39 pm Do pins not leave visible holes in plastazote, if removed?
No, they don't.

Adam.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:39 pm What is the main advantage of plastazote, over something such as foamcore? Do pins not leave visible holes in plastazote, if removed?
It also grips the pin quite well, despite the fact that the pin is very easy to insert. Just a wonderful material in every way, including appearance - it has no reflection (this foam has no “skin”), and is a very pleasing shade of white.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

Panacanthus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 pm
livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:39 pm What is the main advantage of plastazote, over something such as foamcore? Do pins not leave visible holes in plastazote, if removed?
It also grips the pin quite well, despite the fact that the pin is very easy to insert. Just a wonderful material in every way, including appearance - it has no reflection (this foam has no “skin”), and is a very pleasing shade of white.
I heartily agree, this is the only way to go.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

adamcotton wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:45 pm No, they don't.
Panacanthus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 pm It also grips the pin quite well, despite the fact that the pin is very easy to insert. Just a wonderful material in every way, including appearance - it has no reflection (this foam has no “skin”), and is a very pleasing shade of white.
Paul K wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:44 pm I heartily agree, this is the only way to go.
Many thanks - will plan to use this material in future drawers/displays.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Somewhere there is a discussion on plastazote and equivalent tight, closed cell foams for pinning. IIRC it has links to where I got mine in rolled sheets at a very much lower price than buying precut.
papiliotheona
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by papiliotheona »

Brent Karner, who used to run BioQuipBugs before Royce bought it, is a top tier guy.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

papiliotheona wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:59 pm Brent Karner, who used to run BioQuipBugs before Royce bought it, is a top tier guy.
No kidding! He sure is. I went to that website when first posted, but I didn't recognize Brent...he got...older.

Off topic, what happened with Jerry? I think he retired, but haven't heard boo from him in almost two decades.
papiliotheona
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by papiliotheona »

Jerri and his wife used to pretty regularly pop into Bioquip. They were at the last BQ Christmas party, before the pandemic. Then again, it's been gone for two years now... gee whiz, how the time flies.