Papilio syfanius from Ganzi Sichuan

Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Papilio syfanius from Ganzi Sichuan

Post by Leonard187 »

A specimen of male Papilio syfanius caught from Ganzi, Sichuan of China. I used to read from some literature that the nominate subspecies distrbuted in Sichuan, and the ssp. albosyfanius mainly distrbuted in NW. and C. Yunnan and also S. Sichuan. So I don't known whether it is nominate subspecies or ssp. albosyfanius >0<
QQ截图20231213222725.jpg
QQ截图20231213222725.jpg (310.22 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
QQ截图20231213222740.jpg
QQ截图20231213222740.jpg (300.97 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Papilio syfanius from Ganzi Sichuan

Post by adamcotton »

Of course this is the nominate subspecies. There is considerable variation from specimens with completely dark hindwings to those with a distinct white postdiscal patch in the nominate ssp, but the majority tend to be dark.

Ssp. albosyfanius mainly has a distinct white hindwing postdiscal patch.

Adam.
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Post by Leonard187 »

adamcotton wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:37 pm Of course this is the nominate subspecies. There is considerable variation from specimens with completely dark hindwings to those with a distinct white postdiscal patch in the nominate ssp, but the majority tend to be dark.

Ssp. albosyfanius mainly has a distinct white hindwing postdiscal patch.

Adam.
I' ve got several specimens of male Papilio maackii han (or shimogorii?) from Ganzi, Sichuan and they present different colour on hindwings. Compared with those of P. m. han from Ji'nan, Shandong and nominate ssp. from Dandong, Liaoning, the tornus shape of more Ganzi specimens seem much similar as that of P. syfanius, but several individuals are not. Can they bee 'transitional ones' or just individual difference?
20240114191237.jpg
20240114191237.jpg (197.21 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

The type locality of Papilio maackii han (Yoshino, 1997) is 'Mt. Wuyishan, Fujiang prov., China', and it is considered to be the senior synonym of shimogorii Fujioka, 1997 (type locality: 'Mt. Omeishan, Sichuan, China'), i.e. han is the valid subspecies name for P. maackii occurring at least between Sichuan and Fujian.

I have not seen P. maackii from Jinan, Shandong which is much further north, not so far from Liaoning, and may belong to ssp. maackii. The main difference between ssp. maackii and ssp. han is the absence of a cream postdiscal band on the hindwing underside in the latter.

The differences in the wing and tail shape of photos B-E seem just to be individual variation, and could also be seasonal depending on date of capture. The first generation of ssp. han in Ganzi should be in April-May, and the second generation in about July. First generation specimens are much smaller, and there is no indication of relative size in the photos.

Adam.
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Post by Leonard187 »

adamcotton wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:01 pm The type locality of Papilio maackii han (Yoshino, 1997) is 'Mt. Wuyishan, Fujiang prov., China', and it is considered to be the senior synonym of shimogorii Fujioka, 1997 (type locality: 'Mt. Omeishan, Sichuan, China'), i.e. han is the valid subspecies name for P. maackii occurring at least between Sichuan and Fujian.

I have not seen P. maackii from Jinan, Shandong which is much further north, not so far from Liaoning, and may belong to ssp. maackii. The main difference between ssp. maackii and ssp. han is the absence of a cream postdiscal band on the hindwing underside in the latter.

The differences in the wing and tail shape of photos B-E seem just to be individual variation, and could also be seasonal depending on date of capture. The first generation of ssp. han in Ganzi should be in April-May, and the second generation in about July. First generation specimens are much smaller, and there is no indication of relative size in the photos.

Adam.
Thanks Adam. The specimens of B-E from Ganzi were obtained in the same season (might be the summer brood) with similar size as the summer brood from Ji'nan and Liaoning (male). So I suppose they are all summer brood.
The one from Ji'nan is such similar with the ssp. han from Sichuan but different with those from LIaoning and Jilin (nominate ssp.), and I post three of them herein. First is from Ji'nan and the other two from Ganzi. My friend have taken photos of some nominate ssp. and someone much like this specimen from the same mountain in Shandong, so I think maybe both ssp. are distributed in Shandong. I don't know wherther I am right :D
QQ截图20240115152037.jpg
QQ截图20240115152037.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
QQ截图20240115152047.jpg
QQ截图20240115152047.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
QQ截图20240115153727.jpg
QQ截图20240115153727.jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 6168 times