Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Citations of publications?

Post by Chuck »

Hi guys,

I need to cite some publications; the easy way is to go to one of the scientific paper access sites and use their citation. But these seem inconsistent. For example:

Scriber, J. Mark 1990. "Interaction of Introgression From Papilio Glaucus Canadensis and Diapause in Producing "Spring Form" Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterflies, P. Glaucus (Lepidoptera: Palilionidae),"The Great Lakes Entomologist, vol 23 (3)

Schmidt, Christian. (2019). “More on Ontario Tiger Swallowtails.” Toronto Entomologists’ Association Season Summary, Ontario Lepidoptera 2019.
Scriber JM. Assessing ecological and physiological costs of melanism in North American Papilio glaucus females: two decades of dark morph frequency declines. Insect Sci. 2020 Jun;27(3):583-612. doi: 10.1111/1744-7917.12653. Epub 2019 Jan 7. PMID: 30456932; PMCID: PMC7277061.

Scriber JM. Assessing ecological and physiological costs of melanism in North American Papilio glaucus females: two decades of dark morph frequency declines. Insect Sci. 2020 Jun;27(3):583-612. doi: 10.1111/1744-7917.12653. Epub 2019 Jan 7. PMID: 30456932; PMCID: PMC7277061.

Any suggestions?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Citations of publications?

Post by adamcotton »

It absolutely depends on the formatting requirements of the journal you will publish in.

Adam.
nomihoudai
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by nomihoudai »

Hello Chuck. People don't format these by hand. You create an intermediate file in BibTex format. After this you configure your text editor to use the BibTex file to reference the citation and you set your citation format there. Check for "How to insert a citation in Microsoft Word using BibTeX" if you use MS Word for example.

I used to store my research papers in Mendeley to create the BibTex files. I would write my research papers using LaTex and Evernote. Personally, I find MS Word horrible, nevertheless it was the more popular choice in our biology department. Which program to use is a matter of personal taste.

Of course a handful can be formatted by hand, but my research papers would usually have more than 50 references. Reviews even up to 150.
Lepidoptera distribution maps: lepimap.click
nomihoudai
Reactions:
Netherlands

Post by nomihoudai »

I think my second paragraph and the suggestion to Mendeley helps you best with your problem. Mendeley creates the citation information from a PDF or can find it by a paper's DOI (all the popular papers come with a DOI, a digital object identifier). When it finds nothing you have a form field where you can enter publication journal, date, pages, etc. yourself.
Lepidoptera distribution maps: lepimap.click
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Thanks guys.

I was hoping for a resource that would format the citation in whichever preference I get to select. Mendeley might do that, if I had an account.

Oh well, did it by hand.
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

[i]"People don't format these by hand."[/i] I have been creating references 'only by hand' for the past 55 years. Like everything one learns during your life, once you do something a number of times, it is no big deal and one can spit these out as fast as one can type. Once you let software or other people control matters you don't yourself control, then there is where the problems occur.

Those clickable added links often added in recent years are not part of the citation. They are only provided for easy clickable web access to the cited publication at these various web addresses.

A more recent trend in recent decades is where the authors themselves create a citation in the publication for the reader to use for referencing.

Here is how I handle this matter by including in the article the prepared citation for the reader. See attached jpg. (from a manuscript I am currently working on describing two new clearwing moths, and clearing up the hundreds of misidentifications subsequently made by the original describing authors of the clearwing moth species Synanthedon arkansasensis Duckworth and Eichlin, 1973). Page numbers are currently unknown as the manuscript is still pending submittal at this moment.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (184.97 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

The easy way - figure out the format the journal is looking for. Open Google Scholar Search - and type enough of the paper
's title in to find it. Then click the "cite" link below the paper. It will show the paper in several formats - copy the one that is appropriate, copy and paste. It's that simple.

Example Search "calhoun papilio daunus" - the paper that comes up first is "The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence". Hit "cite" below it, and you get these options to copy and paste - one of them is likely the format the journal in question is looking for - or at least very close...

Calhoun, JOHN V. "The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence." JOURNAL-LEPIDOPTERISTS SOCIETY 61.2 (2007): 105.

Calhoun, J. V. (2007). The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence. JOURNAL-LEPIDOPTERISTS SOCIETY, 61(2), 105.

Calhoun, JOHN V. "The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence." JOURNAL-LEPIDOPTERISTS SOCIETY 61, no. 2 (2007): 105.

Calhoun, J.V., 2007. The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence. JOURNAL-LEPIDOPTERISTS SOCIETY, 61(2), p.105.

Calhoun JV. The identity of Papilio daunus Cramer (Hesperiidae): a re-examination with new evidence. JOURNAL-LEPIDOPTERISTS SOCIETY. 2007 Jan 28;61(2):105.

John
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Thanks John, that's what I'm looking for! I do hate hand editing citations, they're so boring.