Transporting insects out of the U.S. in airline luggage

Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
Papilio_indra
Reactions:
United States of America

Transporting insects out of the U.S. in airline luggage

Post by Papilio_indra »

A friend of mine in Europe will be vacationing in the U.S. next spring and I am planning to meet with him near the end of his trip. He is interested in purchasing papered specimens from my collection of American butterflies and will carry them home in his airline luggage. My question is, does he need to file some type of advance paperwork with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or Customs, before those specimens can leave the U.S.? None of the butterflies are endangered or protected. He already knows how to handle the entry requirements into his county when he returns home. Thanks for any information that you may have.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Transporting insects out of the U.S. in airline luggage

Post by Chuck »

Technically, and legally, he would need an export license from USFWS, fill out a 3-177, and get the specimens inspected prior to leaving (more $$, and also has to be done at specific airports.) There are exceptions, but from what I understand of the situation, none apply.
Papilio_indra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Papilio_indra »

Thank you Chuck, I appreciate the info. I was hoping that there would be a quick and easy option for the occasional overseas collector who visits the U.S. and wants to take some specimens back home with them. If the specimens need to be inspected at a certain airport before departure then this requirement will likely end the idea of transporting butterflies as it would require my friend to change his international return flight schedule. Also, it could be difficult to book an in-person appointment with USFWS at the airport a few hours before departure. It's good to know this information five months out rather than at the airport the day that he is leaving - Thanks again!
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

It may not be that bad. You have to pay for the import/export license ($100 last I knew) but they used to turn them around pretty quick.

If he's flying international he's probably going through an airport with a USFWS office and can schedule an inspection. Or, he can book a return flight through an airport with USFWS office.

So it's easy in theory. In my experience w/ inspections, they've not shown up, and also how they want payment (check, credit card) seemed to change every trip, maybe by office.

Start reading here: https://www.fws.gov/program/office-of-l ... -exporters

And here's the laws, with all the various caveats, exceptions, etc. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-50/c ... -B/part-14
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

So if an inspector doesn’t show up, what happens? Are you just free to go?
Papilio_indra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Papilio_indra »

Thank you for those links to USFWS. My friend will be flying non-stop from Salt Lake City to Amsterdam and unfortunately, SLC is not a designated port for wildlife inspections. I'll let him know his options and go from there. Again I appreciate the help.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

eurytides wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:18 pm So if an inspector doesn’t show up, what happens? Are you just free to go?
Depends. They could say OK and let you through, or they could have your specimens impounded. All depends on the person you're dealing with. If it's not CITES then it shouldn't be a big deal, anyone at USFWS should be able to clear it. Note too that in the linked-to laws, there are exceptions for clearing through non-designated ports, filing 3-177 later, etc. In most cases any given USFWS official doesn't have all the laws memorized, so it's important that importers/ exporters DO have them memorized; I always carried a copy of the laws to point out to them, and it came in handy more than once.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

So read this, in the laws linked:

Any person may import into or export from the United States at any Customs port wildlife products or manufactured articles that are not intended for commercial use and are used as clothing or contained in accompanying personal baggage. However, this exception to the designated port requirement does not apply to any raw or dressed fur; raw, salted, or crusted hide or skin; game trophy; or to wildlife requiring a permit pursuant to part 16, 17, 18, 21, or 23 of this subchapter B.

14.91, table entry 6: As a collector or hobbyist for personal use NO license required (doesn't mean 3-177 not required)

So there are all sorts of caveats, one has to read all the laws to see what applies and what has to be done. A few hours should do it.