Hesperiidae from French Guyana

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Hesperiidae from French Guyana

Post by wolf »

A few hesperiidae that i'm trying id. Any help is appriciated!
1: ??
1.jpg
1.jpg (343.24 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
2: Probably same as 1?
2.jpg
2.jpg (349.59 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
3: Calpodes sp? Possible to be more specific?
3.jpg
3.jpg (369.95 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Last edited by wolf on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Re: Hesperiidae from French Guyana

Post by wolf »

4: Calpodes sp? Possible to be more specific?
4.jpg
4.jpg (388.86 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
5: Aguna coelus?
5.jpg
5.jpg (381.93 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
6: Telegonus cretatus?
6.jpg
6.jpg (401.93 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Last edited by wolf on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

7: Spicauda simplicius?
7.jpg
7.jpg (486.29 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

1 and 2 Unknowns - these are a mystery. These are large bugs - right? Almost as large as the Calpodes? The pattering is odd. On the FW, you have a broad dash in Evans' space 1b, AND a long dash confined to the lower portion of the cell. This is almost the same as you see in female Damas clavus (but the apical spots aligned differently). The ventral HWs are very different. Also note that the wing shapes, antenna structure and palps look pretty similar. I think we are in the ball park.

Perhaps you have females of Damas horridus (love this name!). I've never seen females - but the males I have are really blacker - no hint of orange like your photos. Plus I've only seen this one from much further west in the Peruvian lowlands, where it is fairly common.

If I have time once I get home tonight, I'll plow through my dead bugs and see if anything jumps out at me that I can't picture at the moment.

3 and 4 Calopodes - most likely Calpodes salius - male and female - this is an incredibly variable species.

5: Aguna coelus? - most likely

6: Telegonus cretatus? - definately

7: Spicauda simplicius? - assuming it has a FW costal fold - yes

John
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

Thank you John! You are right, nr 1 and 2 are the same size as the Calpodes. It looks like Damas clavus it the closest bet so far for sure. I have a few more hesperiidae that im currently trying to figure out. I will probably post them aswell after having a look myself first.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

A few more.
8: ??
11.jpg
11.jpg (326.62 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
9: ??
12.jpg
12.jpg (343.11 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
10: ??
13.jpg
13.jpg (352.83 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

11: Spicauda tanna?
8.jpg
8.jpg (448.08 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
12: Telegonus fulminator or fulgerator?
9.jpg
9.jpg (411.34 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
13: Calpodes ethlius?
14.jpg
14.jpg (345.64 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

1 and 2 - I looked through the relevant dead bugs I have - and nothing jumped out. I doubt that they have anything to do with Damas. All my female Damas clavus have a "purple sheen" on the ventral HWs, and the Damas horridus males I have are so black, I just can't imagine a female would look like this.

8, 9 and 10 - I would start with a dissection of the males (8 and 9). I have about 4 entire drawers of bugs that look like these still waiting on dissection... Little brown bugs from the Neotropics scan be tuff! Sometimes, you can pitcture ID bugs like #8 based on the arrangement of FW hyaline spots (which are pretty unusual on this bug). #9 looks a little like a Corticea species - but I don't think it is. and #10 is a female.

11: Spicauda tanna? is probably S. teleus. This has 4 apical spots (versus 5 for tanna). Note the Grishin recently elevated 2 additional South American names based on genetics of their types - zalanthus and ambiguous - and I'm not too sure how to reliably tell these from teleus and the BoA website only figures those type specimens.

12: Telegonus fulminator or fulgerator? - Who he heck knows... . this is a crazy cryptic species complex. I'd go with fulgerator right now - realizing that this phenotype is probably multiple species that are not yet named...

13: Calpodes ethlius? - yep! Finally a simple species ID!

John
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

Thanks again John. Yes those small dark/black ones are indeed hard!
I had a look on nr 1 and 2, and nr 1(which is the best quality specimen) does have a weak purpleish sheen on the upper 2/3 of the ventral hindwings.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

This is very interesting, though outside of my scope.

If you can Stump The Shuey, you've done well. Good luck.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

Chuck wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:00 pm This is very interesting, though outside of my scope.

If you can Stump The Shuey, you've done well. Good luck.
It's not really that hard to stump me... All you have to do is take a look at my personal collection and see the drawers of random, little brown guys that I have yet to place into a proper genus yet.

Back to photos 1 and 2 - I just sent Nick Grishin a copy to see what he thinks. They are either strange Damas clavus, or really uncommon (perhaps undescribed). He's the guy that is almost impossible to stump.

John
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hello John,
Was wondering if you collect skippers from here in the US ? Do you have much in the way of "holdings" from here in the US or have you specialized more on exotic skippers ?

A friend of mine happens to be one of the co-authors of "a Field guide to the skippers of Illinois" which was produced through the Illinois natural History survey in 2006. He has since added an additional page of amendments to the guide where things have changed.

He has traveled extensively throughout the state in search of as many skipper species as he could find. As such, he acquired species that the survey did not have so, it was his personal collection from which the greatest number of photographs are taken.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

#1 and 2 - Definitely a Damas species so says Nick Grishin. Probably no name associated with it.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:41 pm Hello John,
Was wondering if you collect skippers from here in the US ? Do you have much in the way of "holdings" from here in the US or have you specialized more on exotic skippers ?

A friend of mine happens to be one of the co-authors of "a Field guide to the skippers of Illinois" which was produced through the Illinois natural History survey in 2006. He has since added an additional page of amendments to the guide where things have changed.

He has traveled extensively throughout the state in search of as many skipper species as he could find. As such, he acquired species that the survey did not have so, it was his personal collection from which the greatest number of photographs are taken.
I have that book somewhere! And yes, I have decent eastern NA skippers, but I haven't really swung a net in the country is about 20 years. I grew up in Ohio, moved to northern Michigan, and now am in Indiana. And I traveled a lot for my jobs, and collected when I could. But once I really got an opportunity to focus on the tropics - and I'm really only interested in the western tropics,- I decided to focus exclusively there. When I'm in the field, I collect everything, but when it comes time to trade - I'm only looking for skippers anymore. Life used to be great - trading Parides and Preponas for little brown skippers, but lately it seems like I've tapped out the market.

John
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

Jshuey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:12 pm #1 and 2 - Definitely a Damas species so says Nick Grishin. Probably no name associated with it.
Thanks again :)
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

So John, if he apparently has unidentifiable, possibly new species, what's next?

You'd mentioned genitalia dissection.

If he described them as new species, then at least the world sees them and it's open to argument; if they sit in a drawer with a few photos only here, what good is it?
Chris Grinter
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Chris Grinter »

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:41 pm Hello John,

Say hi to Jim for me!
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

Chuck wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:06 pm So John, if he apparently has unidentifiable, possibly new species, what's next?

You'd mentioned genitalia dissection.

If he described them as new species, then at least the world sees them and it's open to argument; if they sit in a drawer with a few photos only here, what good is it?
Well, first step would be to see what other names may already be available. A lot of "new" skippers were described long ago, and then synonymized. Once that potential is evaluated and it was clear that it indeed new, then - If I had the bugs - I'd do a traditional morphological description. That would include first, taking really good photos of the bugs, and then dissecting them. Then a well illustrated, but straight forward description. These can be a simple or complex as you desire - I usually go middle of the road (see here for a recent one (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jo ... cuador.pdf).

JOhn
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

And for French Guyana material, I would double-check with Paris MNHN, as they have tons of material from there.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Check also "Papillons de Guyane" website : http://papillons-de-guyane.fr/papillons ... =19&alt=19
Tons of Hesperiidae there.