Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
billgarthe
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Papilio troilus at flowers

Post by billgarthe »

While the insect numbers are way down, I did manage to get this short vid of a nectaring Papilio troilus recently. And….with so few leps seen this year and my collection having enough of this species, I merely watched it and refrained from collecting it. It is not very common this far north as I’ve only seen a handful of them here in northern Illinois. Most of my specimens are from KY, TN, FLA, and NJ.

Enjoy…
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Papilio troilus at flowers

Post by Chuck »

Interesting. I looked on iNat for sassafras, a preferred host plant, and sure enough mid-Illinois it dwindles out. That would explain the relative rarity.

In Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY, troilus is common, as is sassafras. There are two flights, though I'm not certain the second are offspring from the first.

That's a nice video Bill. Their fluttering while nectaring contrasts with many other Papilio.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

I have noticed for the last two years a very low number of insect here in Southern Ontario as well.
As we are ending now global warming era and entering global boiling era propagated by global elites and politics what is really that contributes to such a drop in relatively short period of time. 5G waves, sun blocking sprays, new pesticides ? Are those a conspiracy theories ?
Let me know what your thoughts
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Paul K wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:24 pm I have noticed for the last two years a very low number of insect here in Southern Ontario as well.
As we are ending now global warming era and entering global boiling era propagated by global elites and politics what is really that contributes to such a drop in relatively short period of time. 5G waves, sun blocking sprays, new pesticides ? Are those a conspiracy theories ?
Let me know what your thoughts
As we return to the global weather of 1000 years ago (if indeed it's not just a brief hiccup) we can expect a northern migration of plants, and the animals that feed on them. Thus, sassafras in IL and ON will likely head north, and with it troilus.

Pesticides, chemical pollutants, etc. are a different story which have had, and will continue to have, significant impact on all life. Urban sprawl and ecological destruction (ie deforestation) will as well.

The impact of low-strength 5G radio waves stands in contrast with (for example) sticking your head in front of a million watt satellite dish. Still, one can't help but wonder what the millions of radio waves (TV, WiFi, AM/FM/VHF/UHF) are doing to bodies. I doubt they bother Leps much though, particularly on the larger scale of generally large populations.

There are no conspiracy theories, only unproven theories. Follow the money to figure out if they are supressed or actually nutty.