Preferred Display at Fairs/Expos etc

General discussion on entomology
Artem
Reactions:
Australia

Preferred Display at Fairs/Expos etc

Post by Artem »

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the entomology world and have a question about what is customary when it comes to displaying specimens for sale at expos/shows etc.

For butterflies and moths I think it's fairly straightforward - I'm relaxing specimens that are more interesting so people can view the quality when buying. For things that are ex-pupa or where I'm confident in the quality, I'll have a display specimen and they can then be purchased in paper.

For other insects, I'm not 100% sure about what to do. Especially for I guess "rarer" specimens that I have like Cetoniinae from Africa and larger Lucanidae from SE Asia. Would you expect each specimen to be spread for you to choose from? Or would viewing a sample in the display case and then choosing from specimens still on cardboard be acceptable? In some cases, I may only have one exemplar, but for others, I may have as many as 10-20.

For the less expensive ones, I am leaning towards having a display case with a sample of each spread and then people can pick from specimens still set on cardboard - is that customary?

I'd appreciate a bit of guidance from the more experienced collectors here :) And I'll be looking forward to meeting some of you at the Juvisy show which is the week following this expo.
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Re: Preferred Display at Fairs/Expos etc

Post by Cassidinae »

An exposed prepared sample is always better. But it depends on the seller's capabilities. Most just don't have the opportunity (space) to have prepared samples of everything. Some only sell packaged material (a disadvantage, but a necessity).
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Personally, I prefer to purchase beetles in “papered/packaged” form, as long as it is done nicely enough so that I can see the specimen clearly, and see that everything is intact. Not everyone pins their beetles the same (in the same location, if at all), and this gives the more “picky” collectors the ability to pin (or not pin) the specimens themselves. Many collectors glue specimens instead of pinning. Examples could be Eupholus weevils or Chrysinas. Also there are many different spreading “styles”. If I purchase a spread beetle, chances are really good I’m going to re-do it anyways. Therefore I very much prefer papered/packaged specimens. On the other hand there will be collectors who don’t like spreading and will want them already prepared. You can’t please everyone with one method, so perhaps try and offer a variety, but I would leave the rarest material unprepared if it were me. Papered beetles can be displayed neatly in a case just the same as spread ones, as long as you have the space. This can help eliminate unnecessary handling.

I’m only talking about beetles here - when it comes to Lepidoptera, I agree with what Cassidinae said.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Artem
Reactions:
Australia

Post by Artem »

Cassidinae wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:56 pm An exposed prepared sample is always better. But it depends on the seller's capabilities. Most just don't have the opportunity (space) to have prepared samples of everything. Some only sell packaged material (a disadvantage, but a necessity).
Space and time are definitely the most significant constraints for me. But I think I can manage to have at least a sample of most things prepared in time :)
Panacanthus wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:11 pm Personally, I prefer to purchase beetles in “papered/packaged” form, as long as it is done nicely enough so that I can see the specimen clearly, and see that everything is intact. Not everyone pins their beetles the same (in the same location, if at all), and this gives the more “picky” collectors the ability to pin (or not pin) the specimens themselves. Many collectors glue specimens instead of pinning. Examples could be Eupholus weevils or Chrysinas. Also there are many different spreading “styles”. If I purchase a spread beetle, chances are really good I’m going to re-do it anyways. Therefore I very much prefer papered/packaged specimens. On the other hand there will be collectors who don’t like spreading and will want them already prepared. You can’t please everyone with one method, so perhaps try and offer a variety, but I would leave the rarest material unprepared if it were me. Papered beetles can be displayed neatly in a case just the same as spread ones, as long as you have the space. This can help eliminate unnecessary handling.

I’m only talking about beetles here - when it comes to Lepidoptera, I agree with what Cassidinae said.
Ok noted! This definitely makes it a bit simpler for me as it cuts down on how much spreading needs to be done and will let me focus my attention on the right things.

I too have noticed everyone seems to have their own take on how to spread things. Acrocinus longimanus was a good example for me recently. I spread 25 of these but noted there were many different ways to position them.

On another note - how are specimens usually organised? By country or family? Or just a random mix of things?
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Post by Cassidinae »

Artem wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:37 am
On another note - how are specimens usually organised? By country or family? Or just a random mix of things?
Again, it's hard to say. Both ways have their importance and their supporters! :) Most people probably logically prefer sorting by family. But especially when it comes to sales, sorting by country is also very important! Most people are only interested in selected areas.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I've tried selling insect displays of various sizes (riker mounts) of different beetle and lep species.
Complete waste of time.
While my relatives were supportive and always said that I should try and sell my displays at craft
fairs and other venues, I never sold a thing.
Maybe it's the customer base here in the USA, in any case, maybe you might have luck selling individual specimens
or in a different country, or a much larger city. I live in a tourist town- so it wasn't like locals only.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I used to show/ sell at the LA and Pomona insect fairs. Collectors preferred set, individual specimens and brought their own Schmidt boxes. Joe Average, mostly children, bought whatever was cheap and showy, and would often drop another ten buck for a cardboard box.

There was a local guy that used to sell at craft shows and in the mall. They were often large and colorful butterflies in picture frames. He'd sometimes enhance the specimens (eg Thysania agrippina with feathers replacing antennae.) I suppose he did OK.
Artem
Reactions:
Australia

Post by Artem »

Chuck wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 pm I used to show/ sell at the LA and Pomona insect fairs. Collectors preferred set, individual specimens and brought their own Schmidt boxes. Joe Average, mostly children, bought whatever was cheap and showy, and would often drop another ten buck for a cardboard box.

There was a local guy that used to sell at craft shows and in the mall. They were often large and colorful butterflies in picture frames. He'd sometimes enhance the specimens (eg Thysania agrippina with feathers replacing antennae.) I suppose he did OK.
Thank you for the tips!! I wouldn't dream of putting feathers on a specimen, let alone Thysania aprippina! That seems nuts to me..

Part of me is doubtful how many actual collectors will make the trip to this show since it's only the second year they're running it and it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. They're expecting 12,000 visitors over 3 days, but I imagine 90%+ will be families with kids and if I'm lucky 10% would be collectors/people interested enough to buy a specimen. So I've re-calibrated my approach to appeal to kids/the average Joe's to hopefully give them more of the cheap/showy stuff.
Cassidinae wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:00 pm Again, it's hard to say. Both ways have their importance and their supporters! :) Most people probably logically prefer sorting by family. But especially when it comes to sales, sorting by country is also very important! Most people are only interested in selected areas.
Ok noted! I will try to find some balance between everything :) I'm waiting on one final parcel and then can start preparing the displays!
kevinkk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:09 pm I've tried selling insect displays of various sizes (riker mounts) of different beetle and lep species.
Complete waste of time.
While my relatives were supportive and always said that I should try and sell my displays at craft
fairs and other venues, I never sold a thing.
Maybe it's the customer base here in the USA, in any case, maybe you might have luck selling individual specimens
or in a different country, or a much larger city. I live in a tourist town- so it wasn't like locals only.
I do alright at a local market here in Melbourne with plain single specimen frames. But I've become a touch disenchanted with what actually sells. It's always the same dozen or so species that everyone wants - scorpions, ulysses, blumei, acherontia, didius, rhino beetles, leaf insects and a few others.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Retail is difficult, I've tried it a couple times, with a store front, and online. The public is fickle and sellers need a variety of inventory as well
as some sort of advertising.
I do recall selling a number of riker mounts to a neighbor one holiday season, but I probably lost money on the specimens which I'd raised or
bought as livestock.
Anyway, most people want wood frames or shadow boxes for display, and it's only natural that they like the shiny objects and the unusual.
What I find cool as a collector, may be completely different than what catches people's eye.