Papilio memnon ♀ from Seram?

Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Papilio memnon ♀ from Seram?

Post by Leonard187 »

Herein is a specimen of Papilio memnon from my friend, but its label only sighed from Seram. So which subspecies should it be?Furthermore, it seems much similar as ssp. christianae from Belitung according to pics posted by Adam, but Seram is far away from Belitung. Whether its an error on the label?
Picture 3 and 4 were purchased from Bali Island, so are they both ssp. memnon? and may I know the form name of them all?
P m.jpg
P m.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 716 times
P m-.jpg
P m-.jpg (57.86 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Re: Papilio memnon ♀ from Seram?

Post by Leonard187 »

Pictures 3 and 4
Bali 1.jpg
Bali 1.jpg (114.01 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Bali 2.jpg
Bali 2.jpg (111.85 KiB) Viewed 715 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Yes, P. memnon memnon has been present in the South Moluccas since at least about 1900. I seem to remember Fruhstorfer mentioned their presence in one of his papers. Presumably Citrus plants containing eggs or larvae were shipped from Java with Javanese who moved east before then. I have a number of specimens from Ambon, Ceram and Buru. Luckily it seems they don't hybridise with P. deiphobus.

Your friend's female from Ceram is one of the variable ssp. memnon female forms with forewings that mimic Atrophaneura nox, which of course does not occur in Ceram and hindwings that are unlike the normal A. nox mimic form from Java/Bali. I have one from Bali that is intermediate, similar to this one, but most specimens with a white band across the forewing have dark hindwings (f. laomedon Cramer, 1775).

The two tailed females from Bali are indeed ssp. memnon; both are f. achates Sulzer, 1776, but they vary in the colour of the triangle at the base of the forewing.

Adam.
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Post by Leonard187 »

adamcotton wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:51 am Yes, P. memnon memnon has been present in the South Moluccas since at least about 1900. I seem to remember Fruhstorfer mentioned their presence in one of his papers. Presumably Citrus plants containing eggs or larvae were shipped from Java with Javanese who moved east before then. I have a number of specimens from Ambon, Ceram and Buru. Luckily it seems they don't hybridise with P. deiphobus.

Your friend's female from Ceram is one of the variable ssp. memnon female forms with forewings that mimic Atrophaneura nox, which of course does not occur in Ceram and hindwings that are unlike the normal A. nox mimic form from Java/Bali. I have one from Bali that is intermediate, similar to this one, but most specimens with a white band across the forewing have dark hindwings (f. laomedon Cramer, 1775).

The two tailed females from Bali are indeed ssp. memnon; both are f. achates Sulzer, 1776, but they vary in the colour of the triangle at the base of the forewing.

Adam.
Thank you Adam, that is terribly difficult to me to determine the subspecies since individuals can be transported from one location to another >0<.
I ve read a paper (DOI:10.1002/ece3.5182) about mimicry of female Papilio polytes, which said the ratio of tailed females (f.polytes) increased in the Ryukyu Islands since the model Pachliopta aristolochiae moved there.
I still have a confusion to consult you. Since Papilio theseus separate to Papilio polytes, there are no dark form of P. polytes now? I've seen some 'dark' female individuals without white spot on their hindwings (different from f. theseus from Indonesia), so that might be a different form or just variable of f.polytes? I've aslo seen several 'intermediates' with slight or small white spots as well as aligned spots similar as male-like form (f.cyrus) but much larger spots. If possible, could you please list the form of polytes, theseus and alphenor? I'm so sorry that I have so many questions to trouble you because the taxonomy is not my major (my major is phytochemistry >_<).
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Leonard187 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:19 am that is terribly difficult to me to determine the subspecies since individuals can be transported from one location to another
Luckily it doesn't seem to happen much nowadays, since Citrus plants are doused with systemic insecticides as soon as they are planted in pots. Also I expect there is much less long distance transportation of Citrus too.

Of course, there also needs to be a significant number of eggs/larvae/pupae transported on Citrus at the same time for any butterflies that emerge to actually start a viable population.

Adam.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I started a new topic called Papilio polytes ssp. & ♀ forms at
viewtopic.php?t=1126
to reply to your questions about that species and relatives.

Adam.
Leonard187
Reactions:
China

Post by Leonard187 »

adamcotton wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:40 am I started a new topic called Papilio polytes ssp. & ♀ forms at
viewtopic.php?t=1126
to reply to your questions about that species and relatives.

Adam.
Thank you Adam, and I will learn it carefully.