Butterfly Replicas contact

General discussion on entomology
prelson
Reactions:
United States of America

Butterfly Replicas contact

Post by prelson »

I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum on which to ask this.

Some years ago, there was a fellow (Mike Gissick is the name that comes to mind but that could be wrong) who did beautiful work under his company "Butterfly Replicas, LTD". That company is no longer active, but I was wondering if anyone had contact information for him, so that I might inquire if he was still able (and willing) to do a piece.

Thanks.

Peter R
New York, USA
Bugplutofarmlandwind
Reactions:
American Samoa

Re: Butterfly Replicas contact

Post by Bugplutofarmlandwind »

We're all here to help each other out, so fire away with your question! Now, regarding Mike Gissick and his awesome work at Butterfly Replicas, LTD, it's a bummer they're no longer active. However, I totally understand your curiosity to reach out and see if he's still up for creating a masterpiece. While I don't have his contact info on hand, I'm sure someone in the community might have a lead.
prelson
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by prelson »

My question was whether Mike could make for me an "Argema Besanti" replica without have access to a "real one". I've seen what he was able to do when he had a real specimen, and I'd not expect as much (but I'd hope for something close).
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

prelson wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:13 pm My question was whether Mike could make for me an "Argema Besanti" replica without have access to a "real one". I've seen what he was able to do when he had a real specimen, and I'd not expect as much (but I'd hope for something close).
I'd never even heard of Argema besanti until now, but interestingly, one of the first things suggested when I put in the name on Google's image search, was a link to a replica of it -

https://www.moth-and-myth.com/products/ ... insect-set
prelson
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by prelson »

It's very kind of you to take the time to mention this. It doesn't happen to meet what I'm looking for in terms of "realism", but it does look nicely done.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

There are only 4 species attributed to the genus Argema.
Two of them --- mittrei and mimosae are common in the
hobby but, the other two are considered quite rarely seen
in collections or encoutered (in life) !

It seems that A. besanti and A. kuhnei are either very
localized in distribution or both may come from regions
where civil unrest or outright danger exists; making
collecting of them hazardous.

It could well be that the foodplants of both species are
still as yet unknown or at least no one has had any too
much success at breeding the species.

They are RARELY offered for any sale....
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

In doing some quick cross referencing of some of my literature I found that A. besanti is known only from Tanzania and Kenya.

It has a common name: The equinox moth

I like that --- what a great name....

Both of those countries are sizable and stable (government wise) so the species there must be localized and since the moths don't live long as adults the window for capturing any nice specimens must be small.

Of course, if there are any collectors there --- that is locals then they probably focus more on collecting butterflies or large beetles rather than much in the way of moths. Their target species are those which they best know to be worth money to them....
Borearctia
Reactions:
Cambodia

Post by Borearctia »

Argema kuhnei seems to occur at altitudes above 1500m. At least the 3 specimens in my collection were caught at altitudes between 1500 and 2000m.
A. kuhnei has already been successfully bred.
A subspecies of A. kuhnei has also been described from Zambia:
Argema kuhnei katangensis (Bouyer 2008).
Altogether there are 5 species in the genus Argema - the last described species is Argema fournieri (Darge 1971).
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Very interesting Borearctia !
So, it must be that this species higher altitude occurrence along with (perhaps) a localized one as well is why this species is so rarely seen on the market or in collections.

It is fascinating that it has been successfully bred and with that I am surprised that's small bred batches aren't released to take advantage of the scarcity on the market.

Have never seen a specimen of A. fournieri....
Borearctia
Reactions:
Cambodia

Post by Borearctia »

There have been doubts in the past whether Argema fournieri is a "good species" or only a subspecies of A. mimosae.
According to Bold, however, the species status seems to be assured.
There are also a number of illustrations there, as well as of the other Argema species.
https://v3.boldsystems.org/index.php/Ta ... axid=23092
https://v3.boldsystems.org/index.php/Ta ... xid=725719
The rare Argema species are offered from time to time, but are relatively expensive. A. besanti will not be available in the trade for less than 500 Euros. However, prices of more than 1000 Euros can be achieved. :o Local catchers collecting at the site offer them for about 200 EURO.
https://www.gazette-drouot.com/lots/377 ... c2-bb-----
2 - 3 years ago A. fournieri from the Darge collection was sold for a moderate price of 150 EURO at an auction in France. (if I remember correctly)
prelson
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by prelson »

@Borearctica, it seems that you might speak French. Even with Google translate I could not make much headway in understanding the gazette-druout.com site. It seems to be an auction site. Were the lots that you show things that are up for auction now? Might you have advice on how to participate (in particular for someone who does not speak French)?