Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Global travel collecting

Post by Jshuey »

Chuck wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:53 pm
kevinkk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:55 pm Although I've "lost" a kayak and other equipment, it was sneak thieves that saw an opportunity.
Ah yes, the opportunistic petty thieves. Overall, I would say that petty theft (particularly from foreigners) has a level of cultural acceptance in many places. Certainly in parts of, or most of, Latin America.
In my travels, I've had exactly two "petty" experiences. In one case, I guy pumping gas in Merida Mexico, took my 200 pesos, and then pulled out 20 pesos and claimed that's what I gave him. I simply reached into his pocket and pulled my two one hundred peso notes out, and told him what for. That pretty much settled that! (note that they wear lab-coat like jackets at some service stations - so easy to reach in in a retrieve my money).

More impactful, I left a zip lock bag full of cigars too close to a cabin window once in the Dominican Republic. Someone reached in and swiped 5 of the cigars (leaving about 10 probably thinking I wouldn't notice). In the frigg'in cigar capital of the world!

Compare that to life in a small Indiana town, where once every couple of years people swipe something or other off the back patio - most recently a butane lighter my son gave me as a gift. But more typically, those little solar-powered lights you stick in flower pots.

Petty crime is everywhere,
John
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Same for me. I nearly had zero troubles during my collecting trips. Those I can remember :
- we had to leave a village in the Baliem Valley (New Guinea) because we were "not welcome". But our guide understood fastly it was safer to leave the village.
- my backpack with all butterflies and a net were stolen in my car in Greece (I was on the beach swimming).
- I have been blackmailed few dollars by Indonesian authorities (but that's part of the tourist fee).

Then of course, from time to time, you will be charged more than locals... but well, in the tropics, life is not expensive at all and you won't notice it.

This said, except West Papua, I have never been to "dangerous" countries where civil war is close but it's another topic.

Of course, I won't recommend a trip to North Kivu or Iran as a first collecting trip abroad ! :)

But I am sure that when I will be old, my collecting trips abroad will be in the top list of my great souvenirs.
papiliotheona
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by papiliotheona »

In all truth there's a lot of insanity that happens here too in the good 'ol US of A. Private property issues are hairy, since often we are forced into subpar areas to collect since the "best" and most trouble-free areas are public lands with off-limits designations (NPS, FWS, state parks/reserves, some BLM monuments, stupid county open spaces, etc).

One common one is an irate landowner claiming (very dubiously) that they own ALL the property, on both sides of the road, within 360 degrees of the edge of their little tiny lot that you got a bit too close to. You know they are full of crap, and don't have a leg to stand on (what methed-out old hermit has the $$$ to own acres and acres of prime forest real estate?), but they are willing to call the police to settle the score (and are quite possibly armed) and it's not like you can just whip out a county map of property boundaries then and there to shove in their face.

Another one is property owners whose land you accidentally fudged on not being convinced by you showing them the specimens, larvae, etc. that you found and *insisting* you must be there to rob them and this is all an elaborate ruse. I get that they didn't like that I was there without permission but this is just pathetic, folks. (On the flipside, one such ranch manager was in fact won-over by my specimens during a recent "oopsie" moment, and let me carry on.)

Yet another is when there is public or checkerboard land, but private property owners block the entire access road, and refuse to provide an easement for public access to land. I don't know how this is legal, but it is. It's a bigger thing in places like Texas than California or Arizona, but happens everywhere.

I haven't had kit stolen in the field yet, save for one stupid self-inflicted wound in the Huachucas of SE Arizona summer of 2009 when I stupidly left my car windows open (it was a scorching hot day) in the woods with my phone, digital camera, etc. in plain sight.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Jshuey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm
More impactful, I left a zip lock bag full of cigars too close to a cabin window once in the Dominican Republic. Someone reached in and swiped 5 of the cigars (leaving about 10 probably thinking I wouldn't notice). In the frigg'in cigar capital of the world!
I beg to disagree John. Much as I like Dominican cigars, they're not a patch on Cuban, but I guess, as an American, you can't go there. ;)
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

bobw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm
I beg to disagree John. Much as I like Dominican cigars, they're not a patch on Cuban, but I guess, as an American, you can't go there. ;)
You can get anything you want here in the US - but it takes a bit of work. But the irony - was the stolen cigars were a mix of Nicaraguan and Honduran. So, I replaced them with Dominican sticks, which thanks to a hefty VAT - cost about twice as much there as I can buy them in the US...

j
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Jshuey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
bobw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm
You can get anything you want here in the US - but it takes a bit of work. But the irony - was the stolen cigars were a mix of Nicaraguan and Honduran. So, I replaced them with Dominican sticks, which thanks to a hefty VAT - cost about twice as much there as I can buy them in the US...

j
I know the feeling. I used to import them from Switzerland and sometimes got away with it. Then they started picking them up at customs and charging duty, but it was still a lot cheaper. Now, the duty's so much that it's cheaper to buy them here. But I can go to Spain for a long weekend, buy my duty free allowance, have a great weekend away and still save a fair amount!
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Moderator's WARNING:
Smoking is bad for the health.

Just in case anyone reading this thinks that Insectnet promotes unhealthy habits.
;)

Mind you, the smoke helps protect specimens from pest infestations!

Adam.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

PS. Tobacco and alcohol are both useful in entomology, but personally I do not imbibe either. At the same time, I believe everyone is free to choose what they want to do.

Adam.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

I don't smoke, but I always have cigarettes on me when I am in New Guinea. Locals may ask you some cigarettes and it is rather rude to enter their land without giving some.
The good practice is to have a guide who will ask before entering a "land" the cost and negotiate it. Usually a pack of cigarettes + few dollars will make the job. If you don't negotiate "before", then they will ask you to pay "to leave the land"... and here the cost can be huge as you are seen as a very rude man that should be punished for his rudeness.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Some fearmongering has been presented concerning foreign languages, this warrants some clarification.

Humans are adept at learning foreign languages. It is not for the Mensa, or the linguistic experts. Even the most simple, uneducated, and slow person can learn multiple languages through exposure. Immersion in a language for 30 days is virtual assurance that one will learn to speak a foreign language.

Most remote villagers speak several languages, despite a lack of formal education. I know people who have no high school (ages ~15-18) education and speak five languages. So I have no doubt everyone here can, with exposure, pick up a language quickly.

There are more difficult languages such as Russian, Mandarin (tones), and Lokuru. But in general, there actually isn't that much to learn to express the vast majority of needs: toilet, doctor, police, pharmacy, "where is", "I need". You don't have to be fluent to be understood; the exception might be Mandarin in which you think you're ordering an orange juice yet the server clearly hears "chainsaw." In Mandarin, those fluent in the language use tones, so cannot discern or extrapolate your "chainsaw" into "orange juice", in contrast to, say, a German at a US pub ordering a "bear" or an Australian ordering in "Beeyah."

Yes, in very remote areas the local may not speak one of the common European languages, but this is increasingly rare. Anywhere close to urban centers most will speak English, Spanish, French, or Mandarin. For English speakers in Latin America, you most likely know "el banjo", "mariposa", and "cervesa"; locals understand things like "pharmacy" and "police" because it's readily translatable into Spanish.

Attempting to speak the local (foreign) language can be a door opener. It demonstrates respect and equality, and effort. Yes, 1% of the time you might offend someone, but 80% of the time it's accepted well, and 19% of the time your pathetic attempt will generate laughter, which is one of the greatest ways to start bonding.

Foreign languages may present a challenge, but for the open minded they are not insurmountable.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

wollastoni wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am
The good practice is to have a guide who will ask before entering a "land" the cost and negotiate it. Usually a pack of cigarettes + few dollars will make the job. If you don't negotiate "before", then they will ask you to pay "to leave the land"... and here the cost can be huge as you are seen as a very rude man that should be punished for his rudeness.
This is virtually universal, including in USA.

Look at it from the landowner's perspective. They work the land, they work it hard. But things are rather consistent.

Then you show up with your butterfly net.

You are bringing nothing to their life, whether in Montana or Ecuador. Your presence can be of zero benefit. In fact, quite the opposite: your presence is likely to be a problem.

First, the common anecdote which I've advised many times: "never trust a white man." Locals think it's odd coming from me, but it's true. They well known that historically white men bring problems, they virtually never improve any situation. They're always up to something. This works in Montana too: what good have urban or suburban people ever brought? Answer is "nothing".

At one roadblock it was quickly explained "no white men allowed past, no exceptions" (I understand the local language.) Despite having a local guide, that was set in stone. The only way we got past after 30 minutes was because we'd brought a third person with a relative in the destination village. On Guadalcanal, several researcher friends who are white, born on Guadalcanal, are not allowed in some remote areas, so have to send Guadalcanal natives. These researchers KNOW they are not permitted there, and know better to push their luck because they are at serious risk of physical injury or death.

Second, your butterfly net. What are you doing here? The worst answer is "I'm looking for endangered butterflies." Oh, what bad could possibly come from your good intent? Well, if you find one and report it, their land could be inundated by (in USA) USFWS, BLM (Bureau of Land Management), etc. and the next thing they know they've lost the grazing rights on 1000 acres. God forbid you find an arrowhead too.

You bring nothing to the table, you're only a problem.

The same in rural/ remote foreign areas. You bring nothing but problems. They already know that butterfly lives on their land, they don't need you to tell them. And they don't need more of your type running around smashing gardens and making noise. Oh dear, you ran out of food, you got hurt. Well, then somebody has to care for you...more of a drain.

Those who precede you have already put a nail in your coffin. Many pretend to be hikers or ecologists or whatever, but actually represent the interests of mining, logging, or other unwanted concerns. Nothing good came of them- what good can come from you. Who are you really?

On that, even collectors cause problems. I arrived at the Solomon Islands Dept of Natural Resources office to get an export permit. Sitting down with the #2 guy, my friend, I said that and his eyes lit afire, and as dark as his skin was I could see the red flush of extreme anger. Two very well known lepidopterists had come into country unannounced, collected, and skipped the country. To say that the DNR staff was angry is an understatement. "NO PERMITS!" took a while to get past, even when I had established interpersonal and professional relationships.

How would you feel if you came home to find that your brother's family was playing volleyball in your back yard and drinking your sodas and beer? It's universal that property ownership, whether personal or communal, is to be respected. So by showing up in Arizona ranch land or the deepest of Amazon, you're breaking a globally universal social norm, if nothing else.

As wollastoni cited, acknowledging land rights is respectful. In many cultures, the simplest, cheapest gift is expected. In Fiji, one brings Kava as a gift for the chief- even though they have PLENTY of Kava. Then, you will sit and drink that Kava with them. In Idaho, you go from farmhouse to farmhouse to find out who owns the land you want to explore, provide a simple gift (perhaps cigarettes, perhaps some 30-30 ammo) and maybe load some cow manure. Whether Fiji or Idaho, AFTER they get some of your time to analyze you, you might be granted access. And if you are, you may get the huge benefit of a ride, a guide, and free dinner.

If you don't take the time to respect the landowners, or if you think it's stupid, you have nobody to blame for being kicked out. There rules may differ slightly between Omaha and the Nile Delta, but at the core they're the same. Respect or pay the price.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Chuck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm Foreign languages may present a challenge, but for the open minded they are not insurmountable.
Easy. After a week in Naples, I was told by my sister's husband I was speaking better than people who had been at the base for more than a year.
It's a sign of respect. Without a "smartphone".
Same with access, private property is that way for a reason.
Cassidinae
Reactions:
Czech Republic

Post by Cassidinae »

Chuck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm
If you don't take the time to respect the landowners,
Landowners are fine (usually). But the worst are the officials :) They are often difficult (even impossible) to deal with.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Hey Tim, we're the same age so I figured id pop in and give some of my thoughts.

Collecting wise, the easiest way to get permits in SA is to have a university endorsement. So my suggestion is find where you want to go based on permit requirements, then find a research institute, station or park ranger station etc in the local you want. Then call them up or email them and ask if they can provide housing for researchers.

For most of the travel I do for collecting I usually find a research or biological station that accepts volunteers. These stations have housing for the volunteers usually and if they have space they will allow you to stay there - usually free of cost. Often times they also have a kitchen for food preparation.

In South America if you're eating rice and beans then your food cost is likely to be under 10$ a day. Flights to places like CR (where I just returned from) are 500-600$ round trip. So you could totally do a south american collecting trip for a month and do it for less than 1000$

The biggest challenge for you would be language barrier unless you speak fluent Spanish.

While I was in costa rica I was able to find short term jobs that paid/housed me and balance that out with free housing stays in a few national parks/conservation areas. In the end the trip cost came out to a net <1K for 5 months. You can see more about this trip on my IG @ed_tomologist and probably on my blog soon too!

Start planning now and next Fall you could be collecting in the tropics.
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐