Collecting in Peninsular Malaysia

Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
centipededede
Reactions:
Romania

Collecting in Peninsular Malaysia

Post by centipededede »

Hello. I might have a chance to collect some centipedes (mainly focusing on Geophilomorphs and Lithobiomorphs) in Pahang, Malaysia next year. I have read through the legislation covering collecting and exporting biological material and I plan to get in touch with the local branch of the Wildlife and Parks department to enquire about permits.
I will not be collecting in any National Parks or protected areas but I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with collecting in peninsular Malaysia and safely and legally exporting material collected there. Is it possible to sort out permits and such paperwork without a local collaborator to help with the process? To my knowledge, legislation around collecting is much more lax than in Sarawak/Sabah and Indonesia but I couldn't find much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Re: Collecting in Peninsular Malaysia

Post by wollastoni »

If you are on Facebook, contact "Nic Lepido Asia". He is a French entomologist based in Kuala Lumpur for the last 15 years. He will be able to inform you about the local rules.
If you are not, I can give you his email in private message.