Ring light techniques?

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Ring light techniques?

Post by Chuck »

Frustrated that all of my specimen photos are either too dark (cloudy day) or have a shadow, I broke down and bought a ring light.

This one is low-end, and you get what you pay for. It wasn't as shown on the box, and it isn't what's in the instructions. Some parts discussed in the manual have been very much made cheaper. The friction rings to hold arm position don't work well. Typical Amazon junk. But it was inexpensive (no, it was cheap. There is a difference.)

Anyway, it does throw out nice light. It does have an automatic shutter remote, which does sync with Bluetooth to my phone.

The idea then, I guess, is to get the tripod and light set up over a surface, and rotate specimens under it. That way the same heads-up angle is achieved with correct lighting.

Does anyone have any tricks or hints to using a ring light?
kmhcloseups
Reactions:
Peru

Re: Ring light techniques?

Post by kmhcloseups »

I'm not sure if you are making images of live insects or collection specimens but either way, I'm not a fan of ring lights. They are great for dental work.

Light illuminates, shadow defines. Because of this I like to get my light source completely off axis from my camera lens. This allows for shadow to better define your subject and make details pop. For moths and other cooperative subjects (very little movement), I use a table top studio or light cube. One side of the box is LED lit and the other sides are reflective to bounce back and wrap the light around the subject. I do not employ the box with the LED side on top, but on one side or the other to really bring out detail.

Depending on the size you select, many of these cubes go for under $100 - cheap as photography goes.