Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Cartoon name for new species?

Post by Jshuey »

I have a bug that I'm about 90% sure is a new one. It's in a genus (Aguna - Hesperiidae) where adults are mostly indistinguishable from one another, until of course, you dissect them.

Well, I've dissected about 70 of them recently, and have stumbled on three definite new species, plus this one. Turns out that there 13 (or 14) species present in NE Peru - pretty amazing! It's distinguishing characteristics are the little sclerotized knob on the harp and the gear-like ampulla that looks exactly like Lisa Simpson's hair-do that sits on top of the harp. I suggested to my wife that I name it after Lisa - and she thinks it's a stupid idea. Something like lisimpsonia.

What do you think? I'm still not entirely convinced that it is new - it looks a lot like A. spatulata. But I have three of the potentially new ones, and seven spatulata - and the differences are very consistent (but minor).

John
LISA SIMPSON

Aguna spatulata
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Cartoon name for new species?

Post by jhyatt »

Are the new one and spatulata sympatric? No difference at all in wing morphology? Seems like a pretty subtle difference to hang a new name on... wonder what DNA analysis might show? That'd at least be a 2nd character to consider.

Nice work,
jh
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I think lisimpsonia is a great idea!

John Tennent told me he tried to get Polyura thane pushed through; the reviewers couldn't figure out what he was up to, but knew he was up to something, so wouldn't approve. Snobs.

I threatened to name a new butterfly tennentisapennis but he said he'd kill me. For another bug, I'd suggested naming it for one of my collaborators with "rex" appended to his/ the species name. That didn't go either.

I say do it; if there's that many species, what are you going to name them all based on- color?
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

It's about time. Except possibly for Star Trek, The Simpsons is the greatest tv show of all time. There is a Simpsons episode for every facet of modern
life.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

jhyatt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:05 pm Are the new one and spatulata sympatric? No difference at all in wing morphology? Seems like a pretty subtle difference to hang a new name on... wonder what DNA analysis might show? That'd at least be a 2nd character to consider.

Nice work,
jh
Yes, the potential new one is sympatric with both spatulata and 6 other species that cannot be separated by wing pattern alone. The biggest wing pattern element that differs between species is tail length! And most of these species have at best, subtlety different genetalia (see below). The potential new species is actually easier to separate than most of the others. All four of the species below are sympatric with the potential new one.

John

eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

Yeah, I say go for it!

Chuck: rex :)