Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Light collecting

Post by Trehopr1 »

Wow, 👀😮🎉🎉 those are some INCREDIBLE lighting set-ups John ! 🙏

They look as though they will "hoover-in" the local forest AND field. That's some serious "mothing" that's going to be going on there....

I conservatively collect at my rather meager moth lighting setup. I only keep the occasional GOOD looking saturniid, catocala, sphinx, or arctiid but, bother with little else.

It's enough for me to process the material wiithin the next day or two. I couldn't possibly work-up much else.

All the best though as those are envy-able set-ups !
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hello Trehopr1,

Many Thanks for the generous compliments. When I retired in 2016 these were the kind of traps I always wanted to build & I finally had the time/spare dollars to do so, despite not being a great carpenter or electrician... :D . You should see the huge numbers of Diving beetles (7 spp. of Dytiscus) & Giant Water bugs that both traps pull in on the very rare, warm, moonless nights from mid Sept. to the 1st week of Oct.(Killer frost time).. Interestingly the majority of those bugs land inside about a 30-40 ft. circle of each trap & are easily hand collected... very few actually make it into the traps themselves.

John K. 8-)
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

@boghunter John those look like alien spacecraft, I'm surprised the cops don't show up.