Transportation of rare set butterflies

General discussion on entomology
Annarobertson1947
Reactions:
Australia

Transportation of rare set butterflies

Post by Annarobertson1947 »

Can i have some advice on bestcway to fly overseas with 3 set specimens, rare, .
Is pinned on foam on abdomen sises and 1 pin each side of base of forewings the wayvto go,
?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Transportation of rare set butterflies

Post by adamcotton »

A pin almost half way along each forewing costa and either side of the abdomen as well as base of forewings would be better.

Adam.
Annarobertson1947
Reactions:
Australia

Thanks Adam
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

I have been shipping hundreds of thousands of pinned spread lepidoptera to countries across the world for the past 60 years. Each type and size of insect requires a different approach. Goal is to use your absolute best effort which usually turns out to be the most costly. Tiny, medium and large heavy specimens, e.g. beetles, sphingids, grasshoppers.... requires securing each and every specimen with bracing insect pins, a minimum of 4 bracing pins, (two) -one each side of abdomen, and (two) one against the costal edge of each forewing at a point of 20-40% the distance outward (stronger part of forewing). Large beetles may require six to 10 or more bracing pins. Never dry beetles with legs extended. And never ship beetles or other insects with extended legs. If you do in no time your legs extended specimens will be legless and worthless.

Also specimens which twirl on the pins should be reattached to the pin itself before shipping. Never ship a twirling specimen. I usually use a cement available here in the USA 'Testors' cement for plastic models. Less than a drop on the pin does the trick. More often stainless steel pins need cementing.
The pinned spread specimens need to be inserted into a good quality pinning/shipping box with a foam type bottom (cardboard bottom will result into a disaster).

Next thing to address is the larger good quality stronger outer shipping box. Each internal box of pinned specimens should be cushioned with e.g. two or more layers of bubble wrap sheeting (or similar) on every inner box of pinned specimens. And further cushioned well away from touching any inner wall of the larger box.

I have had no problems attributable to my fault using these methods, micro-leps to saturnids and all sizes of beetles and other insects. One shipment I remember well, about 800 delicate pinned spread labeled clearwing moths shipped through the mail system from Louisiana to the country of Austria. see two examples of material sent. Consider how many hands this large parcel passed through, and how many transfers involving planes, boats, trains, etc were involved. That shipment was received in Austria, the only damage was a single loose abdomen. Don't forget that psocids and dermestids can infiltrate you shipping box along the way if not properly enclosed. I encase the outer parcel in plastic sheeting and sometime wrapping each inner pinning box with plastic wrap prevents both infiltration of pests and humidity along the way to your destination.

Most important is the proper outside labeling visible to all the persons handling the parcel. True contents of the package should be stated and visible to anyone and large FRAGILE labels should be visible on 5 of the 6 outer surfaces of the outer box. I often create duplicate labels to add to the outer box in the language of the receiving country. see attached example of a simple outer package label.
Attachments
2005 Address label  Kitching,Ian J.   and FRAGILE HANDLE W CARE.jpg
2005 Address label Kitching,Ian J. and FRAGILE HANDLE W CARE.jpg (270.52 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Sesiids in process to Puhringer.jpg
Sesiids in process to Puhringer.jpg (625.55 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
sesiids.jpg
sesiids.jpg (523.39 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I've sent pinned specimens (inc. Ornithoptera and Dynastes) from US east coast to west coast with no problems. Just do as Vernon says. I used a VERY oversized outer box (more $$) with lots of peanuts.

Do NOT ship anything fragile during the Christmas season. Do NOT ship anything of great value during this period. I won't ship anything until mid-January.
Annarobertson1947
Reactions:
Australia

Thanks guys,
Im now confident, i will be taking as hand luggage mid next yr, to overseas.
Various M.cypris inc cyanites female. Transportation in a hard case clear acrylic box with foam as main box