Thailand & Cambodia 2024

General discussion on entomology
earthling
Reactions:
United States of America

Thailand & Cambodia 2024

Post by earthling »

I will be in Thailand and Cambodia for the first two months of 2024, and while I do not actively collect (more into photography), I would be interested in visiting insect museums/zoos where possible. I know about the main ones like the Bangkok Butterfly Garden and the Banteay Srey Butterfly Center (Cambodia). Also, I believe there are a couple of others up at Chiang Mai. If anyone happens to know of any other centers, museums or zoos which are not so well known but worth the visit, feel free to mention them.

Thanks.
Jim
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Thailand & Cambodia 2024

Post by adamcotton »

Jim,

I live in Chiang Mai, and just checked with the owner that Siam Insect Zoo is open. I was worried that it had closed during covid-19 and wasn't sure if it reopened or not.

While you are in Thailand, if you want to see/photograph large assemblages of wild butterflies you should go to Kaeng Krachan National Park (west of Hua Hin) and Pang Sida National Park in the east (see Google Maps, where there is a place called 'Butterfly Mineral Lick' in the park). If you are here in January or early February it may be a little early for butterflies in Chiang Mai (most start flying from late February onwards) but Kaeng Krachan should be good as it is much further south.

Adam.
earthling
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Thailand & Cambodia 2024

Post by earthling »

Thank you Adam, the butterfly mineral lick looks great, thanks for the tip. If I get up to Chiang Mai I will certainly stop by the insect zoo.
Jim