Information: share it or keep it a secret?

General discussion on entomology
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Information: share it or keep it a secret?

Post by Chuck »

EdTomologist wrote on a topic I've been meaning to voice; he wrote "Given that my work is still to be published I don’t want to reveal too much. I also do have a concern regarding individuals using my work to sell man made aberrations but I believe it’s more important to have knowledge freely accessible."

Diametrically opposed to this, a friend of mine is the #1 world authority on a particular antique collectible. He knows EVERYTHING. But he doesn't share it. His reasoning, which has significant concern, is that in sharing the info the fraudsters will be able to accurately reproduce artifacts such that the experts can't tell. But it's more than that- if he were to publish the info then he wouldn't be sole authority.

There is of course some info one would not want to share: that which could land one in trouble, that which could endanger a species or population. But what of all the information we all hold, and don't share via publication or even a post here? I look at BOLD and GBIF and notice how much is NOT there, which is sorely needed. While this info is not intentionally withheld (more likely just don't have the time) it's a shame that it's not shared.

How do we get all this information shared? How do we motivate those who have important data to share it rather than keep it?
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Information: share it or keep it a secret?

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hi Chuck,

Indeed, a good question and I think Vernon Brou might give us a good opinion of in this matter.

Vernon says he has produced some 400+ papers on entomology related topics over his lifetime. I think that makes him one of the most prolific writers of recent times.While much of his research is based upon the captures he's made in Louisiana, new species descriptions, and general methodology of capture techniques; he has presented NEW scientific information not published previously.

He has certainly proved (time and time) again that many species of lepidoptera in his region are actually multi-brooded and NOT single or double brooded as many past references noted or assumed or plagiarized from older authors.

So, I think he's an ideal guy to reach out to for his opinion as I think he is ably qualified to answer it.

Through his tireless years of research and dedication he has produced much 1st time information not written down or documented otherwise (before).

Perhaps he will read this topic and answer....
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

I would also point out that publishing information which is new gives that author due credit and it will always remain so.

As long as the information is published through all the right channels and by a legitimately recognized outlet then the author has done his part at the "dissemination of knowledge".

What others choose to do with that information is out of the author's hands....

It is a pity that your friends expert knowledge about a particular collectible will really never serve anyone (more than himself) as whatever unpublished knowledge he has gained will die with him someday AND he will never receive due credit for its actual discovery.....
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Vernon is a driver. Clearly, he has no fear of sharing information for free, the time he's invested- with zero cash return- is amazing.

For most people, it's time. The TIME that I put into my stupid pet projects is disheartening, particularly since I rely on others and can't get what I need.

TIME is what prohibits me from, for example, photographing every specimen in my collection and sharing it. Even at a reduced effort, it's TIME- I keep thinking to photo my Ecuador skippers for John, but can't get to it.

But surely there are those who accumulate specimens of great interest who withhold that information.